PDA

View Full Version : The slow poke law

Brasscatz
06-05-2015, 10:20 AM
Here ya go, Tony. Let's see if we get a law like this in Texas.

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) -

Good news for Georgia drivers who get frustrated with people driving slowly in the left lane; not so good news for the ones driving slowly.

Many drivers will now need to pay attention to avoid getting pulled over in the left lane, thanks to one of the new Georgia laws that just went into effect on July 1, 2014.

The new "Slow Poke" law, officially known as House Bill 459, is made to reduce tailgating, road rage and traffic congestion while improving traffic flow.

This new law requires slow drivers in the left lane on a Georgia highway, interstate or expressway to move to the right when a fast car approaches them from behind. [Read More] (http://www.kltv.com/story/25929448/slow-poke-law)

NW99XJ
06-05-2015, 11:51 AM
Finally!

4.3LXJ
06-05-2015, 12:11 PM
They have one in CA that is similar, it says that if you have five cars behind you, then you have to pull over

Mudderoy
06-05-2015, 12:28 PM
They have one in CA that is similar, it says that if you have five cars behind you, then you have to pull over

Cinco!

4.3LXJ
06-05-2015, 12:31 PM
Cinco!

Only in SoCal :smiley-taunt002:

Brasscatz
06-05-2015, 02:22 PM
Most of the time I set my cruise control at about 5 over. It pisses me off when I hop in the left lane to pass people going slower with full intentions of getting back over right once over passed, and cars behind me get on my ass. I'm passing people too, and I'll be out of the way in less than 20 seconds.

abebehrmann
06-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Most of the time I set my cruise control at about 5 over. It pisses me off when I hop in the left lane to pass people going slower with full intentions of getting back over right once over passed, and cars behind me get on my ass. I'm passing people too, and I'll be out of the way in less than 20 seconds.

Hey, we drive the same way! :patriot:

Mudderoy
06-05-2015, 03:55 PM

I think I understand why. They have to slow down for you to do your stuff. I hate when I have to slow down 10 mph while the guy (or gal) is poking around the vehicle in front on them.

It's understandable why they want around them, but still frustrating to those of us that have to wait. It would have been better for them to wait 5 seconds for me to pass them, then I don't care what they do. I know you could be there all day if you tried to do it.

Lets just say no one is going to be happy.

slvmart
06-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Indiana also recently passed a similar law. Of course the left lane hogs did quite a bit of bitching.
http://www.wave3.com/story/29167963/new-indiana-law-slower-drivers-keep-right

Firemanray
06-05-2015, 05:18 PM
Actually Texas has a law like this already. When you see the "slower traffic keep right" sign the popo WILL stop you if you're cruising the left lane. I'm not sure if it applies to all 4 lane roads but I know if that sign is up it's the law.

XJ Wheeler
06-05-2015, 06:46 PM
We were actually pulled over between Houston and Beaumont for this. Don't remember if there was any vehicles behind us but three lane per side, in the left lane, not passing. But the whole reason we were over there is because Texas has a law where you're suppose to move over for emergency vehicles on the side of the road when their flashing lights are on. Two were over there with "customers" and they get us for it. :rolleyes: But they like to hassle us anyway with a commercial looking truck.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Brasscatz
06-05-2015, 07:06 PM
I've only had 2 speeding tickets in my life, and the last one was because I was stuck behind people going 50, and when I had my chance to go around I got up to 75 to get around them quickly.... and got busted. Now I maintain my speed because I'm not getting a ticket because I was being "nice" to drivers breaking the law.

Mudderoy
06-05-2015, 10:10 PM
I've only had 2 speeding tickets in my life, and the last one was because I was stuck behind people going 50, and when I had my chance to go around I got up to 75 to get around them quickly.... and got busted. Now I maintain my speed because I'm not getting a ticket because I was being "nice" to drivers breaking the law.

Radar detector unless you're driving through small Texas towns. :D

Brasscatz
06-06-2015, 10:50 AM
Radar detector unless you're driving through small Texas towns. :D

Had one for the last 10 years :D But when you get hit with a laser.... it's too late :P

nickyg
06-06-2015, 12:45 PM
They might as well call this the NickyG law.
My daily driver is a 1993 ford ranger. Going much over 65 takes a 10 mile stretch of highway and usually rattles my dental work loose.
The only way I can get a speeding ticket is if I was in a school zone.

4.3LXJ
06-06-2015, 12:57 PM
They might as well call this the NickyG law.
My daily driver is a 1993 ford ranger. Going much over 65 takes a 10 mile stretch of highway and usually rattles my dental work loose.
The only way I can get a speeding ticket is if I was in a school zone.

The military Jeep I drove in high school was like that, only it needed a downhill stretch in neutral. The school bus used to pass me on the way home :rolleye0012:

VermOkkult
06-08-2015, 12:04 AM
I cant believe this .. I toured the whole east coast with my old punk band and Columbus with Richmond, VA being 2nd was the most hardcore place i have ever been to.. we played a show on the second story of a tattoo shop on broad way. And till this day never seen people literally run through a sheetrock wall just because the mosh pit was too small singing out songs with out knowing the lyrics.. As a matter of fact my band mate backed into a dude with a "DONK" and the guy came out and asked us if we are ok and then decided to disperse because there was a cop down the street..( in miami you'd probably be shot within 2 seconds of the incident) so i can only conclude one thing..the local government needs to make money. thanks for reading i realize my story was pointless

NW99XJ
06-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Sometimes the most pointless stories are the best, or the most entertaining.
Often times I will just get on a tangent or a rant, end up speaking for quite a long time. THINKING that I'm saying something profound, interesting or entertaining, going on and on and on about this thing or that, all the while under the impression that I'm imparting some degree of knowledge onto/into the conversation (which oddly enough is sometimes one sided) ....yet the entire time I'm speaking or in the case of many of my posts, while i'm writing/typing, I end up just speaking or rambling on, without ever really saying anything at all. ;)

4.3LXJ
06-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Here is an interesting article. For instance I did not know that slow pokes were the third leading cause of road rage.

A study of road rage conducted by GfK on behalf of Expedia revealed that left lane drivers who are driving below the speed limit are the third top reason to get other drivers’ blood boiling, right after texting while driving and tailgating. It’s not surprising that more U.S. states are coming up with legislation to fine left lane hogs.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/slow-left-lane-drivers-time-speed-pay-dawdle-105032778.html

Brasscatz
06-12-2015, 02:46 PM
I vote for a bill that fines any drivers going under the speed limit :D I see it every day where drivers are going 50 in a 65 zone and it seems I'm always the one stuck behind them lol.

XJ Wheeler
06-12-2015, 05:11 PM
I vote for a bill that fines any drivers going under the speed limit :D I see it every day where drivers are going 50 in a 65 zone and it seems I'm always the one stuck behind them lol.

Jeepers would be 1/2 of all ticketed. :p

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

XJ Wheeler
06-12-2015, 05:16 PM
Here is an interesting article. For instance I did not know that slow pokes were the third leading cause of road rage.

A study of road rage conducted by GfK on behalf of Expedia revealed that left lane drivers who are driving below the speed limit are the third top reason to get other drivers’ blood boiling, right after texting while driving and tailgating. It’s not surprising that more U.S. states are coming up with legislation to fine left lane hogs.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/slow-left-lane-drivers-time-speed-pay-dawdle-105032778.html

I wonder how much of that is slow left lane drivers versus impatient people wanting to go faster than the one in front passing already at a reasonable speed...

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

4.3LXJ
06-12-2015, 05:44 PM
We get it here where the freeway goes through town. They get into the left lane to avoid slower people merging into traffic. I can see the point, but they need to speed it up if they are going to be there

Firemanray
06-12-2015, 07:05 PM
Several weeks ago I traveled from Houston to San Antonio on I-10, Friday afternoon. Bumper to bumper all the way, however, at one point we we're doing 90+mph in the left lane BUMPER to BUMPER. My GPS said my max speed for the trip was 98 and all I did was run with the traffic. (Chevy Traverse is an awesome ride)