PDA

View Full Version : Best oil filter?

Pookapotamus
05-29-2015, 08:41 PM
Yes I know I am opening a can of worms!:P But i'm going to do it anyway!!

I have been researching oil filters, looking for the best one to use, some say Wix, some Fram, some say filter area is best, some say particle size.

I myself say particle size first then filter area. I change my oil often so filter area should not be a problem and filtering the smallest possible size is top priority.

I am planning on running a dual PH8A setup but what filter do I choose? so I have been researching and here is what I have found:

Fram racing - 18 microns
Fram X-tra gaurd, extend, tough - 20
Wix - 21
Royal Purple - 25
K&N gold - 10
K&N pro - 10
Motocraft - no info
Mopar Proformance - no info
AC delco - 20
Hasting - no info
AFE - no info

let me know what oil filter you use and why??

Mudderoy
05-30-2015, 12:47 AM
Mobile1 mb301 (I think) oversized oil filter and Mobile1 High Mileage (has zinc) synthetic oil.

:link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=112)

Yes I know I am opening a can of worms!:P But i'm going to do it anyway!!

I have been researching oil filters, looking for the best one to use, some say Wix, some Fram, some say filter area is best, some say particle size.

I myself say particle size first then filter area. I change my oil often so filter area should not be a problem and filtering the smallest possible size is top priority.

I am planning on running a dual PH8A setup but what filter do I choose? so I have been researching and here is what I have found:

Fram racing - 18 microns
Fram X-tra gaurd, extend, tough - 20
Wix - 21
Royal Purple - 25
K&N gold - 10
K&N pro - 10
Motocraft - no info
Mopar Proformance - no info
AC delco - 20
Hasting - no info
AFE - no info

let me know what oil filter you use and why??

Carves
05-30-2015, 01:30 AM
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Vehicle%20Bits/Engine/Filter10d.jpg

.... coz they're made in France ... just like my little Renault Cherokee .. :smiley-scared003:

:D:D

... actually, theres two reasons I use them.

1/. The closest shop that sells oil filters - is a tractor shop and has lots of cummins bits.

2/. and I trust that cummins/fleetguard ensures that - whoever makes their filters ... makes 'em properly.

... even if they dont spec their micron ratings as other than ... OEM or better.

FWIW ... as long as you don't buy an obviously junk brand filter, and change your oil/filter regularly - I seriously doubt it matters what you use.

XJ Wheeler
05-30-2015, 04:04 AM
K&N gold wrench off filter on the jeep. A few reasons, (1) they have a valve to keep the oil up top once you've shut it off as to prevent "dry starts", (2) the case is very durable. Tightened it too much one time and had to go at it with a filter wrench. Chewed it up in all kinds of ways but never punctured. Did the same to a motorcraft (iirc) on my BII and opened up easy. (3) a test was done by one of the magazines a few years ago that placed it as one of the top two (also iirc).

Now, on our work trucks (Chevy 3500 gas 6.0l) we use ac delco. It's what the factory used and also had a good review in that test. Two trucks we've had we used those almost exclusively. The first was traded in at 316k miles and the current truck has 242k and going strong.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

cpttuna
05-30-2015, 05:45 AM
NAPA Gold 1515. I make a purchase once a year and buy in quantity and get them for about half price. They aren't considered the best or the worst, but for the price, thy are my choice.

OldFaurt
05-30-2015, 08:24 AM
NAPA Gold 1515. I make a purchase once a year and buy in quantity and get them for about half price. They aren't considered the best or the worst, but for the price, thy are my choice.

I may look into that... I have a 2,400 mile monthly commute and I change oil about every 1.5 months (3,600) miles. I am using Rotella & change the filter every other oil change.
If oil filters were cheaper, I might be inclined to change them more often!

cpttuna
05-30-2015, 08:40 PM
MY NAPA gold filters were $3.15 each this year. Hard to beat a price like that. I bought 24.

JENSSEN
06-02-2015, 03:27 PM
Don't forget Baldwin or Kralinator

Pookapotamus
06-02-2015, 03:32 PM
i will do some more research into the ones you guys just posted! thanks

Pookapotamus
06-02-2015, 03:40 PM
here is a link I found, its changing my opinions on a smaller micron rating being the way to go....
http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/05/29/ask-away-with-jeff-smith-micron-ratings-and-what-they-mean-for-your-oil-filter/

Pookapotamus
06-02-2015, 03:50 PM
I have contacted K&N, but they do not have the efficiency ratings on their filters, Fram is kinds looking like number one, best efficiency and small micron ratings: 94% efficiency @ 10 microns and 99% @ 20 Microns.

Baldwin filters, 70% @10 microns
Kralinator are apparently on par with wix, cant find much info.
Wix also does not publish efficiency ratings

looks like I might have to do a spreadsheet.....

Pookapotamus
06-02-2015, 04:29 PM
http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/637158-official-oil-filter-testing-results-thread-4g63t-4b11t.html

this guy actually did testing on the filters

Pookapotamus
06-02-2015, 04:41 PM
they have a valve to keep the oil up top once you've shut it off as to prevent "dry starts.

most filters have this.:rolleyes: but I do love the strong case and ability to wrench it off!!!

OrangeXJ
06-02-2015, 04:50 PM
Easy choice, the one that does not leak :smiley-scared003:

Pookapotamus
06-02-2015, 04:55 PM
ok best site so far! http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilterstudy.html

Mudderoy
06-03-2015, 09:23 AM
K&N
Manufacturer: Champion Laboratories
Part Number: PS-1010
Media Type: Cellulose