PDA

View Full Version : Rear pinion side u joint retainer clips.

robuilt
05-13-2015, 08:27 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/13/fb58d7cedf04fa084491b4e4319779ef.jpg
So after a recent wheeling trip, I ripped the straps off of the rear drive shaft.
I'm finally getting around to replacing the ujoint and retaining straps.
So my question is, does the pinion side ears have grooves that the retaining clips sit into like the driveshaft side end does? The new straps do not have any grooves and I cannot feel any grooves on the pinion ears.
I installed them, drove a quarter of a mile and the rear u joint made its way loose.
I have nothing to compare to as I didn't replace any u joints or inspect them on the XJ. I don't see any visible damage.
Does my question make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robuilt
05-13-2015, 09:55 PM
Ok never mind. Found out that there are only straps like I thought. Now I got to figure out why it worked itself loose.

4.3LXJ
05-13-2015, 10:36 PM
There are a couple of things to look at Rob. First is that on the yoke, there are some little ears on the outside edge of the dished part. This is all that keep the joints from slipping out. Check to see if they are there on both sides. If not, you will need to replace the yoke. Easily done on the rear end. The other issue is those straps. They can stretch. So if you haven't done so, get some new ones. Many come as a kit with the bolts, which Chrysler also recommends be replaced every time. Now, personally the way I do it is take one bolt out, then take the other bolt just loose enough you can spin the strap 180° That way the strap goes back the exact same way and the stretch is not a problem. However, if you have to replace the yoke, get the type that uses U bolts instead of straps and never have the problem again

robuilt
05-14-2015, 09:25 PM
Thanks. Yup I found one of the ears is gone. I'm looking for a replacement now. Thanks! http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/14/664326031015de9f84517d8880a924cb.jpg

robuilt
05-14-2015, 09:27 PM
I'm finding different answers for the size of the yoke nut. Any idea what size it is for a 97 XJ with an 8.25?

4.3LXJ
05-14-2015, 09:29 PM
I'm finding different answers for the size of the yoke nut. Any idea what size it is for a 97 XJ with an 8.25?

I am not sure. I just try sockets until one fits