PDA

View Full Version : Ford Pickup Trucks

TallGuyJeep
05-12-2015, 05:55 PM
My dad has been contemplating buying a truck after wanting one for many years and never having one. Does anyone have experience with the V10? Go with the V10 vs Diesel vs V8? Looking for an older truck that is ok to thrash during hunting season. We are partial to Ford but would consider a Dodge. Really any info helps, how many miles have you seen on them, anything to stay away from, bugs and tweaks, fuel economy, how they tow, break down stories, etc.

Thanks in advance!

cpttuna
05-12-2015, 06:21 PM
I have a 78 Bronco for sale

TallGuyJeep
05-12-2015, 06:45 PM
I have a 78 Bronco for sale
I love old Broncos. So does my dad. Ohio is a bit of a drive though from Utah...

cpttuna
05-12-2015, 06:49 PM
I understand. I just mailed in the picture and check to put it up for sale. I'm the original owner, but the vehicle just sits anymore.

TallGuyJeep
05-12-2015, 06:52 PM
I understand. I just mailed in the picture and check to put it up for sale. I'm the original owner, but the vehicle just sits anymore.
Surprised you would want to sell after so many years. But if it just sits i guess there's not much of a reason to keep it.

XJ Wheeler
05-12-2015, 07:53 PM
Top thing, avoid the ford 6.0 powerstroke like the plague... no, like the plague with zombie rabies.... no, like the new Cherokee! (now THATS scary)

However the 7.3 powerstroke is one of the best diesels put into light duty trucks, as well as the 5.9 cummins. Personally I like the chassis and body of the 99+ super dutys, but am also a fan of the 94-02 ram designs. But the size and beef of a super duty is undeniable.

TallGuyJeep
05-12-2015, 08:03 PM
Top thing, avoid the ford 6.0 powerstroke like the plague... no, like the plague with zombie rabies.... no, like the new Cherokee! (now THATS scary)

However the 7.3 powerstroke is one of the best diesels put into light duty trucks, as well as the 5.9 cummins. Personally I like the chassis and body of the 99+ super dutys, but am also a fan of the 94-02 ram designs. But the size and beef of a super duty is undeniable.
Hahaha If i could thank your post twice i would. Funny and informative. :D

XJ Wheeler
05-13-2015, 12:25 AM
Lol, glad to help! We've been bitten by the 6.0 and will warn whenever possible! I loved the truck but hated the engine. '03 f350 6.0 crew cab drw.

autotech98
05-13-2015, 01:08 AM
Still miss my 95 F250 extended cab. 460 ci ,5 speed with granny,4.10 gears front and back....

bigjim350
05-13-2015, 05:36 AM
At work we have 2 F450's and 4 F650's. All have a V10. 3 of them have had to have the engine replaced. All of them had between 50-60k miles. So I would stay away from them. Also I think 4 of them have had the A/C comp lock up. Not sure if that is V10 specific though.

bluedragon436
05-13-2015, 08:56 AM
I'd say if you guys are partial to the Ford's I'd definitely look for a 7.3... But myself personally like the and would log ego have a Ram w/ 5.9L CTD.. I've been wanting one for many years.. Heck I'd love to find myself an older W250 CTD and swap the body's over for an FSJ or old Willy's.. That'd make an awesome hunting rig!!

abebehrmann
05-13-2015, 08:59 AM
No firsthand experience but I've heard great things about the 7.3L Powerstroke Ford and the 12V Cummins in the Dodge. 6.0L Powerstroke had a ton of problems from the factory but from what I've read, you can get a bulletproof kit which includes new headstuds and the EGR delete, among other things which make it a lot more reliable.

Around here though, all of these diesels command a significantly higher price than the gas models. If it's just a hunting truck, and you aren't hauling a ton of stuff all the time, I would save a few $k and buy an old body style with the V8.

Mudderoy
05-13-2015, 09:16 AM
My dad has been contemplating buying a truck after wanting one for many years and never having one. Does anyone have experience with the V10? Go with the V10 vs Diesel vs V8? Looking for an older truck that is ok to thrash during hunting season. We are partial to Ford but would consider a Dodge. Really any info helps, how many miles have you seen on them, anything to stay away from, bugs and tweaks, fuel economy, how they tow, break down stories, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Back a few months when I was pricing trucks, was going to let my daughter drive it, but use it when I needed to haul stuff, the used Dodge trucks were much cheaper than Ford or Chevy. If that's true in the NEW market then I would look at the Dodge trucks. I've owned Chevy and Fords but not for many years. The Ford F150's I had required less maintenance that the Chevys, but the Chevys were 1980 and 1983, were the Fords were 1989 and 1994.

OrangeXJ
05-13-2015, 10:01 AM
I have had several Ford F 150's both personaly owned and company issued trucks. All of them I drove well over 100k with no problems.

KH96XJ
05-13-2015, 10:22 AM
Also agree to stay away from the 6.0 powerbroke. Buddy had so many issues with the motor he ended up trading it for a '14 F150 with the 5.0.

Dad has a '90 F250 extended cab long bed with the International 7.3, non turbo, that was pushing 400k miles before it was parked. One of my nephews is working on replacing hoses, water pump and such so he can drive it once he turns 16.

Dad also has a '01, +- a year, F250 crew cab with the 5.4 gas and he hasn't had any issues with it in the 10+ years he has driven it.

TallGuyJeep
05-13-2015, 10:36 AM
No firsthand experience but I've heard great things about the 7.3L Powerstroke Ford and the 12V Cummins in the Dodge. 6.0L Powerstroke had a ton of problems from the factory but from what I've read, you can get a bulletproof kit which includes new headstuds and the EGR delete, among other things which make it a lot more reliable.

Around here though, all of these diesels command a significantly higher price than the gas models. If it's just a hunting truck, and you aren't hauling a ton of stuff all the time, I would save a few $k and buy an old body style with the V8.
That is kind of what we were thinking as well. The thing is the trucks in our price range are usually higher miles so we thought maybe go with a diesel for longer life and good reliability, even though upkeep and maintenence would be more.

TallGuyJeep
05-13-2015, 10:41 AM
Dad has a '90 F250 extended cab long bed with the International 7.3, non turbo, that was pushing 400k miles before it was parked. One of my nephews is working on replacing hoses, water pump and such so he can drive it once he turns 16.

Wow, that's impressive mileage!

nickyg
05-13-2015, 11:37 AM
Don't know if it helps but here's my 2 pennies worth.
I like ford trucks. I had a 85 f150. I ran for years and traded it in on a brand new 93 ranger That I still drive today. It never had a major problem in the past 21 years. it has over 200k on it.
A friend of mine has a 88 f350 with the 7.3 diesel with over 600k and still runs strong.

TallGuyJeep
05-13-2015, 11:42 AM
Don't know if it helps but here's my 2 pennies worth.
I like ford trucks. I had a 85 f150. I ran for years and traded it in on a brand new 93 ranger That I still drive today. It never had a major problem in the past 21 years. it has over 200k on it.
A friend of mine has a 88 f350 with the 7.3 diesel with over 600k and still runs strong.
600k! That's crazy! Anything helps, Thanks for your 2 pennies. :)

XJ Wheeler
05-13-2015, 05:33 PM
Yeah, the 7.3 is awesome for reliability. It may not be the fastest but I've seen several with big miles. I will also add we've had a few Chevy trucks and they are just plain old easier to work on. Chevy put a lot of work into making them serviceable. I got it down to under a minute to change a headlight bulb in our last work truck (07 Chevy 3500 gas). Plus parts are more plentiful. Personally if you're gonna go diesel, go with a Ford 7.3 or dodge 5.9. For gas, I think Chevy has the best product. We've had a '94 Chevy 1500 5.7 for 13 years when my mom inherited it from my grandpa. It's done pretty well. 286k miles and runs strong. A few minor things and I don't know why but gm SUCKS at electronics. And the transmissions don't do the best. It's had one rebuild. But dodge trans are worse. But the 350 won't quit. It sets for several months at a time. Hook the batter up, cranks right up, smokes a little, and just goes. But with the electrical issues the dome light comes on in left turns, you have to unlock the doors from the drivers side, and the factory radio lights up but no sound. :D

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Niac
05-13-2015, 06:39 PM
My dad owned a 65 F100, and 76 F150 both with the 300 6cyl.
I owned a 92 with the 4.9L which is the same engine. It's a shame they don't make that engine anymore. At 250K I put mudders, gears, and a winch bumper on it. I sold it at 260K so I could buy the Cherokee. It was still pulling four 4X4 ATV,s 50 to 300 miles, wheeling it's self and pulling the ATV,s back home on Sunday. Before I put the mudders on it was getting 17 mph with a standard trans. and 3:07 gears. Fords are tough. It had one A/C pump, two fuel pumps, and a broken spring.
Ram is cheaper. I've had a 2000 5.9L that got 12 mph and didn't seem to have anymore trailering power than the Ford 4.9L. It had 120K on it when a deer took it out. It gave me more trouble than the Ford but not enough to stop me from buying a 2015 Ram with the 5.7L. It gets 20 mph and I've had it up to 27 mph on the interstate. It's got too much power. I'm going to kill my self in it. I haven't used it as a truck yet so can't say much about it.

TallGuyJeep
05-13-2015, 06:43 PM
Yeah, the 7.3 is awesome for reliability. It may not be the fastest but I've seen several with big miles. I will also add we've had a few Chevy trucks and they are just plain old easier to work on. Chevy put a lot of work into making them serviceable. I got it down to under a minute to change a headlight bulb in our last work truck (07 Chevy 3500 gas). Plus parts are more plentiful. Personally if you're gonna go diesel, go with a Ford 7.3 or dodge 5.9. For gas, I think Chevy has the best product. We've had a '94 Chevy 1500 5.7 for 13 years when my mom inherited it from my grandpa. It's done pretty well. 286k miles and runs strong. A few minor things and I don't know why but gm SUCKS at electronics. And the transmissions don't do the best. It's had one rebuild. But dodge trans are worse. But the 350 won't quit. It sets for several months at a time. Hook the batter up, cranks right up, smokes a little, and just goes. But with the electrical issues the dome light comes on in left turns, you have to unlock the doors from the drivers side, and the factory radio lights up but no sound. :D

I guess the main reason we would like to go Ford is we actually have first hand experience working on them. Some family have owned Dodge, but really no experience with Chevy.

TallGuyJeep
05-13-2015, 06:46 PM
My dad owned a 65 F100, and 76 F150 both with the 300 6cyl.
I owned a 92 with the 4.9L which is the same engine. It's a shame they don't make that engine anymore. At 250K I put mudders, gears, and a winch bumper on it. I sold it at 260K so I could buy the Cherokee. It was still pulling four 4X4 ATV,s 50 to 300 miles, wheeling it's self and pulling the ATV,s back home on Sunday. Before I put the mudders on it was getting 17 mph with a standard trans. and 3:07 gears. Fords are tough. It had one A/C pump, two fuel pumps, and a broken spring.
Ram is cheaper. I've had a 2000 5.9L that got 12 mph and didn't seem to have anymore trailering power than the Ford 4.9L. It had 120K on it when a deer took it out. It gave me more trouble than the Ford but not enough to stop me from buying a 2015 Ram with the 5.7L. It gets 20 mph and I've had it up to 27 mph on the interstate. It's got too much power. I'm going to kill my self in it. I haven't used it as a truck yet so can't say much about it.
My Grandpa has 90 or 91 F150, probably the same engine. Manual transmission. Has hauled us to and from the hunting grounds many times. Just last week i helped him pull a stump with it in his back yard. :) sounds like you got plenty of use out of yours.

XJ Wheeler
05-13-2015, 07:19 PM
I guess the main reason we would like to go Ford is we actually have first hand experience working on them. Some family have owned Dodge, but really no experience with Chevy.

I can definitely understand that, stick with what you know.

TallGuyJeep
05-13-2015, 07:39 PM
I can definitely understand that, stick with what you know.

But at the same time we haven't done THAT much work that we would have to relearn everything, and new challenges are fun. So keep this good feedback coming! All knowledge is useful :)

slvmart
05-15-2015, 03:49 AM
I have a low mileage 2005 F350 6.0L that has the Bulletproof Mods. Had it done at their facility, they do great work. Yes, the mods were not cheap, if you have someone do them, but they reworked the heads, I believe the seats are a known problem with the 6.0L. The truck has been reliable in general. Before modding the truck I had the turbo cleaned under warranty. I run a SCT tuner, with mild tuning, and it definitely will get our of it's own way. Also replaced a couple of wheel speed sensors. No other, non-maintenance, issues with either the engine or any other aspect of the truck.

The truck is used primarily to pull a 5th wheel Jayco but doubles as a car hauler and occasionally as a work truck.

My son has a 2011 Silverado Z71 crew (1500) and his has been relatively reliable. However, his air compressor just went out about a month ago.

rabies
05-21-2015, 09:30 AM
Top thing, avoid the ford 6.0 powerstroke like the plague... no, like rabies. (now THATS scary)

Y U NO LOVE ME? :cry:

rabies
05-21-2015, 09:41 AM
im not privy to any brand, but kinda reluctant to get anything chrysler except older jeep stuff.
if your in for a not so large truck. dodge came out with that ecodiesel. seen one the other day rather nice looking. prolly not a race car but sure would get smile seeing almost 30mpg on the highway.
then again il never ever buy brand new. maybe 3-4years old. and is $15k less :)
nissan was to get a diesal motor into their smaller trucks...if they did..i would sell a kidney to get one. toyota wont. chevy wont. fords ecoboost was a joke.
fords newer truck with aluminum body was supposedly 700lbs less. if they did aluminum frame and deisel motor in the f150, dude..that truck would last forever.

im in the same boat. i need a 4dr truck. but not one with a tiny bed like most 4drs come with. i haul junk and lumber alot. but i dont want a huge f250 etc. its just me and my small family. take in consideration. size. space. mpg. insurance, maintiance when it comes to the size of things. plus getting stuck with a big o truck.
im rambling again. lol

TallGuyJeep
05-22-2015, 01:02 AM
Yeah I'm with ya on buying new. I would be too afraid to take it on anything than a graded dirt road... [emoji14] I've actually heard good things about the ecoboost. My neighbor has one, comes with a locking rear which is nice, but i think most new trucks do these days. He says it has mad torque, has to be careful not to squeal the tires off a stop signs :)

slvmart
05-22-2015, 04:17 AM
Despite all the accolades from the media, etc. The Eco-Diesel is prone to major Tier 4 issues, just like prior hits diesels took based on EPA requirements. Check out the Ram1500Diesel.com and dieseljeeps.com, forums. Same engines in the Ram 1500 and GC. Many failures, some catastrophic, between 5k and 10k miles.

I was interested in the GC, actually my wife was as she really liked the styling. But after the known problems with the 6.0L Ford Diesel, which are fixable at a cost, I did my homework. Many out of service vehicles out there, apparently this is mainly related to the Emissions devices and software. I've read some reports that the DM motors are very reliable in other countries.

TallGuyJeep
05-22-2015, 03:04 PM
That's very interesting. Makes sense with all the emissions crap required these days. I'll have to look into it some more. Either way, an ecoboost isn't in the price range, and if it is there is definitely something wrong with it..

Thanks for the input! :)

xjzaped
05-23-2015, 10:49 PM
I've had 9 F-series trucks in 7 years. None ever made it past 142,000 miles (even my 7.3's) before needing either the engine or transmission rebuilt. I've never had bad luck with a GM product...have a hard time getting excited about Dodge trucks without a 5.9 or manual transmission.

TallGuyJeep
05-29-2015, 11:59 AM
I've had 9 F-series trucks in 7 years. None ever made it past 142,000 miles (even my 7.3's) before needing either the engine or transmission rebuilt. I've never had bad luck with a GM product...have a hard time getting excited about Dodge trucks without a 5.9 or manual transmission.
That's not a very good track record... Work trucks or personal? Do a lot of towing?

xjzaped
05-29-2015, 12:37 PM
5 work trucks, 4 personal. The work trucks had probably close to 10,000 hours on them but seemed like around 85k the transmissions would go and in one case it took the engine with it. One work truck caught on fire at random…no towing but they idled all day generally but on average I was only putting 40-50 miles a day on them.

My personal trucks were all treated better than the GM I have. Very little towing but I was running 100-200 miles a day on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk