PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Chevy Sonic

Joliet Johnny
05-08-2015, 01:52 AM
Just got back from Florida in a rented 2015 Sonic, btw saw a really nice doorless XJ in Clearwater Beach.

Pros:
Enormous trunk, easily fit 2 large suitcases, Florida beer and misc souvenirs.
Acceleration was acceptable when passing @75
The steering wheel was awesome an I want one for the XJ
No complaints on the steering or shifting both were great

Cons:
Only 37mpg, the worst ever of all the rented cars
Hard to see out the back, they made the body to high-see new camaro
The seats were horrible for a long trip, my butt was numb 2 days later
Incredibly hard to vacuum, yes a rental car but it was full of sand and what not
Had 10k on it and rattles lived in the dash and door panels
The radio couldn't make up its mind if it wanted my phone to connect to it

I wasn't that impressed and my other two options were a Toyota Yaris with no cruise control or a new Liberty aka Cherokee for $20 more per day. The car wasn't terrible looking for what it is and had one of those cool switch blade keys. I give it 1wd out of a possible 4.

abebehrmann
05-08-2015, 04:32 PM
Just got back from Florida in a rented 2015 Sonic, btw saw a really nice doorless XJ in Clearwater Beach.

Pros:
Enormous trunk, easily fit 2 large suitcases, Florida beer and misc souvenirs.
Acceleration was acceptable when passing @75
The steering wheel was awesome an I want one for the XJ
No complaints on the steering or shifting both were great

Cons:
Only 37mpg, the worst ever of all the rented cars
Hard to see out the back, they made the body to high-see new camaro
The seats were horrible for a long trip, my butt was numb 2 days later
Incredibly hard to vacuum, yes a rental car but it was full of sand and what not
Had 10k on it and rattles lived in the dash and door panels
The radio couldn't make up its mind if it wanted my phone to connect to it

I wasn't that impressed and my other two options were a Toyota Yaris with no cruise control or a new Liberty aka Cherokee for $20 more per day. The car wasn't terrible looking for what it is and had one of those cool switch blade keys. I give it 1wd out of a possible 4.

What rental car would you recommend? I have an 18hour (each way) trip coming up soon and am starting to make these sorts of plans.

XJ Wheeler
05-08-2015, 05:41 PM
We had a Kia optima a but over a year ago. Loved it. Actually wanted one after that. Big enough car to fit plenty of stuff and people but easily gets over 30 mpg average. Pushed it to 40 at one point.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Brasscatz
05-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Over the years, I've had many rentals. Fusion, Malibu's and Grand Prix, Dodge Caravan, Cruze, etc. Ireland rental was a Nissan Micra and the rental in Scotland, and by far my favorite, a VW Golf TDI. It's easier when work pays for the rental and the gas, but paying for it myself I'd stay away from domestic compacts. They tend to feel really cheap after even 5k miles of rental customers :D

Joliet Johnny
05-12-2015, 11:48 PM
What rental car would you recommend? I have an 18hour (each way) trip coming up soon and am starting to make these sorts of plans.

Depends, I think if it's 18hr non stop your butt will thank you if you find a more firm seat domestic cars seem to have softer seats Japan seems to give you very firm seats and Europe is in the air. So far my favorite rental was a Prius to go basically from Chicago to Orlando.