PDA

View Full Version : If your fuel tank has to be lowered

cpttuna
04-20-2015, 07:09 PM
I had to have my fuel tank removed at the shop today. Because I had heard previously on this site that J-bolts were hard to find and new ones(52100362AB) were $28, I made a couple of extras out of stainless steel. I included them with the parts needed for todays work. The mechanic used them because A: the nut on the first bolt was beyond deep socket range and broke off when he used a wrench and B: it saved him time and me money to use a cutoff wheel instead. So, if you have to have tank lowered or removed, consider providing a set of J-bolts in case the above scenario might present itself.

Poorboy
04-20-2015, 07:19 PM
If this is an XJ, Unless the tank is being replaced, there is no need to lower it... Fuel pump can.be changed it with the tank in place.

Sent from my potato by Tapatalk.

cpttuna
04-20-2015, 07:26 PM
mine was leaking. still no need to lower it?

Poorboy
04-20-2015, 08:02 PM
Depends on where the leak is/was..

If it's from the fuel pump mounting gasket, no need to lower the tank. Just change out the gasket.

If it's somewhere else on the tank, then yes, do lower it check it out.

BlackYeti
04-21-2015, 12:25 PM
If this is an XJ, Unless the tank is being replaced, there is no need to lower it... Fuel pump can.be changed it with the tank in place.

The fuel pump on the 97+ are on the top of the tank... Not in the front. If you wish to change the pump on them, you have to drop the tank.
I have had a 91 and now have a 99.

NW99XJ
04-21-2015, 01:15 PM
The fuel pump on the 97+ are on the top of the tank... Not in the front. If you wish to change the pump on them, you have to drop the tank.
This is true.
Late model XJ's (97-01) have a slightly different tank than previous models.

Poorboy
04-21-2015, 02:48 PM
I was unaware of this change. What a pain.

Carves
04-21-2015, 07:11 PM

Yep ... Update models have the typical plastic tank with the screwcap in the top.

Chrysler forgot however ... to put an access hole in the floor ... unlike other carmakers .. :rolleyes:

Poorboy
04-22-2015, 03:02 PM
We're cherokee owners, we'll make our own access plate!