PDA

View Full Version : Safety equipment....please use it!!!

Firemanray
04-19-2015, 05:12 PM
With the horrible events of this weekend fresh on my mind I thought I'd post this as a reminder to everyone. Wheeling can be dangerous, please be sure you have adequate safety equipment and use it at all times!

Shannon Fox was given her rock buggy as a surprise a little over a year ago, yesterday she was killed when the buggy flipped over and she did not have her safety harness on. I don't have any details other than that.

I'm sure we are all guilty of jumping in our vehicle and "just going down the street" so we don't buckle up. That's the one time something really bad could go wrong. I won't load my crawler on the trailer without at least the lap belt on but I have been guilty of riding down the "access" trails going back to camp without the harness on. I'll take the lessons learned this weekend to heart in the future.

Consider the terrain you're going to wheel in, is your rig safe for you and your passengers at the level you will be wheeling?

I didn't know Shannon, but anyone who wheels and enjoys off roading is a friend. I don't like losing friends.

Keep the rubber side down and buckle up!

4.3LXJ
04-19-2015, 05:17 PM
I couldn't agree more. When I had CJs, belts were mandatory to move the Jeep. And if you didn't buckle up, you didn't ride with me. Yes, wheeling is dangerous, and the belt rule still stands here

bluedragon436
04-19-2015, 05:23 PM
It was sad to see this loss of life... Glad she was out having fun and enjoying life and doing something she enjoyed doing though... I try and always throw on my seatbelt if I'm doing anything more then moving my Jeep around the driveway or out of the driveway to make room for another vehicle... Guess from what I've seen online from folks that did know her and had wheeled with her... she was usually one of those I'm not moving the vehicle until everyone is secured in type people.. so as said before... getting complacent, or figuring you should be ok this one time... is very easily possible and can very quickly become a fatal error.. RIP Shannon and thoughts/prayers go out to family/friends!!

nickyg
04-19-2015, 05:54 PM
Being short and fat a lot of shoulder straps cut across my throat. so I never wore a seat belt. after years of relentless nagging from my wife I relocated the shoulder strap on her car and my truck. The xj seem to fit great. Now I wear my seat belt all the time.

Mudderoy
04-19-2015, 07:11 PM
Shannon Fox memorial fund for Kayla

https://2dbdd5116ffa30a49aa8-c03f075f8191fb4e60e74b907071aee8.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.c om/4242576_1429446048.5206.jpg

:link: (http://www.gofundme.com/scgze5w?fb_action_ids=10204142726596137&fb_action_types=og.shares&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=[1025005944193714]&action_type_map=[%22og.shares%22]&action_ref_map=[])

XJ Wheeler
04-19-2015, 07:52 PM
Just saw this earlier, truly sad especially something that could have been prevented. But that doesn't bring her back. We can only hope others head the warning and use the belt. Its deeply engrained in me to use it and unless i'm not leaving the yard I always use it. And make sure my passengers are buckled before I put it in gear as well.

This equipment is there for a reason, as the title says please use it. And in the same vein, don't wheel under the influence. Being off the street doesn't mean you don't need a clear head. ;)