PDA

View Full Version : What are these connectors?

1996_XJ
04-16-2015, 06:21 PM
1996 Cherokee, 4.0L, AX15 5-speed, 4WD.
There are two unconnected plugs on this jeep that are between the battery and the coolant overflow tank, and I have no idea what they should be connected to.
Anybody want to offer some suggestions?
I have attached a picture of the two connectors I'm talking about.

OldFaurt
04-16-2015, 07:05 PM
1996 Cherokee, 4.0L, AX15 5-speed, 4WD.
There are two unconnected plugs on this jeep that are between the battery and the coolant overflow tank, and I have no idea what they should be connected to.
Anybody want to offer some suggestions?
I have attached a picture of the two connectors I'm talking about.

Do you see the Cruise control actuator / cable assembly?
If not, that is your missing doo dad!

Poorboy
04-16-2015, 07:18 PM
My 1996 XJ has those connectors and it wasn't ordered with Anti-lock brakes... It's cheaper to wire them all the same and not use some features on the harness, then to design a different harness for each optioned vehicle on the production line.

1996_XJ
04-16-2015, 08:18 PM
Thanks fellas!

prerunner1982
04-22-2015, 01:29 PM
Yep.. exactly what Poorboy said. I have a very low optioned XJ and have connectors and wiring for stuff I don't have all over the place. Didn't come with rear wiper or speakers, but everything is there to hook it up.. (except switch and perhaps relay but wiring should be there for those as well).

Now I don't have power windows or locks but it wouldn't surprise me to find the connectors stuffed into the kick panel.

Poorboy
04-22-2015, 03:01 PM
Also, the availability of those connectors makes it easy to install dealer installed upgrades.

Sent from my potato by Tapatalk.

Jeeperjohn
11-23-2016, 09:52 PM
I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if my 98 Sport would be wired for the fog lights even tho it didn't come with them. Would be nice to be able to just plug in a switch and maybe a relay, mount some lights and wire them into the existing harness up front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

XJ Wheeler
11-24-2016, 02:39 AM
It should be. Although that's the main harness. You may still need some connecting wiring. For instance I have a 92 laredo and my brother has a 90 base. Mine had footwell lighting, his didn't. We found the harness, but didn't have a short section with a connector on each end to connect the harness to the bulb. Got them at the junkyard and wired them to some leds. So most of it should be there but I'm not sure if you'll need more than the lights, switch, relay.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

4.3LXJ
11-24-2016, 11:12 AM
I think just about everyone has the part of the harness that goes to the lights themselves. What you might not have is the source of power for the switch. Good luck

Jeeperjohn
11-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Well, I'll be pulling the dash apart soon to swap out the factory stereo. So I'll look to see if the wiring for the switch is back there or not.

Jeeperjohn
11-29-2016, 12:01 PM
Okay, opened up the dash center today. Behind the blank plate next to the other two switches was a fake/empty socket. There was a connector plugged into it with four wires in it. A purple, black, blue, and (I think) white. Can anybody confirm if this the plug for the fog light switch?