PDA

View Full Version : Grinding when letting off gas

murray_xj
04-08-2015, 06:18 PM
Hello - 92, 4.0, 4" lift, aw4, np231

I have a really odd grinding/metallic vibration when I "blip" the gas peddle and let off abruptly. It doesn't matter whether in driving or sitting in Park. It is definitely coming from the front of the XJ for about 1 second anytime the accelerator is let off abruptly. I'm usually pretty good at diagnosing the XJ nowadays, but I can't sort this one out.

Motor mounts are good, flywheel was recently checked. It really sounds like a bearing noise.

XJ Wheeler
04-08-2015, 06:38 PM
I would try to blip the throttle from the tb under the hood, and listen. That way you can diagnose it easier being able to tell a little better. Past that, a mechanics stethoscope (or long screwdriver to your ear) will really help.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

murray_xj
04-08-2015, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. In quickly doing so, it seems to make the same noise only shorter on the acceleration side before letting off as well.

It's certainly not a component i.e. water pump, alternator. The sound is mid to rear of the engine. Probably not good lol. No ticking or knocking any other time, very low oil consumption.

bruggz351
04-14-2015, 04:23 AM
No pretty bits in your oil??

We had a bloke over here had a skirt fall off one of his pistons....:shocker:

BlackYeti
04-14-2015, 06:39 AM
Have you tightened your torque converter bolts yet?
Does the noise change pitch if you feather the gas while you are coasting?