PDA

View Full Version : Coolant drip

nickyg
04-02-2015, 08:46 PM
I have a drip start right on the water pump end of the lower radiator hose. I replaced the hose and it's still dripping right under the clamp.
What I've done so far:
1. Took hose off and inspected water pump end for cracks, None were found.
2. put a new screw type hose clamp on. still no change.
3. Eat a snack cake and call it a day.

So my question is... Can the water pump leak and trickle all the way to the hose?
Anyone else come across this?

The water pump was on it when I bought it 6 years ago. So I might just replace it ant way.

bigjim350
04-02-2015, 09:13 PM
There is a weep hole on the bottom of the water pump that usually leaks down to the lower rad hose. Probably time to replace the pump.

4.3LXJ
04-02-2015, 09:56 PM
So my question is... Can the water pump leak and trickle all the way to the hose?
Anyone else come across this?

That only happens when you eat snack cakes :keegirl:

nickyg
04-02-2015, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys. I was leaning towards a new pump. I just needed a lil reassurance.

nickyg
04-02-2015, 10:31 PM
I've should've learned by now to watch how I word things around here.

Poorboy
04-02-2015, 10:51 PM
Waterpump is super easy to change. I just did mine earlier this week. Easily done in just a couple hours.

nickyg
04-03-2015, 12:35 AM
Nothing is ever easy for me. I'm pretty sure I'll break 3 things just trying to get the belt off.
Another question. RTV or not? I've never used it and never had a problem. Am I just that lucky?

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

Poorboy
04-03-2015, 12:53 AM
I'll write an article on how to change the pump later tonight (I'm at work now).

XJ Wheeler
04-03-2015, 04:00 AM
I went with a gasket that I coated in rtv, ultra black if I remember correctly. Also, if you're inlet tube (tube that comes out the top of the pump and bends on the passenger side of the valve cover and the heater hose connects to it) is rusty replace it too. You can only do it when the pump is off so its the best time for it.

rabies
04-03-2015, 08:37 AM
iv always used RTV when rebuidling motors n stuff. never a problem. unless i let it sit too long then put a pan on or valve cover etc.

4.3LXJ
04-03-2015, 10:15 AM
A local member on this forum had an issue the other day using RTV only. The thermostat housing bolt then went in deep enough to bottom out and the bolt broke off. I'm not sure if this would happen to everyone, but had him in a small panic on his daily driver.

Carves
04-03-2015, 07:44 PM
RTV is fine ... but dont put it on and tighten everything down straight away,

... the stuff needs a little time to cure before mating the surfaces and bolting up.

For the t'stat housing and the waterpump ... I use a thin smear of RTV on the gaskets,

Poorboy
04-03-2015, 09:33 PM
Thin smear on the gaskets. I used a little much, but I biased it to the outside of the gasket so it oozed out a little.

Sent from my potato by Tapatalk.

nickyg
04-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys, I just finished changing the water pump. Good call Jake on the heater tube. I picked one up while I was at the store. and wouldn't you know it. I tore the old one up trying to get it off

nickyg
04-04-2015, 12:26 PM
For the t'stat housing and the waterpump ... I use a thin smear of RTV on the gaskets,

Oh and I followed carves suggestion on the use of RTV. and Jakes suggestion of ultra black. I seems to be working fine.

Carves
04-04-2015, 02:13 PM
ohhh great .... :mad:

now if it still leaks,

... It will be all my fault .. :rolleyes:

:D:D:D

dagod16
04-05-2015, 06:21 AM
It wont leak be calm and have another snack cake.
Did u replace the thermostat while u had it all open. Getthe thermostat that breaks in the open position.

nickyg
04-05-2015, 08:50 AM
It wont leak be calm and have another snack cake.
Did u replace the thermostat while u had it all open. Getthe thermostat that breaks in the open position.

I replaced the t-stat water outlet and temp sensor just a few months ago. It started out as just a sensor replacement but I over tightened it and cracked the outlet.
I'm not joking when I say when ever I go to fix something I end up breaking 3 things.
The wife drove it around shopping yesterday with no leaks and temp never going over just shy of the 210 mark.

dagod16
04-06-2015, 06:05 AM
Ok sounds good. Don't worry I seem to be like that now and then but after you do enough work on your vehicle you get to know it and understand how it works. pretty soon a water pump wont be a big deal.

One of the things I do is I watch a you tube video. I'm positive youtube has a video for a cherokee on how to change the water pump. When you watch the video they usually tell you how tight to make it or where to put the sealer, just pay attention to it.

I'm at 225K on my daily drive 2001.

Poorboy
04-06-2015, 09:44 AM
I still need to write that article....

Sent from my potato by Tapatalk.