PDA

View Full Version : HID Headlights

CaliXJKid
03-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Alright boys, I have a question about my headlights. I have the standard yellow beam looking headlights and i can't stand them anymore, I want to upgrade to some nice HID. My questions for you guys are
1) What type of HID should I get? Are there Jeep specific ones?
2) How bright is to bright?
3) Where can I find them?
4) Can I install them myself?
Lots of questions anything will help.
Thanks so much

bluedragon436
03-27-2015, 01:17 PM
Well first off you'll have to replace the factory bulbs with new housings that will accept standard automotive style bulbs.. With this you can go cheap and pick up some H4 conversion housings fairly cheap on Amazon or Ebay... or you can go all the way up to some really expensive housings that are already setup w/ LED's built in... I would recommend the Hella E-code units... they are a bit pricey over some of the cheaper units (that'll work just fine), I had the E-codes in my 98 XJ and loved the dispersion of the light, so that is why I went with them again on my 97... As far as HID's, depends on how much you are looking to spend on them... again you can pick up some cheaper units off of Amazon or Ebay for the H4 housings and they may or may not work for a long period of time, I have seen some mixed reviews on the performance as far as them lasting for long periods of time... If you are willing to spend a bit of money you could look into doing the H4 conversion housings, H4 harness upgrade and some decent bulbs and still be cheaper off then a decent HID setup and H4 housings... I ran the Hella E-code housings, w/ H4 upgrade harness, and Hella 80/100w bulbs and loved it, especially compared to the crummy factory yellow bulb setup...

Mudderoy
03-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Maybe this post will help answer some questions about upgrading headlights.

:link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8360&page=3)

CaliXJKid
03-31-2015, 06:40 PM
Absolutely I'm going to do some more research but I have a great starting point. Thanks

bigjim350
04-01-2015, 02:54 AM
If going with HID's you should get projector style headlight lenses, or you'll be one of those a-holes blinding on coming traffic. As far as what HID brightness to get, 5000k is what most oem hid's are, 6000k works pretty good too. But 8000k and higher is starting to get a bit ricer and un-useful.

RangerJeep
04-01-2015, 10:06 AM
Brighter lights would be nice. People seem to frown upon turning on a bunch of KCs in the middle of the city at night. 😁

NeverSmashaPaul
04-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Upgrading your wiring is a big part of getting more light out of your headlamps on and XJ (even stock). Also, make sure you relay your new lights. This will prevent you from burning up your headlamp switch.

Mudderoy
04-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Upgrading your wiring is a big part of getting more light out of your headlamps on and XJ (even stock). Also, make sure you relay your new lights. This will prevent you from burning up your headlamp switch.

Absolutely! Get that LMC Truck wiring harness and install it on your factory lights first. Oh not sure if that will work with the HID's but it's what I used for the IPF 88/110watt lights I installed.

Philxj4L
04-05-2015, 02:22 AM
Take the easiest way out. Forget uprating the loom. Fit H4 light buckets, then fit H4 Cree LED units. Full fat 2000 Lm per side, 6500K (daylight) sub 2A draw per side, proper light, less hassle, job done. The results speak for themselves.

http://youtu.be/F74o13KFI3g

CaliXJKid
04-08-2015, 11:13 PM
That does sound a lot easier, loved the video also, Holy Sh** very funny.
Thanks guys

Philxj4L
04-09-2015, 06:36 AM
You need to look for units with an emmiter layout like these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Pair-H4-3200LM-6500K-36W-High-Power-CREE-LED-HB-LB-Headlight-White-Bulbs-Lamp-/371240806098?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item566fad26d2

There are a lot of newer LEDs with all the emmitters on the same side of the unit, ignore those, the beam pattern is worse than useless ! I would also ignore any that don't say Cree. :)