PDA

View Full Version : TNT Frame Stiffeners

XJ Wheeler
03-25-2015, 03:28 AM
Alright, I've had a set of TNT frame stiffeners sitting around for three years and finally i think i'm doing well ENOUGH (still not great but better) with my welding that i am biting the bullet on installing them. So, being as this is such an important piece that needs to be done right I figure I better make sure I have my thoughts straight with some more intelligent fabricators. ;)

To start, my idea of how to weld them on. I have researched what others have done, suggest, and warn about. In this research i have learnt welding the front and rear edges is a bad idea as it may have more stress and tear the frame. Does this sound right? Also welding solid around the perimeter is not necessary and even advised against because it would most likely heat the frame too much and weaken it. So my idea is welding along the top and bottom in 2-3" runs with 3-5" between each weld. As well as drilling multiple 3/" holes (10-12 on the side and a little less on the bottom) for rosette welds. I made an illustration with TNTs pic.

And a more crude one of my own.

How does sound for a plan on attaching these? I basically want these to last forever, be done right, and they are to be the base for some braces when I do the tubing rockers so sturdy is key.

And to make it more complicated I need to redo my transmission crossmember mounting nuts. The shop that put my lift on ALL that time ago had trouble with the studs in the "frame" and this was there solution.

So i think the plan for this is to weld 7/16" nuts on the inside of the stiffeners and open up the holes in the frame to clearance for the nuts to go up inside before i weld on the stiffeners. I don't like the idea of the nuts not being inside the frame but the stiffeners shouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon.

That's my conundrum, thought?

Pookapotamus
03-25-2015, 07:49 AM
Very good plan, that's what I did with mine, minus the holes in the bottom of the stiffenerz stitch welding along the perimeter worked really well.

4.3LXJ
03-25-2015, 09:51 AM
Stitch welding is the way to go. Start from the center and let it cool in between to avoid heat build up

Mudderoy
03-25-2015, 10:00 AM
You can't cut and paste, or type in those attachment links. You have to use the little icon at the top of the post to insert them. :P

XJ Wheeler
03-25-2015, 02:12 PM
Great, thanks guys. Does the plan for the trans crossmember sound good? Also do you think I would be better going with a shorter stitch (say 1-2" long welds with 2-3" between) or a little longer (2-3" with 4-5" between)?

Tony, that's what I always do. Not sure why it didn't work. I always go advanced, click attachments, upload, insert. Sound right? I'll try it again.

4.3LXJ
03-25-2015, 02:27 PM
Do the shorter welds. Nuts on the inside sound good to me, I have done the same with other stuff

XJ Wheeler
03-25-2015, 02:35 PM
Appreciate it steve! Now, just if I can accomplish it like I imagine it...:rolleye0012:

prcjeep
03-25-2015, 02:59 PM
reminds me i need to get my HD Offroad stiffeners installed, they've been sitting in the garage for about 8 months now.

Pookapotamus
03-25-2015, 08:04 PM
Well for the trans cross member I would visit claytons website, you can get their cross member, then upgrade to long arms! 😁

XJ Wheeler
03-25-2015, 10:32 PM
Well for the trans cross member I would visit claytons website, you can get their cross member, then upgrade to long arms! 😁

If I could afford that, my list of wants would be much less saddening. :p

nickxj94
03-25-2015, 11:48 PM
I'm about to make my own stiffners 😉

XJ Wheeler
03-31-2015, 03:49 AM
Update on the frame stiffener project...........still not installed!
Not for a lack of effort, actually been working on it for the last three days. Just so many little things needing done has pushed it back and back. So far I've had to modify the stiffeners, frame, and t-case skid. And I suspect the crossmember is next. But, the next step is stripping the rails and stiffeners then weld. Although that will be in a few days, other things more pressing. I do hope to get it done before the weekend, hoping to take both XJs to a local event.

Teaser pic

XJ Wheeler
04-03-2015, 03:35 AM
Worked a lot today on the frame stiffeners, and am glad to say the drivers side is stitched in place. Also a bit frustrated the passenger side isn't. Just takes so long to do each step. But i'm gonna spend all day tomorrow trying to get it finished. I am pleased with how well the welding went today. Oddly I ran most of the time with the welder turn all the way up. Not once did it burn through and was able to control it better than I thought I would for the first time welding on my back overhead.

XJ Wheeler
04-11-2015, 01:29 AM
Figured I would give a little "how I did it" for anyone looking.

A while back I had cleaned the frame rails with a wire wheel and painted them in satin black. Glad that was already done...

So I got up under there and mocked up their position and marked the perimeter to know where to strip it.

I used two floor jacks to hold them up and a couple clamps to secure them against the side.

I then marked on the stiffeners where there was holes in the frame so I didn't drill for a rosette weld in those spots. Next, i measured and marked for 10 rosette welds on each side of the stiffeners and 6-7 on each bottom of the stiffeners.

I drilled each hole to 1/2". Initially I had chosen 3/4" but they looked a little big and harder on my equipment, so it was changed to 1/2". Glad I did it too, 3/4" would have been pretty tough to fill with my welder.

XJ Wheeler
04-11-2015, 01:57 AM
The shop I had put my lift on over 10 years ago had a complication with the transmission crossmember studs. So they cut out a couple holes in my frame... :bang:

I had to come up with a solution due to my lack of access once these stiffeners were installed. My solution was to weld nuts on the inside of the stiffeners. However... the stiffeners have cutouts for the crossmember bolts that are extra big.

Nothing some MORE welding can't fix! Made some plates to fill the holes.

Zapped em in...

And smoothed em...

I guesstimated a bit and drilled the holes for the new crossmember bolts to pass through. I decided on 7/16" hardware, so I ground smooth the nuts and welded them to the inside.

Mudderoy
04-11-2015, 02:13 AM
Does this mean you haven't done a SYE yet?

XJ Wheeler
04-11-2015, 02:30 AM

I did make some plates out of 1/8" steel to cover the holes that were cut into the frame and welded them on. And ground them smooth. Just didn't like the idea of a weak spot under there.

And everything got coated in weld through primer.

XJ Wheeler
04-11-2015, 02:33 AM
Does this mean you haven't done a SYE yet?

Not yet. My angles are good enough to hold off while I get more pertinent things done.

XJ Wheeler
04-11-2015, 03:44 AM
I figured out to support one section at a time. If I tried to do a big area I would end up getting only one spot tight against the frame. Started with the crossmember area and worked forward then to the rear. I tried to keep from putting a stitch weld near a rosette weld but I felt some needed to be near stress points like the cuts for the bends or crossmember mounting spots. Honestly the welding went better than expected, not perfect but I ended up only burning through once and it was in a good location.

XJ Wheeler
04-11-2015, 04:55 AM
I did pretty much the same thing on the inside of the bottom of the stiffeners.

But the middle section of the frame isn't as wide, and the gap was too wide for my welder so I put a few heavy tacks where I would have put a stitch.

Smoothed down all the rosettes flush with the stiffeners.

And since I wanted and clean look I put down a little putty over any dips in the rosettes. Also, and I highly recommend this, sealed the entire perimeter with seam sealer. You don't want mud, leaves, or any random roadkill you may encounter ( :rolleye0012: ) getting in there and holding moisture. Just a recipe for rust.

XJ Wheeler
04-11-2015, 05:21 AM
Finally, each side got a coat or two of primer...

And to finish it off, satin black.

I also had to open up the spacers for my t-case drop a slight bit. And the crossmember mounting holes needed just a little tweaking to get it mounted back up.

All in all, the install was tougher than I ever imagined. Honestly, not for the faint of heart. I expected to be done within 2 days, but it took me a week from start to finish with a couple days in there that no work got done. So, I added it up to be just over 30 hours work. Although, mine was far from the norm... it never is. :crazy:

At first I though the difference was quite amazing... but once I settled in, stopped focusing on every bump, and just drove it like normal I really can't say I feel much difference. I still get the creaks and squeaks from the body. The other day I parked sideways in a ditch (flexing) and the front passenger door had a small bit of trouble shutting. I do believe there is a difference, and its far stronger for it, just wish I could feel it more.

4.3LXJ
04-11-2015, 10:39 AM
Jake, the flexing of the body can be remedied easily with softer springs. There is so much torque with some suspensions that yes, it can be hard to open a door sometimes. But softer springs fix that.

XJ Wheeler
04-11-2015, 10:13 PM
Jake, the flexing of the body can be remedied easily with softer springs. There is so much torque with some suspensions that yes, it can be hard to open a door sometimes. But softer springs fix that.

That may be the case. Its hard to tell how stiff my current ones are because i'm on short arms. :confused:

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

nickxj94
04-13-2015, 11:17 PM
You had any problems with the tcase drop? Just did the same type on mine. Just wanted feedback.

XJ Wheeler
04-13-2015, 11:45 PM
You had any problems with the tcase drop? Just did the same type on mine. Just wanted feedback.

Nope, no problems. I've been running it for ten years... guess a sye should be higher on the list. :rolleye0012:

nickxj94
04-13-2015, 11:54 PM
Nope, no problems. I've been running it for ten years... guess a sye should be higher on the list. :rolleye0012:
Sweet! I plan on a sye when i save up the funds. Already have a drive shaft waiting.

Mudderoy
04-19-2015, 09:53 PM
SYE is hard to buy. A good one is expensive and NO ONE KNOWS you have it. ;o)

TeXJ
06-14-2015, 05:55 PM
sub'd