PDA

View Full Version : Mystery problem after Lokka install

abebehrmann
03-21-2015, 07:07 PM
Ok guys, I'm still battling this mystery problem that surfaced a few days after installing my Lokka. To recap, in the span of a few weeks I replaced my hubs, front axle u-joints, transmission mount, and last but not least installed the Dana 30 Lokka. A few days after installation I got a nasty ratcheting type noise that I could also feel on sharper left turns. After it happened again, I pulled the front diff apart once again, noticed that the cross shaft had a tiny bit of wear on it so I replaced that, double checked all clearances (all well within spec), put it all back together, did the unlock test (passed again), took it for a test drive around the neighborhood and everything seemed to be A-OK. The next day on the same tight left turn by my house, I got the same weird ratchety clunking noise/feeling. Took it all apart again, double checked everything (same specs), reinstalled it, was good for unlock test and test drive around neighborhood but after ride home from work still had the terrible noise on tighter left turns. Today I finally got enough time to investigate more. Put it on jack stands, shifted it into 4wd and drive and did a few tests and found a few things that I don't think are right.
#1- does not want to stop when you press on brakes hard. It's like the brake pedal pushes back and it sounds like something is binding.
#2- I was able to get the ratchety-clunky noise by turning the wheel to the left while on jack stands. This leads me to believe the problem isn't with the Lokka itself not ratcheting but something else somewhere else up the chain.
#3- I removed the front wheels, calipers, and rotors and the weird noise when turning left on jack stands went away. The binding when pressing hard on the brakes still occurred.

I'm going to try to upload some videos, hopefully this works.

First video shows the possible problem when pressing hard on the brakes. First time I pressed gently and everything stopped normally. Next few times is when I pushed hard and it seemed like it was fighting me. Could this possibly be the ABS kicking in? I didn't see the light on my dash come on but I'm not even sure it works.

Second video shows the weird left turn noise. I don't think the video really captures the noise very well but I think you can still hear it. It almost sounds like the noise is coming from the TC.

Any advice or things to look into? I'm at a loss and really want my Jeep back.https://vimeo.com/122866088

https://vimeo.com/122866122

Carves
03-21-2015, 07:10 PM
Ok guys, I'm still battling this mystery problem that surfaced a few days after installing my Lokka. To recap, in the span of a few weeks I replaced my hubs, front axle u-joints, transmission mount, and installed the Dana 30 Lokka. A few days after installation I got a nasty ratcheting type noise that I could also feel on sharper left turns. After it happened again, I pulled the front diff apart once again, noticed that the cross shaft had a tiny bit of wear on it so I replaced that, double checked all clearances (all well within spec), put it all back together, did the unlock test (passed again), took it for a test drive around the neighborhood and everything seemed to be A-OK. The next ..................................

Seeeee ... now this is why you shouldnt text and drive .. ;)

abebehrmann
03-21-2015, 07:36 PM
Seeeee ... now this is why you shouldnt text and drive .. ;)

Lol, my stupid fat greasy fingers pressed the wrong button. :)

4.3LXJ
03-21-2015, 08:06 PM
Just for giggles, take some oil out and put in some black Power Punch. It is an additive that is made for extreme use. It couldn't hurt and might make your lokka work smoother.

KMW-NWXJ
03-22-2015, 12:05 AM
The braking issue is going to be your ABS doing what it's supposed to. When you are hitting the brakes hard one or two of the wheels are stopping before the others, causing the ABS to kick in. Sounds normal to me.

I really don't think the noise is coming from your locker. With the wheels all up in the air, the locker shouldn't even be seeing any bind at all. The only way it would see any stress would be if one of your axle u-joints was binding for some reason. I would look at those really close.

abebehrmann
03-22-2015, 10:35 AM
The braking issue is going to be your ABS doing what it's supposed to. When you are hitting the brakes hard one or two of the wheels are stopping before the others, causing the ABS to kick in. Sounds normal to me.

I really don't think the noise is coming from your locker. With the wheels all up in the air, the locker shouldn't even be seeing any bind at all. The only way it would see any stress would be if one of your axle u-joints was binding for some reason. I would look at those really close.

Thanks, that was the only thing I could think of as well. Going to pull my shafts today and make sure they're working properly.

Will also try to find that Black Power Punch at the autoparts store today.

abebehrmann
03-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Pulled the shafts today, made sure the u-joints weren't binding at all. Reinstalled and everything is still the same.

One thing I did notice is that when in 2wd and I spin the left (drivers) side the whole carrier turns and the right side of the locker is what clicks. When I do the same to the right side, the right side clicks and the carrier does not turn. It's like the left side doesn't want to ratchet.

My next test will be to remove the front drive shaft to isolate the problem to the front axle. Any other tests you guys can think of to find the problem?

Also going to contact Lokka tomorrow and see if they have any ideas.

If it still does it after removing the DS and if Lokka doesn't have any clue the only thing I can think of doing is replacing the entire front axle assembly with one from the JY.

KMW-NWXJ
03-22-2015, 07:26 PM
I think you're on the right track. I would disco the front shaft and then if it's still there take it up with Lokka. I've heard they are good about customer service.