PDA

View Full Version : Light bar

Tonyamx
03-21-2015, 10:16 AM
I built this light bar using unistrut, commonly used by electricians to mount conduit, fixtures, etc - readily available at any home improvement store or in the scrap pile at an electrician buddy's shop as I did. It has predrilled holes,and is very rigid but lightweight. I drilled out the forwardmost holes in my factory roof rails,and used j bolts with lock nuts to mount. Also placed a small piece of 1/8" rubber between the bar and factory rail to isolate.

4.3LXJ
03-21-2015, 10:21 AM
Hey good idea

Mudderoy
03-21-2015, 01:32 PM
As I recall, there isn't much holding that plastic end cap on, you may have problems with that staying attached before too long.

bluedragon436
03-21-2015, 01:40 PM
As I recall, there isn't much holding that plastic end cap on, you may have problems with that staying attached before too long.

I believe it is actually only one bolt/screw that holds those end caps on, from when I had to replace my broken caps.. So you might want to look into figuring out a way to slid the bar back to the actual rack track and secure it down to that if at all possible, just to make sure you don't have to worry about it breaking loose or anything.. I know those plastic end caps get brittle with age.. (I broke the ones I mentioned having to replace earlier on accident due to this)...

Tonyamx
03-21-2015, 03:01 PM
I think this is where the rail fits in to the end cap, it was an existing hole - plastic over metal. But thanks for the suggestions, I may move it back before I wire it up and cut the j bolts flush. Looks like little antenna right now ! Been waiting to see how it held up & getsome input on here.

bluedragon436
03-21-2015, 03:18 PM
I think this is where the rail fits in to the end cap, it was an existing hole - plastic over metal. But thanks for the suggestions, I may move it back before I wire it up and cut the j bolts flush. Looks like little antenna right now ! Been waiting to see how it held up & getsome input on here.

I'm not trying to bash your idea or plan... I actually think it is a pretty good setup, was thinking about doing similar for cross bars under my roof rack (basket), as well as something similar for light install... Just wanted to give you the heads up on how easily those plastic pieces break, as I didn't want you to loose your bar, or have it come off on you while you're driving and maybe cause more damage to your XJ.. If you have the J-hooks through metal then you should be good... don't have my XJ with me right now (unfortunately) so I can't take a look at the holes and such on those end caps..

Mudderoy
03-21-2015, 05:39 PM

I bet it would hold up fine, until you catch it on something like a branch or vines.

autotech98
03-21-2015, 07:23 PM
Looks good. I used the same stuff to make one for my old Bronco. Only thing different is I welded plates on the ends to make a gutter mount

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547

Carves
03-21-2015, 07:24 PM
I built this light bar using unistrut, commonly used by electricians to mount conduit, fixtures, etc - readily available at any home improvement store or in the scrap pile at an electrician buddy's shop as I did. It has predrilled holes,and is very rigid but lightweight. I drilled out the forwardmost holes in my factory roof rails,and used j bolts with lock nuts to mount. Also placed a small piece of 1/8" rubber between the bar and factory rail to isolate.

:thumbsup:

X 2 with the others .... in regard to maybe moving it rearward a bit,

... it will also reduce some glare from the lights.

... and maybe shorten/shape the ends so they are less likely to catch on something ??

Flip the uni-strut 180* ... and you can hide the bolt thread and wiring inside it .. ;)

... and it will look like one of these overpriced rack systems we have down here .. :D

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVNcNsDXZd1qYXZkJ11DKoGq2ToyoSl juEr-TgdRCkniv-Ifzo

XJ Wheeler
03-22-2015, 02:29 AM
Looks good to me. If i remember correctly the metal continues under the plastic cap for a short bit so by the looks of it you have it hook to something sturdy. I would think the plastic would show fairly wobbly.

Good job! :thumbsup:

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.