PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Noob Here: Need advice on Ebay Auction

JeepNoob
03-20-2015, 02:02 PM
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4 0L No Reserve | eBay

So this one is making me drool but there are a few things I have learned to look out for on northeast coast cars.

Car is FROM long island all the way through Hurricane Sandy. That storm wrecked countless vehicles that were then put into the used car market. Dangerous buys. It was sold 9 months after Sandy in June of 2013 to someone in Pennsylvania. 20,000 miles went on it and then it went up for auction and I guess this dealership in Maryland bought it.

My suspicion is this is a salt water damaged vehicle in disguise. The dates on the Carfax line up with exactly what they tell you to avoid but I want to hear your opinion. Does the undercarriage look painted over? You see anything odd?

There is also no reserve on this and I would think that this interior/exterior combo with that low of miles would be up there on ebay.

Any help would be great!!!!

4.3LXJ
03-20-2015, 02:20 PM
I think what I would recommend on this one is to request pics of the frame rails and if possible floor boards. If they won't send you some, forget it even though it looks nice in the pic

XJ Wheeler
03-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Good advice^ Otherwise it does look good. Although being an '00 it probably has the 0331 head. Its not a deal breaker but a point against it.

Do you ever plan to lift the Cherokee you buy?

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

abebehrmann
03-20-2015, 03:06 PM
That one looks like a winner to me. If you scroll down, you can see pics of the underside and it looks pristine, but asking for a few more wouldn't hurt just to be sure. From what I can see, the undercoating looks just like the factory coating under my 99. I'd say if you can get that one for less than $4-5k, I would jump on it. Honestly, I'm a bit jealous mine doesn't look that nice! It also has the NP242 transfer case which would be very desirable for your location so you can drive on road in bad conditions in Full-time 4wheel drive. Good luck JeepNoob.

4.3LXJ
03-20-2015, 03:47 PM
Didn't see the pics at the bottom. Looks like a winner to me too :bacondance:

Mudderoy
03-21-2015, 01:06 AM
Didn't they switch to low pinion D30 in 2000?

bluedragon436
03-21-2015, 01:35 AM
I think they did like late 99 into 2000 switch the LP D30.. But it's easy enough to snag a HP from the JY... maybe even be able to do a 1 for 1 swap with the JY once you pull the LP D30 though...

XJ Wheeler
03-21-2015, 05:04 AM
That's why I ask if she will ever lift it. If not, or no more than about 3", the low pinion front axle isn't an issue. So it wouldn't matter in this case.

JeepNoob
03-21-2015, 12:45 PM
That's why I ask if she will ever lift it. If not, or no more than about 3", the low pinion front axle isn't an issue. So it wouldn't matter in this case.

I don't think I would ever lift it. To the above person thinking itll go between 4-5k. No way. I bet this car will go closer to 6-7K. I have seen some XJ's in really good condition with a lot of money put into it prior to auction go for 10k! I also am looking at cars listed in the northeast and XJ's are much more expensive over here than say the south, midwest or southwest. More people and more money.

autotech98
03-21-2015, 07:31 PM
Go with your gut. Buying a car off ebay?? I like to put eyes on it first

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547

XJ Wheeler
03-22-2015, 01:33 AM
I don't think I would ever lift it. To the above person thinking itll go between 4-5k. No way. I bet this car will go closer to 6-7K. I have seen some XJ's in really good condition with a lot of money put into it prior to auction go for 10k! I also am looking at cars listed in the northeast and XJ's are much more expensive over here than say the south, midwest or southwest. More people and more money.

Never can tell with ebay. Saw one go for $4,250 a few weeks ago. It was a '00 with the 4.0 and 4x4. Although it didn't have many options but, and i kid you not, had 29k miles! Looked great too.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

JeepNoob
03-23-2015, 03:57 PM
Does anyone know of a trust-worthy mechanic I could pay to check it out in the baltimore/washington d.c. area? I cant make it down before the auction ends.

autotech98
03-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Wish i did. Joppa is about an hour from where i live. Did want to mention that the market for xjs and parts is pretty decent down there. Large metro area. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547

abebehrmann
03-23-2015, 04:09 PM
I don't know any shops in that area but if I were looking I would look at the Cartalk Mechanics files reviews. http://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files/search?city=Baltimore&state=MD&radius[search_units]=mile&radius[postal_code]=&radius[search_distance]=10&keyword=&field_makes_tid=All

Or probably even better would be to check out Angie's List. http://www.angieslist.com/
You do have to pay for Angie's list, but here are a few promos to use if you do decide to sign up. http://www.dealsplus.com/angieslist-coupons

JeepNoob
03-27-2015, 12:50 PM
I'm going to contact one of those shops from Cartalk and speak with someone - my only concern is that the used car dealership with this Jeep may know these people and I might not get as honest an answer as I'm looking for.

I know there is a Jeep dealership close by... I wonder if I could get someone from their shop to check it out for me? Is that a really weird thing for me to ask them?

prerunner1982
03-27-2015, 12:59 PM
Nah, I don't think it is, but they would likely charge you... or not. Pretty girls have a way of getting things discounted. lol

abebehrmann
04-02-2015, 11:50 AM
So did you win it?!?! You were dead on with your price prediction.