PDA

View Full Version : Just checking: no warning of battery not charging?

beatupjeep
03-20-2015, 11:27 AM
'89 XJ (renix, 4.0)

Ive had my alternator die while out wheeling and since I wasnt regularly checking the voltmeter the only notice was the engine coming to a halt when the battery finally discharged to the point where injectors and spark couldnt work anymore.

IIRC, there was no warning light for the alternator.

And even if it was, depending on how distracted you are while off roading, you might not notice a light through the ancient dingy, dusty instrument cluster.

And even if you are checking the voltmeter every 15 minutes, that could be the difference between passing the point of no return in your trip or being able to coast out.

And still, the voltmeter on this era jeep is pretty unreliable as far as accuracy anyway, The difference between charging ok and not charging is pretty slight I bet.

So what I am asking is, is it true there is basically no immediate and attention getting alert that your battery is not being charged and you will be dead in the water in a matter of minutes, on these older XJ's?

4.3LXJ
03-20-2015, 11:58 AM
There is in the OBDII systems. You get a check gauges light. It would take some research, but I think you could rig an old school "Batt" light that would go on if the alternator isn't working.

beatupjeep
03-20-2015, 12:01 PM
There is in the OBDII systems. You get a check gauges light. It would take some research, but I think you could rig an old school "Batt" light that would go on if the alternator isn't working.

I think doing this would be very important..more like a buzzer really. If the alternator fails you need to know immediately so you can take action with what battery life you have left and/or before you actually kill the battery and make it so you cant even jump start it.

Are just the Renix jeeps missing the alternator fail light? I'm pretty sure that was a standard idiot light going back to the 70's cherokees and probably vehicles well before that. Why is it missing from the XJ? (or what years is it missing?) Is it because the voltage regulator is somewhere odd?

That would make it alot easier to rig up a buzzer..put a relay across the idiot light and voila...

ALSO: I killed the alternator by going through a huge mud puddle and blasting it with mud...I think thats why they had the under-engine shield which is long-gone on most XJ's..I would think this would happen more often on off roading jeeps...is it just me

4.3LXJ
03-20-2015, 02:25 PM
Mine is non Renix and does not have one

Poorboy
04-06-2015, 06:23 PM
My '96 XJ has a "GEN" light.... Along with the gauge.