PDA

View Full Version : 96 xj fuel presser regulator conversion/ bypass?

texasxj
03-13-2015, 06:46 PM
ok i have a 96 and a shop told me i had low fuel pressure and suggested a new fuel pump. well new pump and everything in and i still have low fuel pressure. well has every one knows in 96 a retard decided it was a good idea to take the regulator off the rail and build it into the fuel pump assembly. well long story short i cant find the assembly anywhere and if i could they cost to much.

is it possible to bypass the regulator in the assembly and add the old style one to the rail? and if it is what would i need and how?

4.3LXJ
03-13-2015, 07:22 PM
Yes you could do that. However it is not going to be cheap. I did a quick search at Summit Racing and found a number of regulators that would work, starting at around $120. You would need an adjustable regulator and that is the problem. No such thing as a "Jeep" regulator there.

texasxj
03-13-2015, 09:01 PM
Yes you could do that. However it is not going to be cheap. I did a quick search at Summit Racing and found a number of regulators that would work, starting at around $120. You would need an adjustable regulator and that is the problem. No such thing as a "Jeep" regulator there.

would it be possible to put a factory one back on the rail like on a pre-96?

4.3LXJ
03-13-2015, 09:03 PM
Yes it would if you provide a return line to the tank. Your best option really

texasxj
03-13-2015, 09:13 PM

would it be possible to put a factory one back on the rail like on a pre-96?

4.3LXJ
03-13-2015, 09:58 PM
As long as the injectors line up, I don't see why not

texasxj
03-13-2015, 10:58 PM
ok how about this i remove the factory fpr from the assembly as shown here in the big brown housing. the black hose next to the pump is the return line

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/attachments/f74/145145d1348232843t-stock-fuel-pump-1996-dscn2312.jpg

then i take the regulator from a 97 which is usually out side the tank on the assembly and mount it in place of the old regulator in side the tank?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4123/4815268675_6effaf8144.jpg

from the diagram it should work the same, but does any one know if the operating presser of the regulators for the 2 years is the same? and does it sound like this would work? it would be cheapest

4.3LXJ
03-14-2015, 12:40 AM
Almost, but not quite. You will have to go from the fuel pump to the rail directly. Then from the rail back to the fuel pump with another line and make a gas tight way to run the line back into the tank. That is the only way that will work. You might try taking out a regulator from the pick and pull since you are that far and just replace that

texasxj
03-14-2015, 05:59 AM
i cant even find one in a pick and pull, thats my prob i cant find one anywhere not even from the dealer. but why cant i use the 97 regulator inside the tank like the old one? it would be bigger but it should still run in from the pump the same and out the tank the same way. the only diff would be that the return would flow directly over the pump inlet hole instead of a hose dumping it next to pump

4.3LXJ
03-14-2015, 11:36 AM
It doesn't have to dump next to the pump. I think the only reason it is that way is to keep sediment from accumulating next to the pickup

texasxj
03-14-2015, 01:04 PM
ok but doing it like that should work right? it will save me from buying all kinds of parts

4.3LXJ
03-14-2015, 03:01 PM
It should work as long as the pressure is right