PDA

View Full Version : PSA- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Tailpipe Submerged

abebehrmann
03-10-2015, 08:36 AM
This happened a few miles from my house. If you're ever stuck where your tailpipe is submerged be sure to roll down your windows and/or get everyone out of the vehicle, preferably both. Carbon Monoxide is odorless and most likely you won't show obvious signs of exposure until it is too late.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2986282/Mother-1-year-old-son-dead-late-night-roading-accident.html

Mudderoy
03-10-2015, 08:41 AM
This happened a few miles from my house. If you're ever stuck where your tailpipe is submerged be sure to roll down your windows and/or get everyone out of the vehicle, preferably both. Carbon Monoxide is odorless and most likely you won't show obvious signs of exposure until it is too late.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2986282/Mother-1-year-old-son-dead-late-night-roading-accident.html

Would these be due to the added resistance of the water causing the exhaust to leak along any weak spot in the exhaust system?

abebehrmann
03-10-2015, 08:46 AM
Would these be due to the added resistance of the water causing the exhaust to leak along any weak spot in the exhaust system?

That is my understanding. Tailpipe submerged increases back pressure allowing the exhaust gases to find any holes or cracks it normally wouldn't come out of. This then seeps up into the cabin.

4.3LXJ
03-10-2015, 10:18 AM
This brings up a popular mod. Cutting off the tail pipe behind the cat. This isn't the first time this has happened. A kid in his early twenties did the same thing, only in the time it took him to try to get unstuck in Ohio. Everyone was watching him try to get unstuck and then saw him bail out and collapse and die right in front of them. Full length tail pipe is a must as well as sealing up the floor boards

bluedragon436
03-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Read this yesterday before I left out for my mission.. sucks to see and very sad.. and feel very sorry for the young man, cause I'm sure it's something he won't deal with very well.. I almost wonder in that situation if even with the windows down it might not have still been too much for the little one... Thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends and the young man!!