PDA

View Full Version : Need help. 231 chirping and I'm 1500+ from home

pointsnorth
03-10-2015, 07:11 AM
I'm going to apologize for the poor grammar and spelling but I'm on my phone. I'm in Mobile Alabama (home is extreme northern minnesota) and my 231 front seal is leaking chirping. having fluid checkerded a wally since I have no tools. I'm 600 miles from nearest family in cape Canaveral. area....need to know any suggestions.....anyone know how long I could have? any members or good repair shops along the i-10- 75- 95 cocorridors?

prerunner1982
03-10-2015, 08:07 AM
Sorry I am of no help, hope everything works out.
I am sure Steve (4.3LXJ) will reply shortly.

Mudderoy
03-10-2015, 08:38 AM
I'm going to apologize for the poor grammar and spelling but I'm on my phone. I'm in Mobile Alabama (home is extreme northern minnesota) and my 231 front seal is leaking chirping. having fluid checkerded a wally since I have no tools. I'm 600 miles from nearest family in cape Canaveral. area....need to know any suggestions.....anyone know how long I could have? any members or good repair shops along the i-10- 75- 95 cocorridors?

You say "no tools" if you had some could you use them? If so it would be less than $100 (prob $50) to go to WalMart and pick up some Stanley tools. Then go to a junk yard and get another NP231 transfer case, everyone help me here but I think it would be $150ish?

It will take you a few hours, but you can swap it with the failing one, then if you wish you have have the one you took out repaired and you'll have a spare, plus you have some tools to make future repairs.

Just an idea, I'll let other chime in on locations that can do the work for you.

NW99XJ
03-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Without tools, about all you CAN do is just keep checking the fluid level as frequent as possible... of course, without a large allen wrench, that too may be impossible. Not sure about the "chirping" noise though... obviously that's a sign of something going wrong... when you hear the metal-on-metal sounds, that's when you need to start worrying. Bottom line... you need to get some tools, some how.

4.3LXJ
03-10-2015, 10:26 AM
I am going to suggest that the chirping noise is probably a U joint. Got any vibrations going on? It would be highly unusual for a tcase to chirp. It is common for a U joint that is dry and ready to go to do that, especially the CV joint on the front driveline. You could have that pulled next time you get oil and if the front seal is bad, have that replaced for the price of a couple of oil changes

Mayooo
03-10-2015, 10:40 AM
Agree with the above comments.. My first thought is the cv-joint.. Stop at Walmart get a cheep toolkit and pull the front driveshaft..

NW99XJ
03-11-2015, 08:55 AM
Update?