PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do mini-fridge + inverter?

beatupjeep
03-07-2015, 11:27 AM
mini fridge for $80

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Haier-1.7-cu.-ft.-Refrigerator-Black/35032711

1500 peak/ 750W continuous inverter for $45

http://www.harborfreight.com/750-watt-continuous-1500-watt-peak-power-inverter-66817.html

random forum post suggesting that this setup is workable:

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/electronic-connection/46983-compact-refrigerators-inverter-post653480.html?#post653480

Seems like quite a savings versus a $600+ ARB cooler

PROS:
Much cheaper (go craigslist for the fridge and probable chop another $30 off the price)
Just as good refrigeration as an RV/real fridge
You get an inverter as part of the deal which is useful for alot of other stuff that needs 110VAC

CONS:
Unknown longevity of fridge in vehicle (although at this price who cares)
Not easily portable
Noise of compressor springs may be annoying..some modification may be required. Id check out RV style mini fridges...maybe they just use a different sort of mount.
Not going to work as a cooler very well (awkward/heavy, not ice compatible)
Will need some common sense ideas to hold things steady during bumpy roads
Needs mounting

Mudderoy
03-07-2015, 11:38 AM
Wouldn't a 12 volt have fewer parts and be more efficient?

beatupjeep
03-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Wouldn't a 12 volt have fewer parts and be more efficient?

Is there an example you're thinking of because we could just look up the specs.

I dont think electrical efficiency really matters that much here anyways. A small fridge/cooler that uses a refrigerant compressor is going to draw around 100W or less while operating...I would think a higher voltage compressor would be more efficient anyways, but if its just a matter of saving 20W who cares? Its not like we're talking about 1hp draw versus 2hp draw. Turning up the stereo would have more of an impact.

Mudderoy
03-07-2015, 11:50 AM
Is there an example you're thinking of because we could just look up the specs.

I dont think electrical efficiency really matters that much here anyways. A small fridge/cooler that uses a refrigerant compressor is going to draw around 100W or less while operating...I would think a higher voltage compressor would be more efficient anyways, but if its just a matter of saving 20W who cares? Its not like we're talking about 1hp draw versus 2hp draw. Turning up the stereo would have more of an impact.

Well I found this one...

Amazon.com: Coleman 40 Quart PowerChill(TM) Thermoelectric Cooler: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41OEzJrQtaL.@@AMEPARAM@@41OEzJrQtaL

beatupjeep
03-07-2015, 12:02 PM
Well I found this one...

Amazon.com: Coleman 40 Quart PowerChill(TM) Thermoelectric Cooler: Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Quart-PowerChill-Thermoelectric-Cooler/dp/B0083F8YZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425750527&sr=8-1&keywords=travel+refrigerator)

Thermoelectric is no bueno..very poor performance. TEC devices have an inverse relationship between heat pumping and temperature differential. Notice the specs say "cools to 40 deg below ambient"..yeah at like 1 watt of pumping power. So if the fridge is in an ambient of 100F you are getting a 60F interior best case..which is actually never going to happen because it wouldnt even be pumping enough to make up for loss through the insulation. I'd say at 100F youd be lucky to have an internal temperature of 70F assuming you pre-chilled the contents and dont open the door. The TEC fridges are best for desks in a cubicle where you take a soda out once a day, not for an off road adventure.

There are refrigerant based portable fridges like the ARB and others, but they are $600+, which IMO is just simple gouging. They are probably just a 110VAC compressor with an inverter inside anyways.

Heres an ARB:

Amazon.com: ARB 10800472 Fridge Freezer- 50 Quart: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41swQHT0X-L.@@AMEPARAM@@41swQHT0X-L

It runs off 12VDC, 24VDC and 110VAC. From the specs it looks like it draws similar power to a mini fridge, so the cooling performance may be similar. The only problem I see is the price, which is ridiculous. I bought the full size fridge in my kitchen for new for $400.

Putting a non-portable mini fridge in the back of the jeep is going to be kinda cumbersome though. I'd plan it out carefully and make sure it has a solid mount, and do something about the compressor springs (if needed) so its not making noise like crazy while you are driving.

Also, a side-opening fridge is not ideal for inside a cramped SUV.

If someone wants a project, shop craigslist for a mini fridge, inverter, and a cooler..could probably get away with all three for $120. Then gut the mini fridge and put its cooling system into the cooler. Now you have a top loading fridge/cooler! find a nice spot for it in the jeep and make it so you can easily load and unload it. Load it with caviar and fine cheeses and you are ready for moab

Mudderoy
03-07-2015, 12:04 PM
Thermoelectric is no bueno..very poor performance. TEC devices have an inverse relationship between heat pumping and temperature differential. Notice the specs say "cools to 40 deg below ambient"..yeah at like 1 watt of pumping power. So if the fridge is in an ambient of 100F you are getting a 60F interior best case..which is actually never going to happen because it wouldnt even be pumping enough to make up for loss through the insulation. I'd say at 100F youd be lucky to have an internal temperature of 70F assuming you pre-chilled the contents and dont open the door. The TEC fridges are best for desks in a cubicle where you take a soda out once a day, not for an off road adventure.

There are refrigerant based portable fridges like the ARB and others, but they are $600+, which IMO is just simple gouging. They are probably just a 110VAC compressor with an inverter inside anyways.

Heres an ARB:

Amazon.com: ARB 10800472 Fridge Freezer- 50 Quart: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/ARB-10800472-Fridge-Freezer-Quart/dp/B002Q1INDM)

It runs off 12VDC, 24VDC and 110VAC. From the specs it looks like it draws similar power to a mini fridge, so the cooling performance may be similar. The only problem I see is the price, which is ridiculous. I bought the full size fridge in my kitchen for new for $400.

Putting a non-portable mini fridge in the back of the jeep is going to be kinda cumbersome though. I'd plan it out carefully and make sure it has a solid mount, and do something about the compressor springs (if needed) so its not making noise like crazy while you are driving.

Also, a side-opening fridge is not ideal for inside a cramped SUV.

If someone wants a project, shop craigslist for a mini fridge, inverter, and a cooler..could probably get away with all three for $120. Then gut the mini fridge and put its cooling system into the cooler. Now you have a top loading fridge/cooler! find a nice spot for it in the jeep and make it so you can easily load and unload it. Load it with caviar and fine cheeses and you are ready for moab

Good info, thanks. I love learning stuff.

4.3LXJ
03-07-2015, 04:24 PM
I do it all the time

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/Fordyce%20Trails/Carlyle%20Road/IMG_1440.jpg

1750 W inverter (much bigger than needed)

Old apartment style fridge left over from college days

It is the brown thing in the center buried in camping gear. It works well as long as the vehicle is running. It does run the aux battery down fairly quickly, like in a few hours. So we have gotten around that by using those plastic ice things you put in the freezer and then in your cooler. We keep those in the freezer section and freeze them during the day while wheeling and then those keep the fridge cool at night. Works like a charm

Carves
03-07-2015, 07:15 PM
You fellas have those 3way, 12v, LPG and mains powered caravan fridges over there ???

One a bit smaller than 4.3LXJs is handy for keeping essentials cold.

Need lots of battery reserve if only using 12v.

X 2 on the uselessness, of those 40* below ambient things,

Had one - it was number two on my list of top 10 things I wasted money on.

beatupjeep
03-07-2015, 07:41 PM
I do it all the time

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/Fordyce%20Trails/Carlyle%20Road/IMG_1440.jpg

1750 W inverter (much bigger than needed)

Old apartment style fridge left over from college days

It is the brown thing in the center buried in camping gear. It works well as long as the vehicle is running. It does run the aux battery down fairly quickly, like in a few hours. So we have gotten around that by using those plastic ice things you put in the freezer and then in your cooler. We keep those in the freezer section and freeze them during the day while wheeling and then those keep the fridge cool at night. Works like a charm

oooooh very nice...

WhileInTheWild
03-11-2015, 02:03 PM
A mini fridge may work just fine but it is going to have limitations and if you're not careful or don't add a low voltage cutoff it could leave you stranded if you use it while the vehicle isn't running, I also don't know how well they hold up to off-road abuse.

I have the Winter 45qt fridge from Amazon - Amazon.com: Whynter FM-45G 45-Quart Portable Refrigerator/Freezer, Platinum: Appliances@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416V7zal0tL.@@AMEPARAM@@416V7zal0tL that is similar to the ARB but a little cheaper. It has tons of space especially because you don't have to add external methods of cooling like ice or freezer blocks, it can act as either a fridge or a freezer and runs off of either 12V DC or 110V AC.

I keep mine set at 37 deg F and it keeps it within a 5 degree range either way, it has a low voltage cutoff so if your battery gets too low it won't run the compressor so you don't kill your starter battery. When I first got it I kept it in the back hooked up to my YellowTop starter battery and it ran at temp the whole time but that was during the fall, Summer might be a different story. Now I just keep it running in the garage on wall power and run it on vehicle power when in transit on trips, when camping I have a secondary house battery that I take that I keep charged with a 100W solar panel.

Only real negatives of the fridge is that it only opens like a chest so you have to be careful how you pack it so you can still access the contents where with the ARB the lid comes off for easy access and the handles are not very confidence inducing so I'm in the process of replacing those.

abebehrmann
03-11-2015, 02:15 PM
You fellas have those 3way, 12v, LPG and mains powered caravan fridges over there ???

One a bit smaller than 4.3LXJs is handy for keeping essentials cold.

Need lots of battery reserve if only using 12v.

X 2 on the uselessness, of those 40* below ambient things,

Had one - it was number two on my list of top 10 things I wasted money on.

Hahaha, Carves what was the #1 thing you wasted money on?

XJ Wheeler
03-12-2015, 02:36 AM
^^ The mans got a point...

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Carves
03-14-2015, 08:34 PM
awww ... if I said I was still driving it,

.... you lot would probably get all upset and spit the dummy .. :smiley-scared003: .. :D

Needless to say ... theres been numerous things that have made the number one position.

time saving electrical devices .... the liars .. :rolleyes:

bucket loads of "must have" car accessories .. :o

fuel to get to political election booths .. ;);)

.... its a neverending list .. :D

I have the Winter 45qt fridge from Amazon - Amazon.com: Whynter FM-45G 45-Quart Portable Refrigerator/Freezer, Platinum: Appliances (http://www.amazon.com/Whynter-FM-45G-45-Quart-Portable-Refrigerator/dp/B002W8BLUG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426100054&sr=8-1&keywords=whynter+fridge)

Shame they dont do a LPG supply version as well.

Dont mind the look of their 85qt model.

denverd1
03-23-2015, 07:30 PM
That Coleman looks pretty good. Add in a solar panel and a battery and you're in business