PDA

View Full Version : Front end grinding?

texasxj
03-04-2015, 09:55 PM
hey guys my xj is making a light grinding ish sound in the mornings when i first start driving it parking lot speeds in the morning. it stops after i drive it at higher speeds. this started after i went mudding a few weeks back but didnt start till a week after. any ideas? im thinking the ujoints on the axles maybe

4.3LXJ
03-04-2015, 10:25 PM
Noise coming from the front?

bluedragon436
03-04-2015, 10:38 PM
Does it do it more when you make turns over just going straight, or the same all the time?? I only ask if it seems to do it more or change tones or anything while turning then I'd say it could be either U-joints or hub bearing... but most likely since it started when you when mudding it could probably be just mud stuck up in the brake system, I went through mud with my 98 quite a few times and got mud up in the brakes.. so I just hit up the car wash and pressure washed all the brakes out, and it cured the sounds I had going on... so might be worth a try before you go replacing parts..

texasxj
03-05-2015, 05:44 AM
Does it do it more when you make turns over just going straight, or the same all the time?? I only ask if it seems to do it more or change tones or anything while turning then I'd say it could be either U-joints or hub bearing... but most likely since it started when you when mudding it could probably be just mud stuck up in the brake system, I went through mud with my 98 quite a few times and got mud up in the brakes.. so I just hit up the car wash and pressure washed all the brakes out, and it cured the sounds I had going on... so might be worth a try before you go replacing parts..

i know for sure its not the hubs cuz both are less than 3 weeks old, and so are the brakes, but ive sprayed everything off after so i know the brakes are clean. it starts after i turn the wheel the first time and the sound is kinda randome sounding in its popping and grinding it makes. but it only does this in the morning after its been sitting all night also i can feel it through the wheel and peddles just a bit

4.3LXJ
03-05-2015, 09:51 AM
I guess the first thing to do is check those front axle U joints then.

Mudderoy
03-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Lift the front, rotate the wheels. Really sounds like hub bearings. You should be able to find it in the air. You may need a friend to rotate the wheels while you move around listening. Just make sure everything is safe before climbing under the Jeep.

bluedragon436
03-05-2015, 09:59 PM
i know for sure its not the hubs cuz both are less than 3 weeks old, and so are the brakes, but ive sprayed everything off after so i know the brakes are clean. it starts after i turn the wheel the first time and the sound is kinda randome sounding in its popping and grinding it makes. but it only does this in the morning after its been sitting all night also i can feel it through the wheel and peddles just a bit

That sounds very similar to what I have going on with my Ram right now, and it was diagnosed with being the hubs.. Not completely impossible for the part to be "bad" out of the box... not saying it is completely the hub bearing for sure. but sounds very similar.. You could like Tony said, lift up the front end, try wiggling the wheel and see if it has lots of play.. and also try turning it by hand... would think you'd be able to get it to make noise that way as well, and maybe easily narrow down where the sound is coming from..