PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joints

TallGuyJeep
03-02-2015, 03:38 PM
Well my ball joints are now worn to the point that I don't want to drive around on them anymore. My front tires look like this /----\

Looking around online I've seen adjustable, +/- 1 or 2 degrees of camber/caster, spinning stude, etc.

So do I order stock replacement, or adjustable or what? Also if anyone has any suggestions on brands without breaking the bank that would be much appreciated. :)

Josh

Mudderoy
03-02-2015, 04:51 PM
NW99XJ went with the Alloy USA ball joints. He likes them.

I used Spicer ball joints on the 99.

I put a set of Synergy ball joints on my 98, it's the one I drive and will get off road sooner or later.

4.3LXJ
03-02-2015, 04:53 PM
The adjustable ones are for changing your camber. For instance a Jeep of your era, like mine has a 1.5° difference between left and right from the factory. If you want to get rid of this, although not mandatory, you would use one of these

TallGuyJeep
03-02-2015, 04:57 PM
The adjustable ones are for changing your camber. For instance a Jeep of your era, like mine has a 1.5° difference between left and right from the factory. If you want to get rid of this, although not mandatory, you would use one of these
Does getting rid of the camber do anything beneficial?

4.3LXJ
03-02-2015, 04:59 PM
The current set up is designed to steer the vehicle slightly to the right. I have heard it is a safety thing if you fall asleep, but I cannot confirm that. If you are satisfied with the factory setting, don't worry about it. But you do have a lift, so if you were on stock lower and upper links you might want a little extra camber. But if you are satisfied with what it does now, don't worry about it

TallGuyJeep
03-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Awesome. Thanks for clearing that up Steve. :)

4.3LXJ
03-02-2015, 05:03 PM
That is what we are here for :D

TallGuyJeep
03-02-2015, 05:08 PM
This is seriously THE BEST forum i have ever seen. So many people love to show they are superior or have greater knowledge or whatever and aren't very kind when sharing it. This site is just pure awesomeness. Thank you very much to everyone. :)

Mudderoy
03-02-2015, 05:11 PM
This is seriously THE BEST forum i have ever seen. So many people love to show they are superior or have greater knowledge or whatever and aren't very kind when sharing it. This site is just pure awesomeness. Thank you very much to everyone. :)

Well we think we're superior because we don't belittle the people on this site! :D

Here's a recent past discussion we had on ball joints.

Click on this :link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=17307)

xj-jake
03-03-2015, 11:28 AM
I can feel more hot ball joint talk coming already... I also installed the alloy usa joints in my jeep. So far it seems like they are holding up fine.

TallGuyJeep
03-03-2015, 11:30 AM
That's good to here! Those are the ones i ordered. :D

Mudderoy
03-03-2015, 12:13 PM
That's good to here! Those are the ones i ordered. :D

I may have mentioned this in the other thread, but...

I purchased the ball joint removal and installation cups(?) from Amazon for about $70. Pricey but they are set to the right angle for the D30 and D44. Also I have 3 Jeep so I figured it was worth it.

With the big ass "C" clamp it made removal and installation really easy.

TallGuyJeep
03-03-2015, 12:28 PM
I think I'll get a set too. I've been worrying about that. Here is the link for anyone in the future. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002SRGW0?vs=1

denverd1
03-03-2015, 01:28 PM

group hug!!!

TallGuyJeep
03-05-2015, 11:06 PM
Driver side is pressed in!! :D I actually had more trouble getting the hub off then pressing out the old and pressing in the new... :P i guess having the right adaptor sleeves did the trick!

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/05/9f17cb494f477ab2ecf6458f398fe74d.jpg

But now i'm stumped on what this is for. It came with the lower BJ but there doesnt seem to be anywhere for it to go? Did i do something wrong? It wasn't mentioned in any of the videos or threads i researched...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/05/79dd99b92df9c68ec4293aa4084b80e6.jpg

BTW these are alloy usa ball joints.

4.3LXJ
03-05-2015, 11:18 PM
Beats me

TallGuyJeep
03-05-2015, 11:28 PM
Beats me
I stumped Mr. 4.3LXJ??? Is that possible?? Haha ;)

TallGuyJeep
03-05-2015, 11:32 PM
My hypothesis is that that piece is for a different model jeep. These ball joints also fit some grand cherokees and wranglers. Other than that i have no idea.

bluedragon436
03-05-2015, 11:39 PM
Yeah was about to say I can't remember what model it's for, but these joints are used for multiple different axles and model vehicles, other then just Jeeps... I remember seeing once before where someone identified what model it was for, or they contacted Alloy to find out what it was for, and was told what model it was for... but isn't for any of our Jeeps...

TallGuyJeep
03-05-2015, 11:43 PM
That's good. Maybe i will call alloy just to satisfy my curiosity now.

bluedragon436
03-05-2015, 11:50 PM
That's good. Maybe i will call alloy just to satisfy my curiosity now.

I'm sure they wouldn't have any issues with that.. I honestly think it would be better if they had on the instructions that it may or may not be used.. or at least say what vehicle will need that clip on the box or something

TallGuyJeep
03-05-2015, 11:58 PM
They didn't actually come with instructions... Probably not a whole bunch of people willing/able to do it themselves. Still it would be nice...

bluedragon436
03-06-2015, 12:14 AM
They didn't actually come with instructions... Probably not a whole bunch of people willing/able to do it themselves. Still it would be nice...

Not a whole lot of people that would be willing to do it themselves, would read the instructions anyways!! LOL... But yeah, you'd think the'd put the clip in a little baggie, and have a card in it that would say only used on... whatever model!! just to ease the mind of anyone installing these joints in their vehicles that doesn't require the clip...

TallGuyJeep
03-06-2015, 12:20 AM
HA! Thats a good point! Maybe some day in the future we will have a perfect world with cards in baggies... If only...

bluedragon436
03-06-2015, 12:25 AM
HA! Thats a good point! Maybe some day in the future we will have a perfect world with cards in baggies... If only...

I mean I'd settle for a permanent marker on the baggie!! LOL..

Mudderoy
03-06-2015, 01:57 PM
I believe there is a snap ring groove in that lower ball joint. Check the one you haven't installed yet. You may not have pressed it in far enough.

Maybe Josh (NW99XJ) will chime in, he installed some of these last year.

TallGuyJeep
03-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Hmmm. I will take a closer look when i get home. It seemed to be pressed in all the way but i will check.

Mudderoy
03-06-2015, 02:16 PM
I can't believe you didn't get a set of these to install while you had all that apart! :P

http://www.alloyusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/1/11102.jpg

Mudderoy
03-06-2015, 02:24 PM
Josh says he didn't use the snap rings on his 1999 Jeep Cherokee.

TallGuyJeep
03-06-2015, 02:27 PM
Honestly i didn't even know about those. Just reverse image searched them. But i do see a similar snap ring on those tube seals...

Mudderoy
03-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Honestly i didn't even know about those. Just reverse image searched them. But i do see a similar snap ring on those tube seals...

Alloy USA Axle tube seals, red is the best! :D

TallGuyJeep
03-06-2015, 02:36 PM
You should have told me when i was ordering stuff! Haha i Wonder if i had them shipped oveenight... I could get the other side installed tonight, put the tube seals in tomorrow then get everything put back together.... What do you guys think? Worth it? My parents are kinda sick of me taking the whole garage...

TallGuyJeep
03-06-2015, 02:45 PM
Might s well get new hubs too and steering knuckles... Some chromaly shafts... I'm not sure if i get off road enough to really warrant more than what's really necessary for mainly city driving...

Mudderoy
03-06-2015, 03:16 PM
You should have told me when i was ordering stuff! Haha i Wonder if i had them shipped oveenight... I could get the other side installed tonight, put the tube seals in tomorrow then get everything put back together.... What do you guys think? Worth it? My parents are kinda sick of me taking the whole garage...

It's only worth it if this happens...

http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/axlemaint/pumpkin_goop.jpg

I believe if you inner seals are good this won't happen, but I liked the idea of having inner and outer seals.

TallGuyJeep
03-06-2015, 03:21 PM
That doesn't look good... I think i will hold off for now. I miss driving my Jeep too much. I guess in the future i will have to upgrade some more stuff so i have a chance to put those in... ;)

TallGuyJeep
03-07-2015, 11:23 PM
All new ball joints are in! Everything installed, even got a set of new lug nuts for all 4 corners. Only one little hiccup... My brake pads pretty much turned to dust when gettting them back on the passenger side. So now i need new brake pads and I'm stuck driving the minivan a little longer. :P i guess it's better they turn to dust while in the garage instead of while driving though so kind of a blessing in disguise i guess.

Mudderoy
03-07-2015, 11:49 PM
All new ball joints are in! Everything installed, even got a set of new lug nuts for all 4 corners. Only one little hiccup... My brake pads pretty much turned to dust when gettting them back on the passenger side. So now i need new brake pads and I'm stuck driving the minivan a little longer. :P i guess it's better they turn to dust while in the garage instead of while driving though so kind of a blessing in disguise i guess.

I went with the slightly more expensive brake pads this last change and it really made a difference. Semi-metallic? I think that was what I got.