PDA

View Full Version : No wipers, radio, or fan

1996_XJ
02-27-2015, 07:38 PM
With the key in either the Run or On position I have no wipers, no radio and no fan/blower motor. With the key in the Accessory position all of these work.
And get this - the rear wiper is just the opposite - it works when the key is in the Run or On position but not when the key is in the Accessory position.
I have checked fuses and they are good.
What else could be involved? I hate electrical gremlins.

Roqon>
02-27-2015, 09:09 PM
Check the ignition switch adjustment, clean or replace if needed.

1996_XJ
02-28-2015, 12:49 PM
I'm not sure how to do that, can you explain how? Thanks!

Mudderoy
02-28-2015, 01:21 PM
With the key in either the Run or On position I have no wipers, no radio and no fan/blower motor. With the key in the Accessory position all of these work.
And get this - the rear wiper is just the opposite - it works when the key is in the Run or On position but not when the key is in the Accessory position.
I have checked fuses and they are good.
What else could be involved? I hate electrical gremlins.

If you put it in the on position and wiggle it around, does anything start working?

1996_XJ
02-28-2015, 04:48 PM
If you put it in the on position and wiggle it around, does anything start working?

No, the wipers, radio, and fan still don't work if I try that.

jschmidt250
02-28-2015, 05:40 PM
When I had a similar issue, it was the the ignition switch. Contact looked discolored so I replaced it. That solved my problem.

1996_XJ
03-29-2015, 01:18 PM
Just wanted to let everyone here know that it turned out to be the switch that the key goes into, I don't know if that's called the ignition switch or the starter switch or what. Anyway, I put in a replacement switch and all is well.

nickxj94
03-29-2015, 05:16 PM
Hmm maybe that is what is going on with my 93..the wipers don't work unless i wiggle the wipers switch. Radio goes off and comes back on when wipers are switched on.