PDA

View Full Version : Ignition switch causing radio noise?

OldFaurt
02-25-2015, 10:21 PM
My AM radio stations are plagued with ignition noise every now and then.
If I rotate the key a little, I can make it go away.
Is this common?
Will a new switch help?

As the switch is inexpensive, I plan to replace it then do an Autopsy on the bad boy!

Still, anyone else experience this?

autotech98
02-27-2015, 12:59 AM
They still have am stations.....

autotech98
03-04-2015, 01:21 PM
Seriously thought.... could be the ground. Do you have stock or aftermarket tunes??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547

WhiteDevil1311
03-07-2015, 10:48 AM
My wifes 2007 grand prix does this on AM band. Mechanic says its electrical noise. I know they used to sell an ignition noise isolator not sure anymore. Wires into positive feed to radio or antenna lead i forget

OldFaurt
03-12-2015, 08:06 PM
My wifes 2007 grand prix does this on AM band. Mechanic says its electrical noise. I know they used to sell an ignition noise isolator not sure anymore. Wires into positive feed to radio or antenna lead i forget

Well I pulled and disassembled the ignition switch assembly.
The Purple wire connector and the terminal in the switch were burnt and the contact
had melted and moved out of place. I repared the switch, burnished the contacts,
buffed out and re set the terminal in the connector. Reassembled the assembly &
It helped, but I still have a noise after turning on the heater, headlights, turnsignals, etc.
I am going to look into the Ground connection at the alternator to make sure it includes
both the engine block and the chassis. I think it could also be oil on the contactors for the field (Rotor).

I work in the Electronics industry as a PCB Design Engineer,

What I am thinking is, with a poor ground on the chassis or block, I am picking up common mode noise when the alternator kicks in. This weekend I will put my scope on it and see where the noise lives. If I can, I will get some pictures for you guys!

Also looking for some good tires, General Grabbers look good & get really good marks.
Anyone ever run them on an XJ? 90% of my jeeping is 130 mile round trip every day to work, So Milage is a prerequisit! Good Texas weather handling is also a biggy!

Oh my Beautiful wife just dropped of a big bowl of Rocky Road Ice cream!
YUM!

4.3LXJ
03-12-2015, 08:50 PM
You are up north aren't you Bob? Those grabbers will suck on snow and ice and are not a mud tire. They were designed as a dirt tire. The square block design has been used successfully in several dirt tires especially in places like Baja

Brasscatz
03-12-2015, 09:11 PM
He's down here in the Houston area. I was gonna suggest Wrangler Dura Tracs. I've been happy with them on mine. I can't attest to the longevity as I quit using it as a DD a while back, but I bought the Jeep with them on there and after putting about 40k miles on them, they are getting close to needing replacement. I don't know how long the previous owner had them before I bought the Jeep though.

OldFaurt
03-12-2015, 09:51 PM
You are up north aren't you Bob? Those grabbers will suck on snow and ice and are not a mud tire. They were designed as a dirt tire. The square block design has been used successfully in several dirt tires especially in places like Baja

No, Use to live Near lower Mendocino Coast area, but now live just miles from Mudderoy.

I need something not too slick for splorrin the great out doors but last longer than 20 minutes on the freeway. Have an old set of BFGodrich ATs that I have beat the snot out of but they SUCK on ice and my commute has had ice! Soooo. looking for other options...
Want at least 30" diameter, 9.5 to 10.5 wide & not sounding like a howler monkey running down the freeway would be a plus!

NW99XJ
03-12-2015, 10:46 PM
My AM radio stations are plagued with ignition noise every now and then.
If I rotate the key a little, I can make it go away.
Is this common?
Will a new switch help?

As the switch is inexpensive, I plan to replace it then do an Autopsy on the bad boy!

Still, anyone else experience this?
Jiggling the ignition to make it go away definitely sounds like there is some feedback coming through the electrical system.
Since AM radio uses the ground plane as the antenna instead of the actual antenna you see protruding from the fender.
... AM Radio has always been the victim of "Accessory Pops & Clicks" like when you turn the turn signal on,.. you may be able to "hear it" thru the stereo.
... This is from the radio receiver sharing a ground with the rest of the electrical system. It's basically a ground loop of the radio's receiver is what it sounds like.
To eliminate this, you can try re-grounding the radio itself... using a larger gauge wire than the power, and keeping it as short as possible.
(also making sure you have a good, clean, bare metal contact point.)
Another option would be to install a Inline Antenna Noise Sound Filter, like the one you see below... you can find that particular one on Amazon for under $15.00
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81zZvu-7uHL._SL1500_.jpg

Hope this helps.
Good luck.

denverd1
03-15-2015, 01:18 PM
Noise filter it and be done

OldFaurt
04-14-2015, 07:36 PM
Noise filter it and be done

Well found my noise! The headlight connector under the airbox was full green zombies!
Cleaned it up to solve a blinking headlight issue... Aurgh! still have it that Radio sounds GREAT!
Going to upgrade the harness and do a 10AWG wire bypass with a relay/fuses.
I like to SEE AT 5:30AM on the way to work!

What I found, was if I pulled the headlight (turn signal) lever towards me to the flash position that works with the headlight switch off, I could blind cars and see the road...
I know, I hate it, but it only happens when the 1-2 cars every 10 minutes is coming towards me!

Then when the low beam cuts back in, I release the lever.

It happens in High or Low beam so it may just be high overall current throuh wires that are just barely rated for 55-60 watt X 2 (10 Amps) as the 20 AWG stock wire is rated at 11 Amps. with old connectors and the length... I can see why the added resistance would cause the Circuit breaker to pop! 10 AWG wire is rated at 55 Amps and that will be a HUGE improvement!

I will do a full workup / photos just for the fun of it!