PDA

View Full Version : Which Shocks? (2" Lift)

Lumpo414
02-24-2015, 02:57 PM
I just bought a 2001 XJ and it has a 2" suspension lift. It seems like when im hard on the brakes the truck feels like its nose diving so im hoping a new set of quality shocks will cure the problem. Like i stated it has a 2" suspension lift and i will also like a heavier duty shock if possible since i will be towing my 3000lb. boat around in the summer.

My next question is related to lighting...It came with a bumper and it has two holes predrilled where i can install a light im both ends of the bumper. My question is which lights should i buy? I drive on very dark country roads and need the best light output for the money. What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

autotech98
02-24-2015, 03:17 PM
Led lights for shure! I just put a 20 inch on the bumper and its awesome. Shocks im not sure as mine isnt lifted but a lot of guys on here will be able to help

XJ Wheeler
02-24-2015, 03:27 PM
Everyone that runs Bilstein 5100 shocks that I've talked to seem to be happy with them. Plan on some myself when i can.

The lights, do you want longer range or more of a wide pattern?

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

4.3LXJ
02-24-2015, 05:22 PM
What does your lift consist of?

Lumpo414
02-24-2015, 08:37 PM
Everyone that runs Bilstein 5100 shocks that I've talked to seem to be happy with them. Plan on some myself when i can.

The lights, do you want longer range or more of a wide pattern?

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

I guess more distance I'm after I just want to see that deer in time to react lol. As far what my lift consist of I don't have a clue. I just bought it yesterday and guy told me it has 2" suspension lift. Do I need to order longer than stock shocks with 2" lift?

4.3LXJ
02-24-2015, 08:46 PM
What does your lift consist of?

XJ Wheeler
02-24-2015, 11:53 PM
I guess more distance I'm after I just want to see that deer in time to react lol. As far what my lift consist of I don't have a clue. I just bought it yesterday and guy told me it has 2" suspension lift. Do I need to order longer than stock shocks with 2" lift?

Then you want "driving" lights. They will add to the range of your headlights, and aiming is quite important with how affective they can be. LED lights are good at dispersing light around, but most don't do well in the range department as well as I have yet to see one that is DOT legal. Try to stay away from the little puny autoparts store ones. I use a set of 55 watt 4" x 6" Blazer driving lights pretty much any time my headlights are on. Something like this is a good design and fairly common.

To give you an idea of what I am talking about?

As far as the shocks, if you plan to keep it at two inches higher I would get appropriate length shocks. If you plan on going higher or removing the lift I would just get some cheap stock replacements for now. To check the lift this thread should help you. http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8144

Lumpo414
02-28-2015, 10:16 AM
What are the thoughts on the Ranchero RS 5000? What's the biggest tire I can run with no rubbing with my 2" lift?

4.3LXJ
02-28-2015, 10:27 AM
I have some 5000s that I would give away to someone I don't like. They are really a road shock. They ride stiff. They don't work well on trails until you hit 35 mph

Lumpo414
03-02-2015, 10:28 AM
Im not sure i want to spend $80 a shock. Any other suggestions? Also im doing tons a research and cant find the biggest tire i can fit on 2001 XJ with 2" suspension lift with no cutting fenders 30's or 31's?. Any tire recommendations? Looking for a good combination of highway and trail with deep snow traction. Thanks for any suggestions.

4.3LXJ
03-02-2015, 11:55 AM
30" tires for sure and 31" with very slight rubbing

abebehrmann
03-02-2015, 11:58 AM
Im not sure i want to spend $80 a shock. Any other suggestions? Also im doing tons a research and cant find the biggest tire i can fit on 2001 XJ with 2" suspension lift with no cutting fenders 30's or 31's?. Any tire recommendations? Looking for a good combination of highway and trail with deep snow traction. Thanks for any suggestions.

30s would be the safest choice. 31s might be ok on road but I think they would rub when you ventured off pavement.

As for the shocks, you could get a set of OEM replacements and use those with some Bar Pin Eliminators (BPEs) if you want to keep it on the cheap side. You can either buy bar pin eliminators for the front and rear or just buy the front and use your rear swar-bar brackets to make your own BPEs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4484HbaQcEY

Another option would be to use stock JK shocks. You can find them for free or close to it on CL, they're a bit longer than stock XJ shocks (rubicon shocks are even longer), and IIRC rear bolts up just fine if you press out the metal insert. The front will require BPEs.

Lumpo414
03-02-2015, 04:20 PM
Yeah thanks I think I'll stick with 30's. What's a good all around truck tire that will handle deep snow? As far as shocks I don't want to be super cheap with them. It's a daily driver for my wife so just looking for a descent ride. Im looking for direct replacement shock no other parts. Still unsure which to go with :-/

4.3LXJ
03-02-2015, 04:51 PM
You still never told us what kind of lift you have. What you used makes a difference on the shocks

Lumpo414
03-02-2015, 04:53 PM
What should i look at im not familiar with lifts or the different kinds.

4.3LXJ
03-02-2015, 04:55 PM
For instance, are there spacers up front and extended shackles in the rear or an add a leaf. If an AAL, a thick one or stock type leaf. Stuff like that. That will determine what length shock you need, which can limit your choices