PDA

View Full Version : Rusty quarters

OGCollard
02-22-2015, 06:27 PM
In the process of removing my old bumper and end caps i found my quarter panels behind rear wheels had some big rust holes in them. Bad timing as it is 10 degrees here. Well i cut them off and am in process of using rust reformer and primer before i truck bed line the area before adding steel caps. I can now say if you are careful and patient you can get a couple coats of rust reformer and spray primer on in 10 degree weather. Will have to wait for warmer weather before lining the spots though. I hate waiting

bluedragon436
02-22-2015, 07:31 PM
Now is this the lower rear quarters, or like inside the wheel wells?? I'm assuming you're referring to the lower quarters where stuff gets stuck in there between it and the brackets that hold the bumper end caps on.. If so, I'd say look into doing a Cut-N-Fold on it...

OGCollard
02-23-2015, 07:29 AM
That is the spot yes. I would do cut n fold but since i did not really have much metal i have to do a cut n cap!

bluedragon436
02-23-2015, 09:29 AM
Oh yeah... that makes sense.. but at least you'll still get the added clearance behind the tires and the knowledge of knowing you won't be bashing up your hard work if you were to just repair the quarter itself.. lol

OGCollard
02-23-2015, 12:09 PM
Yes. I actually like how it looks. I just dont have heated garage and i need to paint them.did i mention i hate waiting? after this project i have the brmper to put on and cooling system and suspension to replace.want to get those going but know better than to get multiple projects going. I do best 1 at a time....

XJ Wheeler
02-23-2015, 08:35 PM
Had the same problem with mine. Ended up cutting off everything but 1" below the bodyline, bent the rest up, and welded a 16 gauge to cover it.

Pastorjosh
02-25-2015, 07:56 AM
Had the same problem with mine. Ended up cutting off everything but 1" below the bodyline, bent the rest up, and welded a 16 gauge to cover it.

Do you have a pic backed away just a little bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XJ Wheeler
02-25-2015, 03:54 PM
Do you have a pic backed away just a little bit?

Sure, although they're after it was completed.

These good?

OGCollard
02-25-2015, 07:19 PM
Those look good wheeler. I finished making my caps today. Busy priming and lining before i install. Will need to weld some corners up a little

Pastorjosh
02-25-2015, 09:45 PM
I second that. They look awesome. I need to do something similar soon.

XJ Wheeler
02-25-2015, 10:24 PM
Thanks guys. It was a lot of work but well worth it to get rid of that rust and make way for a bumper that goes up to the wheel opening. And if you have any questions about how I did mine feel free to ask.

rabies
03-02-2015, 10:33 AM
i didnt have much either. used sheet metal from a microwave. screwedd glued and welded on,
and for the record POR 15 is...Ah maz Zing