PDA

View Full Version : Filled tank with shell vpower. now engine runs rough.

dagod16
02-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Why?

OrangeXJ
02-22-2015, 05:07 PM
There gas shipment may have had water in it or the main tank is low and has water in the bottom. There was a station here in Houston not to long ago ( it was a Chevron ) and they got a load of bad gas and it messed up alot of engines. Put some gas additive in it that removes water and go from there.

Mudderoy
02-22-2015, 07:28 PM
Things go bad at any time, it could be that it isn't fuel related. Keep an open mind in diagnosing problems.

dagod16
02-22-2015, 09:55 PM
I am 100% positive its fuel related.
I added some heat and it idles a bit better.

nickyg
02-23-2015, 12:21 AM
Take the fuel out of the equation. Drain and refill the tank. keep the old gas for your lawnmower.

Doriansrjeep93
02-23-2015, 12:29 AM
I'd say check all your fluids maybe its something low and is sending codes back and the ecu is not running right. Besides that start easy and cheap and go from there!

dagod16
02-23-2015, 05:07 AM
It ran perfect up to the gas station. After I filled it and then started it up it started the rough idle.

Hoe0w would I empty the tank.

Mudderoy
02-23-2015, 06:54 AM
http://youtu.be/xpHqraOdMDs

dagod16
03-08-2015, 08:09 AM
Update:
I have run three tanks of gas hrough the jeep since the tank of bad gas. It runs fine when I'm driving but when I am at idle, just sitting still it still has trouble.
In each of those tanks I used heat in the yellow bottle in tank one. Then the next tank I used in the red bottle with injector cleaner, then in the last tank I used lucas tuneup in a bottle.

So what do I do now to stop this rough idle? It's like it almost wants to stall but doesn't

oderdene
03-08-2015, 08:15 AM
pour one more lucas tuneup or go for seafoam. I guess gunks in fuel system goes to injectors, clogging them, so the rough idling

beatupjeep
03-08-2015, 10:39 AM
Update:
I have run three tanks of gas hrough the jeep since the tank of bad gas. It runs fine when I'm driving but when I am at idle, just sitting still it still has trouble.
In each of those tanks I used heat in the yellow bottle in tank one. Then the next tank I used in the red bottle with injector cleaner, then in the last tank I used lucas tuneup in a bottle.

So what do I do now to stop this rough idle? It's like it almost wants to stall but doesn't

Its not going to be fixed by gas tank additives, and it was not caused by your fill up that fateful day. Pop the hood and inspect every electrical connection you can see. If you can do it SAFELY, wiggle all the connections while its idling rough to see if the problem goes away. Check all the vacuum line connections as well, especially to the MAP sensor.

With engine off, pull the vacuum line going to the fuel regulator and see if any gas comes out, there should be zero.

Doriansrjeep93
03-08-2015, 12:28 PM
When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter? Also you should check your plugs and your fuel injectors. That's my take on it!!!

dagod16
03-08-2015, 01:54 PM
It was caused by filling up with bad gas. I'm not kidding...I was running great with a chic in the jeep and pulled up and wanted to get vpower and bam, after I started it up after the fill up this crap started!!!!

Ive never replaced the fuel filter because the fuel filter is inside the gas tank... Yes/NO?

dagod16
03-08-2015, 05:11 PM
So I ran my scanner, and it gave me two codes.

Cylinder 1 misfire. po301

and an evap leak p0455

So what causes the misfire and how do I fix an evap leak. Could the bad gas cause the spark plug to get all gumed up?

dagod16
03-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Sounds much better now that I took out the plug, cleaned it, and then put it back into place. Both codes went away. Sitting in my kitchen for a second while it warms up, it still sounds a slivvvver off. But the codes don't show up yet. Gonna go for a drive. Maybe I will pick up some extra plugs.

beatupjeep
03-08-2015, 06:06 PM
It was caused by filling up with bad gas. I'm not kidding...I was running great with a chic in the jeep and pulled up and wanted to get vpower and bam, after I started it up after the fill up this crap started!!!!

Ive never replaced the fuel filter because the fuel filter is inside the gas tank... Yes/NO?

Did the problem occur immediately upon startup once you finished filling up? Because in that case, you are aware the fuel rail and lines still have your old gas in them until its consumed, right? Meaning whatever you put in the tank, whether it be bad gas or orange juice, would have no immediate impact on the engine.

dagod16
03-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Went and bought a new $2.58 spark plug and installed it and it runs great. That engine purzzzzzz like a kitten. I really think I can get this vehicle to 300K. Im at 224K now. 75 K is not much farther to go.

nickyg
03-08-2015, 07:41 PM
at 300K your just getting broken in

dagod16
03-08-2015, 08:27 PM
I actually can't believe I have 224K on it. It will still be 6 or 7 years till I hit 300K but it's fast approaching. This tranny that I have is so amazing and works great!!

WhiteDevil1311
03-10-2015, 11:14 AM
Replace all the plugs at the same time. I use the 1.99 autolite coppers seems to work the best in my stock 177k 94 4.0...if ones no bueno the rest aren't going to last much longer