PDA

View Full Version : What clutch master cylinder DOESN'T leak?

beatupjeep
02-20-2015, 06:33 PM
My clutch master cylinder is leaking..AGAIN. So that means it will be the third I have installed in 5 years, and maybe 30k miles. Yes, its the cheapest autobone one..but how can it be this bad? Do they simply use the wrong oring material or what?

So what is the least expensive clutch master cylinder that WONT leak? And I mean..for at least 5 years.

JargonXJ
02-22-2015, 07:13 AM
Hmm. Don't know. My OEM clutch cylinder hasn't had any issues in at least 10 years. Maybe buy a higher quality one (more money).

Mudderoy
02-22-2015, 08:40 AM
I was told by a guy that in charge of fleet maintenance for a large county in Texas, always buy OEM. I learned this on the sensors.

beatupjeep
02-22-2015, 09:52 AM
I was told by a guy that in charge of fleet maintenance for a large county in Texas, always buy OEM. I learned this on the sensors.

Buying OEM parts as a rule is a nice idea but doesn't make sense on a $500 beater. If I did that i'd have spent several times the cost of the vehicle by now. 90% of the time the cheaper parts work out fine. I have a ton of cheap autojunk parts on this jeep. The only one that has been a repeat offender is this clutch master cylinder. Actually the $5 autozone engine mounts were a joke too, those were upgraded to brown dog poly mounts and that was certainly worth it.

You cant go just by price either. As I've been browsing the clutch master cylinders on ebay and rockauto, there are wildly varying prices. Some of the aluminum ones are three times as expensive as the cast iron ones. Even some plastic ones are more expensive than the aluminum ones. Its pretty clear why the aluminum one fails..its got a steel/iron piston and an unanodized, soft aluminum bore. Pretty much the worst combination possible. But for the same price you can get a cast iron one, which may not have that issue.

Mudderoy
02-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Buying OEM parts as a rule is a nice idea but doesn't make sense on a $500 beater. If I did that i'd have spent several times the cost of the vehicle by now. 90% of the time the cheaper parts work out fine. I have a ton of cheap autojunk parts on this jeep. The only one that has been a repeat offender is this clutch master cylinder. Actually the $5 autozone engine mounts were a joke too, those were upgraded to brown dog poly mounts and that was certainly worth it.

You cant go just by price either. As I've been browsing the clutch master cylinders on ebay and rockauto, there are wildly varying prices. Some of the aluminum ones are three times as expensive as the cast iron ones. Even some plastic ones are more expensive than the aluminum ones. Its pretty clear why the aluminum one fails..its got a steel/iron piston and an unanodized, soft aluminum bore. Pretty much the worst combination possible. But for the same price you can get a cast iron one, which may not have that issue.

I get it you're looking for a happy medium. I've always looked at it you buy the best or you pay for it with your labor. You know changing out the same part several times.