PDA

View Full Version : Engine Noise

bluedragon436
02-18-2015, 05:08 PM
So now that I got almost all the sensors replaced due to CEL's, and taken care of quite a few jacked up wires and connections (the proper way) and got her registered... she has decided to start talking to me.. and by talking to me, I mean more squealing and whining at me... I'm pretty sure it's the bearings or something going out on the distributor, but figure I'll post it up here, to see if I can get some feedback from folks first before I waste money if I'm quite a bit off on what I'm thinking the issue is..

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/th_20150217_104250.mp4 (http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20150217_104250.mp4)

4.3LXJ
02-18-2015, 05:33 PM
Can you get it narrowed down by listening?

bluedragon436
02-18-2015, 05:34 PM
I've only driven it once since this started, and that was today when I drove it about two blocks to the gas station to fill it up for the first time since I purchased the Jeep, and it was still making the sound once I got to the gas station, but by the time I got back to the house, it wasn't making the sound any longer, and even after I revved it up a little bit, it didn't seem to make the noise anymore.. so not sure if it's something that once stuff warms up it stops making the noise, or what the deal is...

4.3LXJ
02-18-2015, 05:35 PM
It is a mystery to me

bluedragon436
02-18-2015, 05:37 PM
Yeah I'm kind of lost too.. Debating about just replacing the rotor and cap, shits and giggles and see if that remedies the issue.. if not, then I guess I'll go with a new distributor..

4.3LXJ
02-18-2015, 05:39 PM
I think a more likely culprit is an alternator bearing

bluedragon436
02-18-2015, 06:25 PM
I think a more likely culprit is an alternator bearing

Yeah this is something I've thought about as well.. so going to see if I can find my little stethoscope and see if I can narrow down if it is the alternator, or the distributor.. Figure want to upgrade the alternator when it goes out, but don't want to replace it just for the heck of it if I can help it tough.. not to mention would really like to stop whatever is squealing before it gets worse, or causes any other/severe damage in case whatever the issue is.. if it's something that can cause more damage..

XJ Wheeler
02-18-2015, 08:18 PM
Just went through that with my brothers '90. Turned out to be the alternator. We had a mechanics stethoscope and you could tell very easily when you put it on the case. I'd pick one up and go from there. No point in replacing stuff that may not be the cause.

bluedragon436
02-19-2015, 07:31 AM
Just went through that with my brothers '90. Turned out to be the alternator. We had a mechanics stethoscope and you could tell very easily when you put it on the case. I'd pick one up and go from there. No point in replacing stuff that may not be the cause.

Yeah, going to hit up HF today on my way to AZ to pick up rotors and pads for the XJ.. see if I can find the little stethoscope there that I've seen before... if not, then one day when it's half way decent temps, I'll pull the drive belt (since I got a new one to put on it anyways), and see if that doesn't stop the squeal.. figure let it run just for a few minutes, as it usually makes the squeal right off after starting it, so won't have to worry about it getting too hot or anything... But would rather pick up the stethoscope and do it that way, since I'm sure it'll be a handy tool to have for other troubleshooting in time..

XJ Wheeler
02-19-2015, 02:56 PM
Yeah, going to hit up HF today on my way to AZ to pick up rotors and pads for the XJ.. see if I can find the little stethoscope there that I've seen before... if not, then one day when it's half way decent temps, I'll pull the drive belt (since I got a new one to put on it anyways), and see if that doesn't stop the squeal.. figure let it run just for a few minutes, as it usually makes the squeal right off after starting it, so won't have to worry about it getting too hot or anything... But would rather pick up the stethoscope and do it that way, since I'm sure it'll be a handy tool to have for other troubleshooting in time..

That's where we got ours. Not very good but it'll do... and is cheap.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

denverd1
02-19-2015, 02:59 PM
you can use a long screwdriver to listen to parts as well. you're going to look a little crazy listening to a screwdriver but it works. was able to identify which cylinders had loose rockers on a v8 I was working on

beatupjeep
02-20-2015, 08:54 PM
repetition rate of noise can tell you alot..if its repeating at engine rpm speed its probably something spinning at exactly engine speed..

if its twice the speed..then something with half the pulley diameter of the crank

if its a sixth the speed..something on one cylinder..

half the speed..something in the valvetrain..

etc..etc..

bluedragon436
02-20-2015, 09:18 PM
To me it sounds like it spins @ the same speed as the engine.. but can't be 100%.. Picked up the stethoscope from HF yesterday, so will try and go out and see if I can't figure out where the sound is coming from.. was going to do it when I got home from work and picking up the stethoscope.. but for some reason once the engine warms up a bit, the noise stops.. which just baffles me even more on what it is... Even after sitting for about three hours it still doesn't make the noise.. so will start it up tomorrow and see if it is squealing.. if so then I'll check into it using the stethoscope and see if I can narrow down where the sound is coming from.. I sort of hope it is the distributor as it is cheaper than the alternator..

Jeepster19
02-20-2015, 10:04 PM
It sounds like the distributor.Mine was making the same noise and I traced it to the distributor with the same mechanics stethoscope from Harbour freight.I just put some lube on the distributor shaft until I can pickup another.So far so good!Good luck and let us know what you find out.:xj-black::D

bluedragon436
02-20-2015, 10:15 PM
It sounds like the distributor.Mine was making the same noise and I traced it to the distributor with the same mechanics stethoscope from Harbour freight.I just put some lube on the distributor shaft until I can pickup another.So far so good!Good luck and let us know what you find out.:xj-black::D

Did you just pull the rotor bug off and put lube on the shaft from the top, or what?? Going to try and hit it up tomorrow, if the wind will die down long enough.. if it comes out that it is the distributor, two of the AZ's within about 10 mile radius have them in stock, and I'll go and snag up another and get it swapped out.. Seems like a fairly straight forward task to swap em over... so we'll see I guess..