PDA

View Full Version : Recovery point options with 1" receiver?

packmule1911
02-18-2015, 12:16 PM
The Jeep came with a U-haul 1" receiver hitch. The budget is not keen on replacing the hitch with a 2" version, or putting on some great new bumper and winch set-up. But, I'd like to add a recovery point somewhere and a shackle of tow hook sounds great, but I can't find anything 1". Does such a thing exist?

If 2" is the only option, is converting a 1" to 2" with an insert/extension strong enough? I'm not off-roading. This is more just to get me or someone else unstuck from the snow and such.

Thanks.

prerunner1982
02-18-2015, 12:28 PM
The insert is likely your only option. A 1" receiver after you drill a hole through it big enough for a d-ring/shackle would likely not be strong enough. With the insert you would still need to follow the weigh rating of the 1" hitch itself... I would be leery of side pulls as well and try to get any rope/chain straight back from your hitch.

4.3LXJ
02-18-2015, 01:06 PM
Usable with an insert, but not great. It could fail in a big stuck

packmule1911
02-18-2015, 03:57 PM
Usable with an insert, but not great. It could fail in a big stuck

I hear you. I was hoping I could find something like this in 1", but I guess not.

XJ Wheeler
02-18-2015, 04:05 PM
If you have the means, and a junkyard nearby, i suggest pulling a 2" off there. The yard i frequent charges $18, so that's a lot more affordable than new. You may have to get some hardware though. And be sure to pull the nutstrips should you do this.

But to explain my logic. The smaller hitches like you have are made with less strength throughout. Smaller morning brackets, less mounting points, and smaller tubing. Not sure of your hitches rating but usually those smaller one aren't rated high enough to account for the weight of the entire vehicle. 2500# is pretty typical and XJs weigh around 3-3500# stock.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

packmule1911
02-18-2015, 04:09 PM
If you have the means, and a junkyard nearby, i suggest pulling a 2" off there. The yard i frequent charges $18, so that's a lot more affordable than new. You may have to get some hardware though. And be sure to pull the nutstrips should you do this.

I get it. No expectation that a 1" is sufficient, just making due.

I do have a yard or two nearby (found a full size spare), and will try to find a 2".

What are nutstrips?

abebehrmann
02-18-2015, 04:18 PM
It's basically a strip of metal with nuts welded to it that goes inside the unitbody frame rail to sandwich the sheetmetal of the frame rail and the actual hitch.

XJ Wheeler
02-18-2015, 04:29 PM
X2 ^^

packmule1911
02-18-2015, 09:51 PM
a junkyard nearby, i suggest pulling a 2" off there.

The closest yard has an inventory system, like most I guess, where you can search against year, make, and model. Specific to a 2001 Cherokee, they show nothing, but you can expand your search for a range of years to find "non-interchangeable" parts that might work. They're listing two:

1990 4 door 4x4 Cherokee
1996 4 door 4WD Cherokee

What range is like to fit, or are there other Jeep's whose hitches would also fit XJ's? I've not learned yet what is interchangeable.

Would the nut strips from the 1" I'm taking off have a change at working with the 2"? I'd think that might be likely since they're mounted in the same place.

XJ Wheeler
02-19-2015, 12:26 AM
The closest yard has an inventory system, like most I guess, where you can search against year, make, and model. Specific to a 2001 Cherokee, they show nothing, but you can expand your search for a range of years to find "non-interchangeable" parts that might work. They're listing two:

1990 4 door 4x4 Cherokee
1996 4 door 4WD Cherokee

What range is like to fit, or are there other Jeep's whose hitches would also fit XJ's? I've not learned yet what is interchangeable.

Would the nut strips from the 1" I'm taking off have a change at working with the 2"? I'd think that might be likely since they're mounted in the same place.

Trailer hitches are pretty much universal for XJs. I would stick to that model only to be sure. But any year should fit.

The nutstrips actually won't work most likely because the 2" typically has longer mounting brackets that utilize more holes, so you need nutstrips that have those extra nuts as well.

Mudderoy
02-19-2015, 05:20 AM
This says it's for a 1.25 receiver. I'm assuming that's the actual size of the 1" receivers?

http://images.bidlessnow.com/thumbs/TAW/TAW-WAR62041_280_280.jpg

:link: (http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-Winch-Accessories/ATV-Steel-Receiver-Shackle-Kit.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=190&t_pt=8404&t_pn=WAR62041&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gp=1&gclid=CMKqzsDx7cMCFQeRaQodIbYAFQ)

cpttuna
02-19-2015, 07:43 AM
the 98 XJ I have has the 1.25" receiver. Yes, I would rather have a 2" receiver. Until the day that happens, I want what I have to be as strong as possible. I still pull my small utility trailer but don't max out the load. I recently bought a separate receiver and modified it so I could attach a tow strap to either enable someone to pull me out of a jam or so I could assist someone else. I also use a grade 8 bolt instead of the locking pin that comes with the receiver. The bottom line is know the limits of what you have, and make it as strong as possible until you are able to upgrade.

packmule1911
02-19-2015, 07:47 AM
This says it's for a 1.25 receiver. I'm assuming that's the actual size of the 1" receivers?

:link: (http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-Winch-Accessories/ATV-Steel-Receiver-Shackle-Kit.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=190&t_pt=8404&t_pn=WAR62041&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gp=1&gclid=CMKqzsDx7cMCFQeRaQodIbYAFQ)

Does it matter any that it's for an ATV? I wasn't sure, but that would work for the time being if it didn't.

cpttuna
02-19-2015, 08:08 AM
It's all about the rating. If you are going to pull or tow anything substantial, you need to upgrade. I have two other vehicles I use for heavier loads. Don't sacrifice when it comes to safety.