PDA

View Full Version : New Renegade

frankg813
02-18-2015, 11:20 AM
Hi,

I love the podcast...for a newbie like me, it's really been both informative and entertaining. I am on trying to break into the offroading scene, but as I learn more about this, I'm not sure that I want to go into it like you guys seem to be at - solid axles, bouldering, builds, re-builds etc. I don't have any 4 wheeling experience unless I can count waaayyyyy back in my earlier years when a buddy of mine took me trekking along the arrollos which are so plentiful around here. At the time he had an old Chevy Blazer that had 4 wheel drive. In any event, your offroading is a bit extreme for me - hey!! at least I can admit it. I wish there was a niche for 'casual offroading' - or whatever it's called for people like me that like to take our trucks off the main road for purposes of taking us closer to the hiking and mountain biking trailheads.

On a somewhat related topic, I'm assuming that your sentiments about Chryslers new direction as far as Jeep goes resonates with alot of your followers/listeners. Given that, showing up to a Jeep related event with a new Renegade or Cherokee might be a bit discomforting for fear that we would not be taken seriously. For those of us wanting to break into the scene this might seem a bit elitist - a bit harsh, I know, but I didn't know how else to phrase it. I understand your frustration in that it seems (take this from an outsiders point of view) like you want things built the old rugged way - or at least along the same standards as previous years, but I tend to compare it to when digital SLR cameras broke into the scene. Traditional SLR users resisted - but eventually adapted. Could the same be true here? Am I missing something? I probably am, so please enlighten me. If a Mini Cooper can win at Dakar, why can't a new Renegade?

From a, at this point a wannabee since I've not bought my new Renegade yet,

Frank

xj-jake
02-18-2015, 11:44 AM
Hi,

I love the podcast...for a newbie like me, it's really been both informative and entertaining. I am on trying to break into the offroading scene, but as I learn more about this, I'm not sure that I want to go into it like you guys seem to be at - solid axles, bouldering, builds, re-builds etc. I don't have any 4 wheeling experience unless I can count waaayyyyy back in my earlier years when a buddy of mine took me trekking along the arrollos which are so plentiful around here. At the time he had an old Chevy Blazer that had 4 wheel drive. In any event, your offroading is a bit extreme for me - hey!! at least I can admit it. I wish there was a niche for 'casual offroading' - or whatever it's called for people like me that like to take our trucks off the main road for purposes of taking us closer to the hiking and mountain biking trailheads.

On a somewhat related topic, I'm assuming that your sentiments about Chryslers new direction as far as Jeep goes resonates with alot of your followers/listeners. Given that, showing up to a Jeep related event with a new Renegade or Cherokee might be a bit discomforting for fear that we would not be taken seriously. For those of us wanting to break into the scene this might seem a bit elitist - a bit harsh, I know, but I didn't know how else to phrase it. I understand your frustration in that it seems (take this from an outsiders point of view) like you want things built the old rugged way - or at least along the same standards as previous years, but I tend to compare it to when digital SLR cameras broke into the scene. Traditional SLR users resisted - but eventually adapted. Could the same be true here? Am I missing something? I probably am, so please enlighten me. If a Mini Cooper can win at Dakar, why can't a new Renegade?

Frank

I think you have pretty much nailed it with your camera comparison Frank. Here's the thing, I despise how the new Cherokee looks. However; if I could stuff that interior into my XJ I'd be all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake. The "Jeep Community" is a whole different animal. XJ owners are ridiculed by JK owners and vice versa. There was even an article floating around a few months ago about a Jeep event where XJ owners were turned away from the charity event because they weren't driving Jks. (I may be paraphrasing)...

Go buy a Renegade, hell I'd be happy to sell you your Renegade. At the end of the day it really only matters that it has a 7 slot grill and has those 4 letters on the hood. Are you gonna catch a little guff about it? Maybe. Should you care about it? That's for you to decide. With that being said do you care what people think about what you drive? I'm really excited about the Renegade to show and I can't wait. It is a new market for Chrysler as a whole and it will only get better.

frankg813
02-18-2015, 11:53 AM
I'm with you on the new Cherokee looks.

Frank

Brasscatz
02-18-2015, 01:01 PM
I look at it like this. We here at xjtalk have our personal opinions about what we like and don't like. BUT! we will not give you crap about it personally. I own a Patriot (another of the "despised Jeeps") and the fellas here may rib me about it, but it's all in good fun. But xjtalk is a special site where we respect each other, even if we kid around. It was founded by Mudderoy (Tony on the xjtalk show) because he was tired of all the serious bashing on other forums. Most of us on here are tired of it as well, thus we're on here. So, if any of us on here rib you about it, please know that it is all in a brotherly, good-natured fashion and not malicious jeering like we may all experience elsewhere. We are glad you listen to the podcast and hope you continue to as well as come back in here often to join in on the chatting. Everybody is welcome here. I do think the new Renegade looks pretty cool and I hope you have much enjoyment from yours when you buy it.

4.3LXJ
02-18-2015, 01:01 PM
Hi,
I wish there was a niche for 'casual offroading' - or whatever it's called for people like me that like to take our trucks off the main road for purposes of taking us closer to the hiking and mountain biking trailheads.

Frank

Frank, I think you misunderstand something about our sport. Many of go to those places you mention. Not hard core, but places of interest. For instance here are a couple I have done.

Here is one you can do in a car of any make

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13702

Here is another done by stock rigs daily. This is right next to the Ishi Wilderness

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9525

We do it all. I think the point here is that while I like to go challenging places, I do not always do that. BUT, one thing you need to understand about the new Cherokee and Renegade, their off road prowess is overrated. The courses and photo ops all have one thing in common. The ground is relatively smooth. One thing not addressed by any of the forums so far that I have seen is that these new Jeeps ride rough. My wife would consider them uncomfortable and tell me to go get my XJ. In fact that happened last summer when we were looking for a place to camp in the Subaru. Newer rigs do well on the road, but just don't have the suspension travel to make them comfortable even on maintained gravel roads. You will feel every pebble.

Mudderoy
02-18-2015, 01:26 PM
Hi,

Frank

Frank the bottom line is if you buy a Renegade and later decide you want to do some off road things like the old Cherokees or Wranglers can do, you'll have to buy something else.

I think Jeep is doing a HUGE dis-service to people saying these things are off road vehicles. They are not and cannot be modified to be without spending some big bucks. They are LYING to the public to sell vehicles. It will only be a problem if you get into off road in more than just a mild trail.

That's what pisses me off most about these new Jeeps. Ultimately people will laugh at Jeep's claim of trail rated, rugged off road vehicles.

Josh and I are just ringing the warning bell for those listeners that might want to do off road in the future. Get a Wrangler, or find a Cherokee for $2000, put $5000 into it and you'd have something that would crawl over Renegades and 2014+ Cherokees.

Personally I'd buy something else (NEW) for my daily driver than a Jeep. A nice full size truck would make a great tow rig to drag your Cherokee back and forth to the trail. :D

prerunner1982
02-18-2015, 01:59 PM
The New Cherokee is adopted.... it looks nothing like a Jeep
The New Renegade is a step child... it at least looks related to Jeep.