PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Wyotonka!!!

BlueXJ
02-17-2015, 03:38 PM
Hi Wyotonka, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

Wyotonka
02-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Thanks! This forum has a bit of a different layout than I am used to... Ill figure it out eventually. I think I may just thread jack my welcome if that works.
I do not claim to be a mechanic, just a fast learning diy'er that is more willing to give it the college try than pay someone else.
The Ol XJ is new to me, not my first Jeep though. The previous owner of this thing did a number on it. I was told that someone had rebuilt the engine and never finished putting it back together and then he bought it and never did anything. I don't think that this is the case and I think I'm knee deep at this point. Luckily I wasn't banking on a daily driver when I got this, and really didn't spend much to get it. .
The OEM air intake is gone, replaced with a cold air intake cone. The main harness (with the injectors in it) that runs down the top of the block is cut off at the front of the engine :bang: and the EGR system is gone. I am not sure whether or not the egr was bypassed or if it was just yanked. The guy that I got it from said that it would run rough when he got it but he never drove it. We replaced the battery, Put a fuel filter in, (why it was gone is questionable) replaced injectors, replaced battery terminals, cleaned and reconnected any grounds we could find. Not knowing any history on this and not knowing what has been bypassed or just not hooked up we decided to give it a go. It turns over fine and seems to try to fire occasionally. It did fire once and ran for about 5 sec or so and backfired, died, and smoke came out of the intake. I have not given it a whole lot of time lately due to my house being on the market but driving it out of the garage sounds more appealing than towing it. I did find a replacement CPS in the center console (reading here it seems that one should always be there) which made me think I should check the one that is already on there. The harness that connects to the cps under the hood has 2 wires coming off of it and the 3rd place for a wire is broken/empty so I'll wind up replacing it when I figure out the updated one that doesn't pass through the big block on the firewall (Have heard about it just haven't found one).

4.3LXJ
02-17-2015, 04:46 PM
Sounds like you have done a lot of work on this and have some to go. You are right, a fresh CPS would be a good thing right now. Check that distributor timing too I think

And welcome to the forum

Wyotonka
02-18-2015, 12:39 PM
So where would a person find a stock air box? I think my main focus now is going to be replacing/rerouting/re-hookingup the vacuum lines. I think the EGR was bypassed judging by the fact that the valve (?) on the side of the block is rusted, crusty and the spot where the airline is supposed to attach to the front is rusted off. The 2 lines that are on the top of the block typically (don't know where these go or anything) aren't there, and in there place is a small silver cap with foam inside. I'll try and get pics of the engine bay tonight. A fair warning though... Judging by other underhood shots I have seen, this thing is naked and missing a lot of parts.

4.3LXJ
02-18-2015, 01:05 PM
The best place for stuff like that is usually the wrecking yard. A lot of people replace them, but throw them away quickly.

Wyotonka
02-18-2015, 02:33 PM
looks like road trip time... The local wreckers don't have anything "that old" or they just don't want to do anything. I have a parts Jeep (84) that I am in the process of buying from my dad, but the only thing that is going to be useful for the most part is the body parts since that is a V6. Thanks for the help.

XJ Wheeler
02-18-2015, 04:19 PM
Welcome to xjtalk! Sounds like you have a project on your hands. Best of luck getting it put back together and i agree with checking the timing.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

abebehrmann
02-19-2015, 03:49 PM
Welcome to the site. Post up some pics of the engine bay and we'll do our best to help you out as much as we can.