PDA

View Full Version : Center link movement

packmule1911
02-11-2015, 11:30 AM
I can grab the center link and rotate it fore and aft, which also makes the steering stabilizer move. Is this the way it should be?

The reason I ask is because I am hearing and feeling a knock when I turn the wheel. It occurs predominantly when I turn the wheel to the right.

Vehicle stationary: hand at 12, turn to the right, sound/feeling happens at 2 o'clock. This will happen at 12 when turning back to the left from 2.

Vehicle moving: same behavior as above, but there feels as though there is a small delay or lag when turning the wheel at slower speeds. The steering does not feel loose or sloppy.

packmule1911
02-13-2015, 08:42 AM
Not the center link. It's the track bar; specifically the balljoint that attaches to the frame.

xj-jake
02-13-2015, 08:57 AM
The track bar does move like that yes, it is normal. The clunk could be the just the normal movement however it is more likely that the sound is at the point where the track bar attaches to the axle. Make sure the hole isn't rounded out down there and make sure the bolt is tight.

packmule1911
02-13-2015, 09:12 AM
When I turned the wheel through the narrow easy range, the tech watched underneath. The balljoint was bouncing up and down at the frame mount end.

What do you do if the axle end is hollowed out?

xj-jake
02-13-2015, 09:21 AM
When I turned the wheel through the narrow easy range, the tech watched underneath. The balljoint was bouncing up and down on the other end.

On my first lift kit they required a new hole to be drilled in the same bracket. you could either do that or put a bushing of some sort in there. Ideally you could pick up and aftermarket track bar bracket and weld that to the axle.

4.3LXJ
02-13-2015, 10:25 AM
When I turned the wheel through the narrow easy range, the tech watched underneath. The balljoint was bouncing up and down at the frame mount end.

Can y ou weld?

packmule1911
02-13-2015, 10:52 AM
Can y ou weld?

Nope. Wanted to learn for a while now, but haven't been able to dedicate the time for a community college class and such.

4.3LXJ
02-13-2015, 10:54 AM
In that case, then drilling a new hole is the way to go. Drill the outside first, then insert the track bar and match the hole and insert the drill bit then finish drilling. Make sure the hole is tight on the bolt. No slop

XJ Wheeler
02-13-2015, 04:36 PM

If the frame end is going up and down it sounds like the end is worn out.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

packmule1911
02-18-2015, 10:56 AM
New track bar in place. That was super easy, and immediate noticeable improvement. My new favorite tool is the pickle fork!