PDA

View Full Version : Well I get to build another one......

bscg2000
02-10-2015, 07:51 PM
I was rear ended on December 26th 2014 while I was on the shoulder of the road making a right turn and my xj was totaled which I already knew since I rolled 3 times. It is now sitting in my driveway next to the garage as a parts jeep. Just picked up a 92 xj today with a 6 inch rough country lift, 33x12.5x15 federal couragia m/ts, 5 speed, 4.0 with an extra transfer case for $1,150 which is now sitting in the garage. My 2000 xj was full of my kids Christmas gifts and food because we were in the process of moving. I was actually turning onto the road we were moving to when I got hit. Not even 2 minutes from our new house. Mileage on the 92 is supposed to be 25k on motor and trans. Transfer case is unknown mileage which is ok since I have two others for it if it dies. But anyways I just wanted to share on the new to me xj. It needs some work but nothing major surprisingly. I'll post pictures when I figure out how to on my phone.

4.3LXJ
02-10-2015, 08:24 PM
Sorry to hear that man. I would hate it if my XJ got totaled.

Firemanray
02-10-2015, 09:57 PM
I'm glad you're ok. Providing you were justly compensated by an insurance company you're in a good position. Now you can have some fun building another Xj with plenty of parts readily available. Good luck, keep us posted.

bscg2000
02-10-2015, 10:37 PM
I hate it still and it sucks even more every time I leave the house because I took out a huge section of the hill across the road where I rolled and I have to see it every time we leave the house. And yeah I do get to have fun building another xj and I am ok I think. Been going to physical therapy twice a week for the last month. Haven't settled out with the insurance company yet though for my 00 and I got a lawyer because the guy who hit me was screwed up on pills so who knows when I will get a final settlement for anything at this point. I haven't worked since the day of the accident except for 3 days last week and my back couldn't handle it unfortunately

XJ Wheeler
02-10-2015, 10:47 PM
Man, that sucks! Sorry that happened but glad you're doing pretty good. I can relate to the back problems, we were rear ended when I was 13 and my back still gives me feedback sometimes. Hope that improves for ya though. As far as the jeep, I can't imagine totaling mine and hope the "new" one can fill the void. Good luck with the build and feel free to post here about it.

bscg2000
02-11-2015, 10:12 AM
Thanks Jake. Yeah the back problems definitely suck but I'm just glad I'm alive and I'm glad I didn't have anyone with me and that the wife and kids were a few minutes behind me instead of being directly behind me. I doubt it will fill todos spot mainly because that was my first xj and I built it from stock but it'll be good enough though. Good solid build to start on again lol

autotech98
02-11-2015, 10:49 AM
Sorry to hear that happened to you but glad you're OK

XJ Wheeler
02-11-2015, 04:10 PM
Thanks Jake. Yeah the back problems definitely suck but I'm just glad I'm alive and I'm glad I didn't have anyone with me and that the wife and kids were a few minutes behind me instead of being directly behind me. I doubt it will fill todos spot mainly because that was my first xj and I built it from stock but it'll be good enough though. Good solid build to start on again lol

Oh man, yeah i wouldn't want my family watching that either. But good thing they were close though. Once you get some time with it hopefully it'll find its place in your heart. I'm very sentimental to mine as well.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bscg2000
02-11-2015, 09:30 PM
They didn't see it happen thankfully but they got there right after the first cop got there. I think it did more emotional damage to my 6 year old son than it did me. He loved my xj too. Many hours he spent helping me work on it and playing in the snow and wheeling it. He loved it too. My daughter is still too little to realize what happened though which is a plus. It is starting to find a place now. It has taken up my half of the garage lol

Firemanray
02-11-2015, 09:45 PM
I just came back to this and caught up on the posts. Man I hate to hear your having so much problem with your back. That can be a debilitating injury. Keep you head up and work hard on the treatments/ therapies, the back has an amazing ability to heal, I can attest to that. I'll not clutter up your thread with the boring details.

Working on your Xj will be good therapy for the mind and spirit, enjoy the new build.

XJ Wheeler
02-12-2015, 02:32 AM
They didn't see it happen thankfully but they got there right after the first cop got there. I think it did more emotional damage to my 6 year old son than it did me. He loved my xj too. Many hours he spent helping me work on it and playing in the snow and wheeling it. He loved it too. My daughter is still too little to realize what happened though which is a plus. It is starting to find a place now. It has taken up my half of the garage lol

Poor little guy. Hopefully that new one will keep him busy. Good thing they tend to move on quickly.

bluedragon436
02-12-2015, 02:57 AM
Sorry to hear about the back injury.. Glad to hear you have found what seems like a very clean XJ to build your new XJ off of... Look forward to seeing the pics of progress for that build, and am sure that your little guy will be more than happy to help you out on this build as well... Hope you are able to get a settlement of some sort out of the guy who hit you soon...

bscg2000
02-12-2015, 07:29 AM
Poor little guy. Hopefully that new one will keep him busy. Good thing they tend to move on quickly.
__________________. hopefully I did the quote right. First time I have done it. He has already started helping me on it. It was interesting to watch him trying to roll 33's across the garage lol

Sorry to hear about the back injury.. Glad to hear you have found what seems like a very clean XJ to build your new XJ off of... Look forward to seeing the pics of progress for that build, and am sure that your little guy will be more than happy to help you out on this build as well... Hope you are able to get a settlement of some sort out of the guy who hit you soon...
I'm alright I guess. Just glad I am still here to build another one. If I could figure out how to post pictures off of my phone on here then I could put a few pictures up now. And yeah he gave me a hand yesterday afternoon with switching rims n tires out and asking how EVERYTHING worked lol. It worked out though since it kept him out of the wifes hair long enough so she could do what she had to do too. As far as settlement goes, hopefully soon but doubtful though the way things are going unfortunately.....

bscg2000
02-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Well I didn't do the quote right. But anyways, what would be the best transmission mount to use for a ax15?

XJ Wheeler
02-12-2015, 05:58 PM
To my knowledge the only option is a stock replacement mount. Although i don't know as much about the manual as i have an auto.
As far as posting pics this thread should help. http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=174

Also, you can get the "Tapatalk" app that lets you post a pic. You're suppose to be able to post a few but mine only does one.

bscg2000
02-12-2015, 08:27 PM
I found this one here http://www.rustysoffroad.com/daystar-polyurethane-transmission-mount-84-01-jeep-xj-1.html

Any input on daystar products?
And I'll look into the app and the link. Thank you.

4.3LXJ
02-12-2015, 08:29 PM
They make decent stuff. I have used several of their products. No complaints

XJ Wheeler
02-12-2015, 08:58 PM
I found this one here http://www.rustysoffroad.com/daystar-polyurethane-transmission-mount-84-01-jeep-xj-1.html

Any input on daystar products?
And I'll look into the app and the link. Thank you.

One thing i question about it is it doesn't specify what drivetrain it fits other than not with the peugoet trans. But as far as daystar i only have experience with their extended front bumpstops and they seem fine. I haven't had them long but no problems so far.

bscg2000
02-12-2015, 09:41 PM
I have to download taptalk. Apparently"my browser does not support picture uploads". Stupid windows phone. Alright I'll keep looking around for prices on the mounts then. Thank you

bscg2000
02-12-2015, 09:42 PM
Found this one here. Any input on daystar products?

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/daystar-polyurethane-transmission-mount-84-01-jeep-xj-1.html

bscg2000
02-12-2015, 10:03 PM
Downloaded taptalk. Now gotta figure this out lol. Sorry for posting the link for the mount twice. When I looked earlier, the first post never showed up.

bscg2000
02-12-2015, 10:06 PM
This is the day of the accident

4.3LXJ
02-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Man you are lucky you came out of that alive

bscg2000
02-12-2015, 10:09 PM
Day of the accident continued

bscg2000
02-12-2015, 10:12 PM
Yes I am very lucky. I didn't break anything either. I got myself out of the jeep as soon as it stopped rolling, reached back inside and threw it in park and shut the key off to kill power to everything hoping it wouldn't blow up and started pulling my kids presents out of there.

bscg2000
02-12-2015, 10:13 PM
If he would have hit me doing another 5mph faster I would have been dead. The gas tank is pinched between the rear bumper and rear diff. It started to crack it but never split all the way through thank god

bscg2000
02-12-2015, 10:15 PM
This was it in November with my daughter and my wife in the passenger seat at my grandparents farm.

bscg2000
02-12-2015, 10:17 PM
And the new rig! Got it up and running today

bscg2000
02-12-2015, 11:44 PM
Will all the fender bolts interchange from my 00 to my 92? Along with the 4 bolts that hold the front ds in? And what's the easiest way to replace the whole rear window wiper arm? Mine is broke on the 92 and the 00 doesn't exactly have one anymore

XJ Wheeler
02-13-2015, 05:04 AM
Phew! I don't blame you for not wanting to re-live that every time you go by there. Looks like you definitely were blessed big time. With that tank and roof collapsing. Makes me think fuel tank skids and cages should be standard equipment.

Poorboy
02-13-2015, 06:33 AM
I'd cage the new one. When I get to building my '96, it'll be caged. I've already got the tank skid and hitch back there to prevent tank damage. Glad you're still worth us, not many make it through that alive.

bscg2000
02-13-2015, 11:13 AM
Honestly I think the only thing that saved me was the hitch and reinforced aftermarket bumper. No gas tank skid though. I was planning on caging my 00. But the 92 is definitely getting caged as soon as I get it together. And yes I am most definitely blessed and so is my family. I'm very glad to be here still.

bscg2000
02-13-2015, 11:13 AM
The wife didn't want me to spend the extra money at the time to cage it but now she is completely on board with it for the 92

bluedragon436
02-13-2015, 11:22 AM
The wife didn't want me to spend the extra money at the time to cage it but now she is completely on board with it for the 92

Are you going to cage it yourself or have a shop do it?? I've been thinking about doing a cage once I get other items taken care of with the 97 I have now.. Been looking at a few shops over in MD as well as up in PA that do cages.. and since I don't know how to fab or weld... I'll leave my life in other's much more knowledgable hands...

bscg2000
02-13-2015, 02:55 PM
I wish I could do the cage myself James but I have no welding experience or any fab experience either. So I'm in the same boat as you are with that one unfortunately. I'm going to have a buddy of mine cut the floors out of my 00 and the 92 and weld the ones from my 00 into my 92 but he isn't comfortable doing the cage though unfortunately but I am glad he's up front about it and admits he can't do the cage instead of attempting it and it not holding at all

4.3LXJ
02-13-2015, 03:09 PM
There are bolt in options. Not cheap, but certainly doable

bscg2000
02-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Oh boy. I'm gonna have to look into them Steve. Are they cheaper than having a shop do one as a general rule or more expensive?

4.3LXJ
02-13-2015, 07:13 PM
Here is one I have seen

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/rock-hard-ultimate-sports-cage-jeep-cherokee-19841996-p-6329.html

bscg2000
02-13-2015, 07:46 PM
I like it. Are there any external bolt on cages that you know of Steve?

4.3LXJ
02-13-2015, 07:48 PM
Not that I know of. Everyone just bends up their own. IIRC BDS I think has those bolt on fittings for the internal cage if you want to try your hand

bscg2000
02-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Dont have a tube bender or any fab experience at all for that matter unfortunately or I would. I'm thinking about just having a shop do it when the time comes.

bscg2000
02-14-2015, 10:42 AM
If it was all pre bent and all I had to do was bolt it together then I would go for it

4.3LXJ
02-14-2015, 10:47 AM
Having a shop do it could get very expensive

XJ Wheeler
02-14-2015, 03:17 PM
One thing i like to do when something is beyond my skills is buy the tools and learn how to instead of paying someone to do it. I've gotten all kinds of tools from doing this. For the amount a shop would charge you could probably get a cheap bender, decent welder, and take a class on welding. And then you have that skill and tools to save you on later mods.

bscg2000
02-14-2015, 04:36 PM
You have a very valid point Steve. I might just do that Jake. I just have to learn how to weld and use a tube bender. I know a few people who could teach me to weld.

XJ Wheeler
02-14-2015, 05:39 PM
You have a very valid point Steve. I might just do that Jake. I just have to learn how to weld and use a tube bender. I know a few people who could teach me to weld.

Figured another point of view might help. I want to learn this stuff anyway so when the opportunity arises why not take advantage.

bscg2000
02-14-2015, 06:35 PM
I have always wanted to learn to weld but didn't care as much about the tube bending but it may be a very useful skill though

autotech98
02-14-2015, 07:58 PM
I have seen bolt in cagez on the net for like 500 also in 4 wheel parts catalog

XJ Wheeler
02-14-2015, 08:53 PM
I have always wanted to learn to weld but didn't care as much about the tube bending but it may be a very useful skill though

Oh yeah, cages, bumpers, racks, etc. Its endless if your creativity takes over. I really want a bender so i can make all kinds of stuff but that'll have to come when the money does. :rolleyes:

bscg2000
02-14-2015, 11:14 PM
It would be awesome to be able to do all that. I've wanted to get a roof rack for awhile but didn't wanna spend the $ on it. I'm liking the idea of learning to weld and bend tubing even more now. The wife may actually agree with it too since it'll save money over time too

XJ Wheeler
02-15-2015, 03:42 AM
It would be awesome to be able to do all that. I've wanted to get a roof rack for awhile but didn't wanna spend the $ on it. I'm liking the idea of learning to weld and bend tubing even more now. The wife may actually agree with it too since it'll save money over time too

:thumbsup: Exactly! :D

OldFaurt
02-15-2015, 08:08 AM
Here is one I have seen

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/rock-hard-ultimate-sports-cage-jeep-cherokee-19841996-p-6329.html

Do they have a product with cross bracing? That cage in a slow speed roll-over would do ok,
but if you rolled hard, it could crush in.
Of course, it would be easy to weld in a cross brace with quick releases so
you could use the full advantage of the back cargo area.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0SO80gjp.BUTD8AgatXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBy NWU4cGh1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Removable+Roll-cage+Sections&fr=yfp-t-252

Theses would also allow you to put in a tighter cage (Closer to the walls, ceiling).
That would make them less intrusive as well. I would love to cage my animal...
But I have to improve my welding skills first... sigh!

OldFaurt
02-15-2015, 08:46 AM

Here is a nice, inexpensive bender I have used that will give you kink free bends.
Order the machine with the die size you need, it comes with 1 set!
Then add dies for other sizes as you need them!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Affordable-Bender-Roll-Cage-Tube-Bender-1-1-2-tacoma-preruner-baja-crawler-/331466194957

I have no connection to that company, I just have experience with the bender!

4.3LXJ
02-15-2015, 10:21 AM
Do they have a product with cross bracing? That cage in a slow speed roll-over would do ok,
but if you rolled hard, it could crush in.
Of course, it would be easy to weld in a cross brace with quick releases so
you could use the full advantage of the back cargo area.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0SO80gjp.BUTD8AgatXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBy NWU4cGh1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Removable+Roll-cage+Sections&fr=yfp-t-252

Theses would also allow you to put in a tighter cage (Closer to the walls, ceiling).
That would make them less intrusive as well. I would love to cage my animal...
But I have to improve my welding skills first... sigh!

Actually, you would be surprised how much a simple cage will take. Most cages in buggies these days are over kill for safety, and meant to take repeated roll overs without budging. They have sort of set the standard. I have seen a simple cage in a CJ take a 50 mph endo without bending

denverd1
02-15-2015, 10:44 AM
Essentially offroad sells a prebent and precut cage in either 2 or 4 door sizes. It comes with main hoops, spreaders and backing plates for floor.

No exo cage in a box I have found. I'd rather do an exo. At 6'2" an exo would be ideal. The bumps on my head before I learned where not to put my melon would be a painful experience.

They are weld in. The group4x4 buy stuff is bolt in, but be careful with those kits. Bad reviews on Amazon on a couple that were misrepresented on the net.

I'm gonna burn stiffeners and sliders on first to get a few hours under the belt and get ready for the stuff that matters.

bscg2000
02-15-2015, 11:20 AM
I appreciate all the input a lot i really do but I think im gonna buy a welder and bender and learn to weld and bend myself to wind up saving money in the long run for future projects. Next question, this port here on the 231 t case, what is it for? To check the fluid? I have never messed with a t case in an xj. Just older fords. Mine is completely hooked up in my 92 except for that one port there. The t case shown is a spare that I have.

bscg2000
02-15-2015, 11:21 AM
And yeah an exo cage would be better for me too I think because of my height. Im 6 ft and I hit my head on the roof all the time in my 00.

denverd1
02-15-2015, 05:10 PM
I'm trying to talk myself into a bender and notcher. Just don't have room for it

bscg2000
02-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Just looked at the bender Bob, I think I may buy it later. It seems to be a good bender from what I have read about it and reviews I have found. I need to find a decent welder. And have my buddy teach me how to weld

bscg2000
02-15-2015, 07:15 PM
Anyone on here know about welders? Found this one here and I think it would be good enough to do what I want with after I learn to weld. My main things I would be welding is floor panels, fabricating bumpers and roof racks and a cage for my jeep and if all goes well then maybe for a couple friends of mine too.

Pro-Grade Ultra-Portable 100-Amp Electric Arc Welder - 110V:Amazon:Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41f7x4M-jWL.@@AMEPARAM@@41f7x4M-jWL

4.3LXJ
02-15-2015, 07:17 PM
That one will be too light for what you want. You need at least a 140 amp MIG instead of a very light stick welder which will be harder to use

bscg2000
02-15-2015, 08:43 PM
So this one should do fine? I know its from hf and a lot of people dont like thier tools but I have no complaints on any of them. I have the 21 gallon air compressor and it runs my 1/2 inch Ingersoll rand impact gun very well which I have no complaints on the impact gun either by the way. Definitely the best one I have had. Hell, half my tools are from hf and hold up better than my snap on and blue points and are a heck of a lot cheaper.

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/mig-flux-welders/170-amp-dc-240-volt-migflux-cored-welder-68885.html

4.3LXJ
02-15-2015, 09:31 PM
You got 240 volts to plug it into?

bscg2000
02-15-2015, 10:07 PM
Not at my house but I do at my grandfathers shop where we work on all our equipment. The skidloader, chipper, trucks, bucket truck, all that good stuff. Which is only 5 minutes from my house.

4.3LXJ
02-15-2015, 10:43 PM
OK. Then that will work. Make sure you get shield gas so you can use it as a MIG. On the pod casts, I have five or six tips on welding and how to make good welds you might want to listen to

bscg2000
02-17-2015, 09:11 AM
Alright thanks Steve. I'll definitely be checking out those pod casts too