PDA

View Full Version : Need help upgrading

my96jeepxj
02-08-2015, 11:20 PM
hello everyone, I am new to this forum so any help and comments will be greatly appreciated! the thing I need help with is knowing what all I need to lift my Cherokee more. I currently have a 96 jeep Cherokee xj 103,000 miles, with a 3 inch lift on 33's. stock axles. now obviously when im going through the trails I tent to rub quite a bit in my fenders, that's why im wanting to upgrade to a 6.5 inch lift. I just need to know what is involved when lifting that high. ex: lift kit, slip yoke eliminator, new front and rear drive shafts, extended brake lines, transfer case drop?... is there anything else that's required? please help!!

bluedragon436
02-09-2015, 12:18 AM
Pick up a new 6.5" lift kit, I would recommend an SYE, although some people have been able to get by with a TC drop and stock rear driveshaft ( I did it with my 98 for 3.5 years w/ 7+" of lift) and you can either order a new aftermarket driveshaft, or can pick up another stock front shaft from a JY and usually they will work, if nothing else to get you going till you can pick up another aftermarket one (but would recommend picking a stock front shaft up and giving that a try first and flex your suspension out a bit and see if it'll still have plenty of engagement or if it'll come apart, and if it does come apart then measure out and order up a shaft from one of the many great aftermarket companies out there).. but most folks that I've seen running 6.5" setups have been able to run a standard SYE w/ a front shaft in the rear and had no problems.. Most 6.5" lift kits will come with the extended brake lines so that'll take care of that, and some of them even come with front sway bar disconnects.. I'm just about to upgrade my 97 from a 3.5-4" lift to an IRO 6.5" Long Arm lift, and can't wait to get the higher altitude again...

4.3LXJ
02-09-2015, 11:09 AM
Front drive shaft you will not need, but new track bar is in order. Also at that height to get it to work well you will need to get some long arms or a front drop bracket. 6.5" is as high as you can go without steering upgrades

denverd1
02-10-2015, 10:09 PM
I'm working toward 6.5" as well! I never extended my brake lines, just unhooked the hold downs and let them hang. I'm shimming the rear axle to keep rear driveline angles solid.
I have an SYE already installed.
will have to get new track bar and extended bracket to keep steering geometry in range. already have a dropped pitman arm from working on the steering gear side of things.

XJ Wheeler
02-10-2015, 11:46 PM
I'm working toward 6.5" as well! I never extended my brake lines, just unhooked the hold downs and let them hang. I'm shimming the rear axle to keep rear driveline angles solid.
I have an SYE already installed.
will have to get new track bar and extended bracket to keep steering geometry in range. already have a dropped pitman arm from working on the steering gear side of things.

Careful with those brake lines. The shop that put my lift on way back when did that cause the couldn't get the hoses loose. Didn't take long and they were weak. When the time came to replace the hoses the passenger line snapped. Had to replace it. The line isn't meant to move constantly like the hose so bending it can cause it to break and rubbing around the hole where it goes through the fender doesn't help.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bluedragon436
02-12-2015, 03:29 AM
Careful with those brake lines. The shop that put my lift on way back when did that cause the couldn't get the hoses loose. Didn't take long and they were weak. When the time came to replace the hoses the passenger line snapped. Had to replace it. The line isn't meant to move constantly like the hose so bending it can cause it to break and rubbing around the hole where it goes through the fender doesn't help.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

You can pick up new extended lines far cheaper than a new XJ, raised insurance from when the lines blow out and you crash... Not to mention it'd be far cheaper to just install the proper extended lines and not have to install or have installed new hard lines... those things are certainly not cheap at all, especially if you have to pay someone to install them... Always good to make sure you go with the proper parts where you can, the first time around, will save you more in the long run..

denverd1
02-12-2015, 11:20 AM
yep. ordering those lines right now.