PDA

View Full Version : Worked on the rear end.

cmoores47
02-06-2015, 05:36 PM
Hey all,
I thought my rear end was toast as it howls. I pulled the cover and black stinky sludge came pouring out. I put a magnet in it and no metal? Oh well I guess they howl. I attached a picture of the gear box, I think its an open differential from what I have read. Any suggestions? I recently installed a cb and can transmit out but I hear guys from the Carolinas here in so cal. Well guess I will work some more. thanks all the helpful information!

4.3LXJ
02-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Yes, open diff. Those gears look a little rough. Probably why it howls. You might try some black power punch in the oil. May quiet it down a little

Carves
02-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Yes, open diff. Those gears look a little rough. Probably why it howls. You might try some black power punch in the oil. May quiet it down a little

I thought fine sawdust and banana peel was the american fix for noisy diffs :confused::confused:

drakan1908
02-07-2015, 08:59 AM
I thought fine sawdust and banana peel was the american fix for noisy diffs :confused::confused:
Only if you're selling it. :D

cmoores47
02-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Thanks guys! I was so careful not to get a speck of anything in the gears while changing oil so I will pass on the banana peel and saw dust. It really quieted down after oil change.
I wont be selling this jeep as I sold my 99' to help my son in college. Thanks again!

4.3LXJ
02-07-2015, 10:11 AM

Only until it gets off the car lot :P