PDA

View Full Version : Thursday morning whaos

rabies
02-05-2015, 10:11 AM
well, its been fun guys. ...:patriot:

on the way to work, halfway there. "CHECK GUAGES"

overheated..all the way :confused:

shut off. pull over. get out. spy coolant gushing everywhere.
thermostat stuck. let it sit for a minute let the hot exisiting coolant pop thermostat.

opens. starts fine. holds temp at 215.
I get just about at the turn to go over the bridge at a red light, slowing down to a stop, ROD KNOCK. wants to die and shut off. i keep the revs up run the light. i get to the gate for work and its dense traffic...

jeep dies :banghead: right at the intersection.
get out. push it over to the side. try to start. cranks and weak.
got it rollling. gas pedal and cranking it finally starts and it sounds so bad.
i decide to go over the other bridge im facing to at least get it to my moms.
i get it almost there and it runs out of power and makes a final clank clank clank.............................YAY!!!! happy thursday

abebehrmann
02-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Dammit, I'm sorry man.

TallGuyJeep
02-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Dude that sucks. I guess now you have an excuse to go V8 though...

autotech98
02-05-2015, 11:41 AM
I hate that sound! Sorry to hear that dude

rabies
02-05-2015, 12:08 PM
local junkyards usualy have an xj or zj sitting around. motors are about $200-300
but at -5* outside nothing will be done...
funny that as soon as it died i ran out of propaine and my space heater cut off. if it wasnt so cold out i wouldnt cry as hard most likely.

4.3LXJ
02-05-2015, 12:40 PM
Man, that is a tough break.

NW99XJ
02-05-2015, 12:42 PM
LAAAME!
Well that sucks more than... some great big sucking thing.
Do you have the means to DO a motor swap?
I'll be sure to tell the story of your woes tonight on the Podcast... get some positive thoughts headin your way.
Dont give up man... its not the end of the world... something very similar happened to Tony.. and he's still driving his around.
Everything happens for a reason... you never know ... a stroker may fall out of the sky and land on your lap.
(of course that would probably crush your legs)
... but HEY!... at least the jeep would get a new motor!
See?!?!?... happy ending! :D

rabies
02-05-2015, 01:09 PM
if i get another motor i could swap it from underneath in my garage. i sold my cherry picker. the problem is that my back needs another surgery. i threw in the towel fixing cars but now im forced to. shouldnt be too hard though il just it over time maybe a span of 2 weeks. little bit at a time.
if they would just move the nerves off my l4 disc i would be a beast and swap it in one day like i used to do. anyone by chance know the estimate on a valve job on a 4.0 head? i could just rebuild what i have(another option) but would take longer and be more expensive

xj-jake
02-05-2015, 01:18 PM
I'd think you should be able to get a valve job done from 3-400. Sucky deal my friend I feel for you. You guys just got a bunch of snow down there too didn't you?

rabies
02-05-2015, 01:28 PM
ya. on sunday-monday dropped 14" then the other day about 1inch.
im still gratefull i have a job and i dont have to live out on the streets in this weather

denverd1
02-05-2015, 01:49 PM
agree valve job and decking the head (it did overheat ya know) should be 3-4 notes

4.0s should be readily available. no young chap to help you swap it in? maybe an Illinois high school metal shop project?

rabies
02-05-2015, 02:08 PM
lol nope. no friends. found one on craigslist for $250 if i pull it from the wrecked jeep. the pics shows it sitting in a shop with plenty of room. meaning he might let me use his tools and shop to do so. just need to come up with the $ and a bottle of vicadin :D

prcjeep
02-05-2015, 02:24 PM
Sorry to hear this, I've been there, twice.

bluedragon436
02-05-2015, 03:52 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad luck... Hope you're able to work something out with the guy selling the engine, and maybe he'll even chip in and help you pull it.. I've done the 4.0 swap on a co-workers XJ (which is now the 90 I have sitting in storage).. and I was hoping to never have to do it again..

XJ Wheeler
02-05-2015, 11:47 PM
Ah man, that sucks! Hope it works out.

NW99XJ
02-06-2015, 09:24 AM
....the problem is that my back needs another surgery.....
if they would just move the nerves off my l4 disc i would be a beast and swap it in one day like i used to do.
Ohhhh... Been there, done that!
In 2008 I had micro disc dissection and dual lamenectomy done on my L4/L5 & L5/S1... The Neuro Surgeon said he was scraping scar tissue from my spinal chord for 30 minutes, just to clean things up. Took me a couple weeks of bed rest, and verry little mobility, then 6 weeks of intensive physical therapy to get back to what I would consider 85% of normal.
I still get some sciatica every now and again, but at least I can move furniture, and still work on the Jeep.
I feel your pain Jesse... literally.
Hope things work out man... somehow with Jeeps... they usually do.

autotech98
02-27-2015, 01:04 AM
Any luck finding a motor?

rabies
03-02-2015, 10:31 AM
no luck. other than $400 on ebay for an oil soaked one with 200k miles on it

bluedragon436
03-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Yeah picking up one with 200k isn't really worth it... especially after you pay for shipping.. cause then you'll need to do a rebuild on it before installing it... or it might just be biting the dust shortly after doing all that work... I'm about to start rebuilding the 200k motor I have as a spare, so it'll be ready to swap into my 97, hopefully before it is required to be done...

autotech98
03-02-2015, 01:35 PM
If you look up rodneys jeep parts here in pa he should have a decent one although dont know about shipping etc.

rabies
03-11-2015, 08:17 AM
been sitting in the driveway...just an rash idea to go start it to see what it does.

it started fine and there was no knocking...idk what happened.
however. i did put my hand on the jeep and ask God to fix it. :pray:
iv changed the oil and put some miles on it...seems like nothing is wrong with it now :D
YEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!:bacondance: :smiley-dance015:

Mudderoy
03-11-2015, 08:56 AM
been sitting in the driveway...just an rash idea to go start it to see what it does.

it started fine and there was no knocking...idk what happened.
however. i did put my hand on the jeep and ask God to fix it. :pray:
iv changed the oil and put some miles on it...seems like nothing is wrong with it now :D
YEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!:bacondance: :smiley-dance015:

You know if you took the spark plugs out, dropped the pan, it would be pretty easy to change those rod bearings. Plus you'd probably find out what the noise is.

rabies
03-11-2015, 08:59 AM
theres no rattling and knocking now though :)
i put in new plugs about 5k miles ago.
i really do need a new oil pan though its pretty rusty.
il swap out rear main. highflow oilpump. new oil pan and gasket in the springtime when i get some extra time and money

autotech98
03-11-2015, 09:23 AM
Glad to hear it man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547

XJ Wheeler
03-11-2015, 02:18 PM
Cool! Might as well run it and see how it does.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.