PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Poorboy!!!

4.3LXJ
02-04-2015, 05:54 PM
Hi Poorboy, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

Poorboy
02-04-2015, 06:02 PM
Good morning! I found the forums and website through BleepinJeeps youtube channel!

I do in fact own an XJ, my second one actually. My current one is a Creampuff. 1996 Model year. It will be modified, I guarantee you that! The build theme you ask? Overland Adventure Vehicle. Nothing radical as I do need it as a DD. Something nicely functional as a dual purpose rig.

My first XJ was a 1987 2 Door. It left my possession in FAR better condition than when I got it. It came from the U.S. National Park Service, then sold at auction to the civilian world where two previous owners molested it by swapping on an AW4 and hacking the wire harness to bits...

the current XJ:
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii102/poorboy_616/New%20Jeep/DSC_00311_zps152947a0.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/poorboy_616/media/New%20Jeep/DSC_00311_zps152947a0.jpg.html)

My previous XJ:
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii102/poorboy_616/Random%20Jeep%20pics/100_2349.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/poorboy_616/media/Random%20Jeep%20pics/100_2349.jpg.html)

prerunner1982
02-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Welcome from Oklahoma. Glad you found us.

4.3LXJ
02-04-2015, 07:07 PM
I sense a nice build coming

Poorboy
02-04-2015, 07:39 PM
I sense a nice build coming

It will be. The XJ needs some TLC, but once that is done, the build is on like Donkey Kong!

Welcome from Oklahoma. Glad you found us.

Thank you!

abebehrmann
02-05-2015, 11:06 AM
Welcome to the site. Nice looking XJ you have there. Love BleepinJeep and XJTalk too. Check out the XJTalk podcast if you're into that sort of thing, I'm usually not up that hour but they livestream the podcast on Youtube every Thursday at 10pm central time.

autotech98
02-05-2015, 04:26 PM
Welcome from pa sir!

NW99XJ
02-05-2015, 04:47 PM
Welcome to XJT ....from right across the river!
Howdy Neighbor!
Glad to see you found us...
You should find a TON of interest in an expedition build here...
And of course a lot of advice and help too.

XJ Wheeler
02-06-2015, 02:47 AM
Love the inventiveness of an overlander. I generally like being prepared so I figure this build is right up my alley. Welcome to xjtalk and feel free to make yourself at home. If you want to, start a build thread to keep all your efforts in one place.

Poorboy
02-06-2015, 03:31 AM
Build thread will start as soon as I start building. This thing needs some tlc first. Mainly getting it so it stops hemorrhaging coolant at random.... Hoses replaced, heater diverter replaced... Now the radiator leaks. Where does it stop?

XJ Wheeler
02-06-2015, 03:43 AM
It never stops... n.e.v.e.r.

Poorboy
02-06-2015, 03:46 AM
This is xj number two for me... It never stopped with the first one either. I wish I'd kept the d44 from the 2dr.... Could use right now. Trac-loc, heavily modified with extra friction disc and steels... Closer to a full locker, than an ls.....

Poorboy
02-14-2015, 02:00 AM
Part of me wonders how much abuse the 8.25" rear end will take.... I know the d44 was a stout unit.

bluedragon436
02-14-2015, 02:02 AM
:welcome: to :xjtalk1: from Delaware!! Look forward to seeing the build.. Overland vehicles are very nice setups..

Poorboy
02-14-2015, 02:06 AM
I'll post some pictures of its current progress in the morning. There isn't much, actually, no real progress with the build. Audio system upgrade, new heater hoses and diverter valve, soon to be new radiator. All the stuff to make it right, before making it my style of right.

bluedragon436
02-14-2015, 02:20 AM
I'll post some pictures of its current progress in the morning. There isn't much, actually, no real progress with the build. Audio system upgrade, new heater hoses and diverter valve, soon to be new radiator. All the stuff to make it right, before making it my style of right.

Doing the same thing with my XJ... making sure it is sound and good to go before I really start doing much upgrade wise... Always good to make sure you'll be able to enjoy it once you put the money into it to build it up...

Poorboy
02-14-2015, 02:59 AM
Doing the same thing with my XJ... making sure it is sound and good to go before I really start doing much upgrade wise... Always good to make sure you'll be able to enjoy it once you put the money into it to build it up...
Exactly! I don't have to replace rotted floors on this one, or headliner. The engine on this one is in way better condition than my '87 ever dreamed of being. It holds oil (mostly), but not coolant. Frustrating.

4.3LXJ
02-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Part of me wonders how much abuse the 8.25" rear end will take.... I know the d44 was a stout unit.

The 8.25 with 29 spline axles is generally a good stout rear end

Poorboy
02-15-2015, 07:30 AM
Good info to know on that rear end.

I didn't get pictures of it's current state yet. :banghead: Whatever horrible Virus is going around, caught up to me. :sick0026: The last week has been a combo of Dayquil and going to work mixed with extended :indifferent0020:

I managed to get the CD changer out of the cargo bay and get my aftermarket head unit a couple weeks ago. It's nice having tunes again! The holes for the CD changer mounts (threads sealed with silicone), worked perfectly to screw down the plastic tub where the spare fluids are stored. Then my travel tool kit is strapped to that with a ratchet strap. Win, Win, win! Storage, tools and load hold down all in one. :bacondance:

Took the door panel off the driver door to repair the lock solenoid, only to find that the rivets are failing that hold the solenoid to the door. Next week it'll be drill out the rivets, lube the solenoid and bolt it back in. The rinse and repeat for the other doors. :thumbdown:

My local used tire shop has a factory spare rim/tire that I will be picking up, I'll have to pick up the hardware from the local HW store. I want to kick who ever didn't put the spare and it's hardware back in before selling the rig.... :banghead:

Also have a line on getting a replacement keyless entry module and cover plate, though useless, I still want to cover the hole in the headliner... The IR system is useless. Pointless even. I will have an aftermarket system put in eventually. One, for the convenience of keyless entry (might even spring for remote start), two for insurance discount.

CB Radio is now in as well. The antenna/cable needs a ton of work as the SWR is far too high. But it is workable. :smiley-gen123:

As previously mentioned, radiator still needs to be swapped because of a pinhole. My local Radiator shop can re-core it, even upgrade it from the two row, to a four row while they are at it. Copper/Brass OE Rads FTW! Try that with your modern plastic crap! :smiley-scared003:

Also while I was in there, I took a look at the E-brake switch, since the light don't light.... I need to pull the console and clean the accumulated goo out of the switch.

Not much in the way of visible progress, but little things that just make it feel better. Like I said before, Making it "right".

Poorboy
02-15-2015, 07:43 AM
Welcome to XJT ....from right across the river!
Howdy Neighbor!
Glad to see you found us...
You should find a TON of interest in an expedition build here...
And of course a lot of advice and help too.

Whereabouts are you located? I work in Portland, but live in Vantucky.

autotech98
02-15-2015, 08:02 AM
Sounds like some great progress man

Poorboy
02-15-2015, 08:05 AM
Sounds like some great progress man

Thank you sir!

It's all little stuff, but man does it make a difference!

I've started a build thread in the My builds section since the intro thread is heading the way of building now.

autotech98
02-15-2015, 08:08 AM
Doesnt matter how big or small the job ad long ad it makes you happy and you are enjoying it that is what matters !

Poorboy
02-15-2015, 08:11 AM
Doesnt matter how big or small the job ad long ad it makes you happy and you are enjoying it that is what matters !

Ain't that the truth!