PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Body Spacer - reset anything?

packmule1911
02-03-2015, 01:23 PM
I had $40 of my "allowance" left over so I bought a Rugged Ridge throttle body spacer. It was fun to put in, the Cherokee sounds cooler, it was only $40, and it seems to have a bit more low-end umph.

When you make a change like this, is it important or necessary to reset the computer to learn the new airflow? Anything else that that should be done?

Since doing this, the transmission takes noticeably longer to shift out of first when accelerating.

Coincidence, and I have a transmission problem now, or are things on the vehicle now confused and no longer know each other that well?

prerunner1982
02-03-2015, 01:53 PM
The spacer doesn't necessarily provide additional air flow so I would not think the computer would need to be reset.

The spacer just provides a littler further for the air to travel, but not additional air.

Brasscatz
02-03-2015, 02:09 PM
You can always reset the computer for poops and giggles to see if that does anything. disconnect the battery for a while, touch the 2 cables together while still disconnected to fully discharge the system and hook her back up.

what tranny problems are you having? Not shifting at the normal RPMs? If so, you might need to reset your kickdown cable. could've come out of adjustment when you did the tb spacer because iirc the adjuster is right there by the TB

packmule1911
02-03-2015, 03:01 PM
The spacer just provides a littler further for the air to travel, but not additional air.

Yeah, I just meant that the behavior of the air might have changed due to the structural change in the path the air travels.

Thanks for clarifying.

packmule1911
02-03-2015, 03:05 PM
what tranny problems are you having? Not shifting at the normal RPMs? If so, you might need to reset your kickdown cable. could've come out of adjustment when you did the tb spacer because iirc the adjuster is right there by the TB

I could have bumped something around; certainly. I'll have to learn what a kickdown cable is, and how to identify it, but for not I'll try the computer reset.

The problem is that when I'm accelerating the vehicle hangs out in 1st gear longer than it used to. It's also a little softer of a transition from first to second. It kind of eases into it, and takes a little longer to do so than it used to.

I love this Jeep, and I don't wish to be cynical, but it seems fixing one thing breaks something else with this thing.

Mudderoy
02-03-2015, 03:24 PM
You can always reset the computer for poops and giggles to see if that does anything. disconnect the battery for a while, touch the 2 cables together to fully discharge the system and hook her back up.

I thought you remove the positive cable and then touch a metal object on the engine. I usually do one of the bolts on the A/C compressor. I guess touching both battery cables together would be okay if you remove both of them from the battery first.

prerunner1982
02-03-2015, 03:26 PM
what tranny problems are you having? Not shifting at the normal RPMs? If so, you might need to reset your kickdown cable.

I bet you are right. Just the fact the throttle body was raised likely changed the tension on the kickdown cable.

packmule1911
02-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Found a YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRBR43fhpA4). Looks easy enough. Hope that's the fix.

You folks are awesome!

packmule1911
02-03-2015, 06:53 PM
MUCH better! Reset the cable. Will still reset the computer, just because. Thanks All.

Brasscatz
02-03-2015, 07:36 PM
I thought you remove the positive cable and then touch a metal object on the engine. I usually do one of the bolts on the A/C compressor. I guess touching both battery cables together would be okay if you remove both of them from the battery first.

Both should work. It's all just completely discharging the the remaining juice in the computer

MUCH better! Reset the cable. Will still reset the computer, just because. Thanks All.

Sweet! Glad that worked :D Sorry I couldn't post the youtube video earlier. I was at work and they block youtube :/

packmule1911
02-03-2015, 11:24 PM
Sorry I couldn't post the youtube video earlier. I was at work and they block youtube :/

No problem. It wasn't my video, just one I found that showed how to reset the cable.