PDA

View Full Version : Best Universal Joints?

abebehrmann
02-03-2015, 08:15 AM
I will be installing my lunchbox locker soon. I know that the u-joints will be taking a lot more stress with the two front wheels locked together so I plan on replacing them at the same time so I'm not "that guy" on the trail. I know Spicer U-joints are generally considered the best but do you guys recommend greasable or sealed u-joints? I can see benefits of each: greasable I will be able to push any contamination out after a mud/water crossing but they are hollow and I've heard of this weakening them. I ALWAYS grease up everything the day after I go out offroad so neglect/forgetting to grease shouldn't be a problem. Sealed I won't be able to push out any contamination after playing in the mud but maybe they wouldn't take on as much water/grit and would be stronger due to the solid construction. Most of the trails here in central FL are covered in water/mud at some point so staying out of it isn't really an option. Any and all recommendations or different brands will be considered.
Thanks,
Abe

XJ Wheeler
02-03-2015, 10:27 AM
I like the thoughts you have going on. Makes me wonder now too, look forward to the discussion.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

NW99XJ
02-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Because of your geographic location, i would recommend going with the greasable.
Although the sealed versions are "sealed" ...they aren't impervious to the elements, and will eventually start to flush out. Spicer is great unless you want to spend an insane amount of money and go with something like Yukon's Super Joints...
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/yga-32083.jpg

But lets face it...if you're going to spend that much (+$400 range) on U-joints alone, you might as well get some RCV axles or something.
Chromoly axle shafts will also provide a stronger home for the new u-joints, but may be out of some people budgets. The work you're doing would provide you the best opportunity to swap em out. The stronger ears of the shafts, will ensure there is less stress on the U-joint itself. Meaning all the forces are more equally applied across the whole assembly.
Another upgrade to consider would be the "Full Circle Clip Mod" ... this involves some slight grinding to the backside of the ears, to accommodate a full circle clip, vs the standard "C" clip.
(images courtesy of wayaflife.com)
http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=324750

for the full story & a good write up of how to accomplish this go HERE (http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3345-Front-Axle-Shafts-C-Clips-vs-Full-Circle-Clips)
http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=324753

Anyways, hope this help out, and gives you some ideas to consider while doing your upgrade.
Good luck! ...and be sure to post up your finished results!

abebehrmann
02-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Next question: Anybody know if Spicer even makes a greasable U-joint for the Dana 30? It seems I'm an idiot and all I can find are the sealed 5-760x U-joints from Spicer. If that is the case, should I go for Spicer sealed or Precision Driveline greasable?

olliewagon
02-03-2015, 09:03 PM
I bought US Alloy. They have needle style grease fittings on each cap. not cheap two summers almost two winters.

abebehrmann
02-04-2015, 08:34 AM
I ended up ordering Moog/Precision Part#377 Premium Greasable Super Strength Universal Joints from Rockauto.com. Will let you guys know my impressions once I receive them and get them installed.

NW99XJ
02-04-2015, 08:47 AM
I've never been a fan of needle style fittings.... that being said, I WOULD choose Spicer (sealed or not) over a lesser brand.
(US Alloy makes decent stuff - so not bad talking them here.)
Now that I think about it... i dont think the 5-760X comes in a greasable flavor....
That being said... I would make it a point to inspect them at every oil change, of not every other. This doesn't mean you have to pull your hubs, axles and the whole nine yards, removing the joints from the axle assembly.... but i would visually inspect them paying close attention to that rubber seal.

I have ran many different kinds of U-joints over the years, Spicer, US Alloy, And a smattering of various part store brands, from Nappa's premium line, to Car Quest Junk.... ANY U-joint will get you down the road, and will prob get you on, thru, and off most trails... it comes down to your set up, you're wheeling style, and the kind of terrain that you find yourself on the most...that will eventually determine what U-joint u settle on. The dryer, rockier, terrain, with larger tires, and a heavy right foot... will be a combination that would dictate the strongest joint you can shove in there.... in my opinion, it goes down from there.

abebehrmann
02-04-2015, 09:03 AM
I've never been a fan of needle style fittings.... that being said, I WOULD choose Spicer (sealed or not) over a lesser brand.

WELL IT'S A LITTLE LATE NOW JOSH! I ALREADY ORDERED THE MOOG ONES! :cry::banghead::cry:

Hahaha, just kidding. I talked to some people in my Jeep club and they all recommended the greasable ones too so I just found the best looking ones I could afford and went with those. If these don't end up lasting very long I'll definitely be going back to the Spicer 5-760X sealed ones.

NW99XJ
02-04-2015, 09:35 AM
WELL IT'S A LITTLE LATE NOW JOSH! I ALREADY ORDERED THE MOOG ONES! :cry::banghead::cry:

Hahaha, just kidding. I talked to some people in my Jeep club and they all recommended the greasable ones too so I just found the best looking ones I could afford and went with those. If these don't end up lasting very long I'll definitely be going back to the Spicer 5-760X sealed ones.
Hey, Moog makes some great stuff... i havent ever used their U-joints... but if they're made half as good as their TRE's... then you'll be happy!
The US Alloy Ball Joints I got HAD those needle style zirk fittings...so i went out and bought a needle tip for my grease gun.... Getting the tip and the zirk to play nicely was about as easy as trying to shove a wet noodle up a wildcats ass... needless to say, i swapped those needle zirks out for regular ones.

abebehrmann
02-04-2015, 09:49 AM
Oh cool, I can just swap out the needle zerk for conventional ones no problem? That's awesome, I don't have a needle fitting for my grease gun but I have plenty of extra zerks laying around.

NW99XJ
02-05-2015, 08:56 AM
Oh cool, I can just swap out the needle zerk for conventional ones no problem? That's awesome, I don't have a needle fitting for my grease gun but I have plenty of extra zerks laying around.
Just be mindful of clearance, needle zirks have a much lower profile, thats why they're typically seen on U-joints and Ball-joints.