PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 won't engage

Matt1ocon
02-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Hi all, sorry if this is wrong place im new and haven't figured out this tapatalk app thing yet, I have a 1998 jeep Cherokee 2.5 vm diesel special, I got it cheap so it's been a work in progress but now we've had bad snow here i laughed thinking it would be a breeze, only to discover the damn thing is stuck on the drive due to the 4x4 not working so I investigated the transfer lever too find the little metal rod wasn't attached so i reattached it and now have some resistance but still no 4x4 front wheels do nothing. So I'm guessing the transfer linkage wants adjusting but just in case it's not that have you any more ideals??? From what I can find it might be vacuum operated like early xj's? Any help would be appreciated obviously I haven't looked yet as I don't fancy lying in the snow just yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

denverd1
02-02-2015, 07:23 PM
If you disconnect the linkage you should be able to find the happy spot on tcase. Do that and adjust you linkage to hit it.

bcrosson92
02-03-2015, 07:26 AM
sounds like linkage adj. i have a '90 and it only has a breather line attached no vac. ive been dealing with a rebuild and putting it in and out in the snow.

Matt1ocon
02-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Finally decided to man up and get on my back in the snow and ...ta dar....6924
Everything was working exactly as it should except the nut that tights the plate onto the transfer shaft had come lose so the plate was just spinning freely so I took the nut off put a washer on and tightened it all up and it works a treat now

denverd1
02-03-2015, 10:10 AM
sweet. glad it was an easy fix

Matt1ocon
02-03-2015, 10:20 AM
Me too it's not often things go easy for me

prcjeep
02-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Finally decided to man up and get on my back in the snow and ...ta dar....6924
Everything was working exactly as it should except the nut that tights the plate onto the transfer shaft had come lose so the plate was just spinning freely so I took the nut off put a washer on and tightened it all up and it works a treat now

Whats that light on the upper right side?

Matt1ocon
02-03-2015, 10:27 AM
Handbrake/parking brake light