PDA

View Full Version : Front end shaking

texasxj
01-30-2015, 09:30 PM
ok so ive had my xj a few days know and im working on fixing running issues but i had another issue today driving home, ive known that i need to replace front end parts but today i was going around 65mph and the front end started shacking violently. the only thing i could compare it to would be wheel bearings going, but when i slowed down to bout 20mph as i was trying to stop it stopped. i checked everything over that i could on the side of the road and could not find anything. it hasnt done it since. ima jack it up tomarrow and check it better but any ideas as to the cause?

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/1505315_433725490111996_8504651887585494904_n.jpg? oh=2c414f8fa35bde5d9330ed682b637a7e&oe=5563C6B2

4.3LXJ
01-30-2015, 09:41 PM
Will, you have been blessed with death wobble. Scares the shit out of you, hence the name. It is fixable. First thing to do is have someone saw the steering wheel back and forth while you watch underneath. Any steering parts that move when they are not supposed to need to be replaced

texasxj
01-30-2015, 09:54 PM
Will, you have been blessed with death wobble. Scares the shit out of you, hence the name. It is fixable. First thing to do is have someone saw the steering wheel back and forth while you watch underneath. Any steering parts that move when they are not supposed to need to be replaced

to do this would it be best to have in on the ground with full weight on everything or jack the front end up, and if so where is a good jack point

4.3LXJ
01-30-2015, 09:56 PM
Have it on the ground. Start it up and have someone work the wheel for you

texasxj
01-30-2015, 09:59 PM
thanx it didnt seem like it was actually the wheel bearings although im still going to check them for slack. is there any one part thats the issue in the death wobble? also i have a little slack in the steering wheel could that have caused it and if so is there another way to fix it or is it just a gear box to replace?

4.3LXJ
01-30-2015, 10:02 PM
Axle side track bar bushing is the worst offender

XJ Wheeler
01-30-2015, 10:16 PM
Check that alignment too, especially being new to you no telling what its at. That was the cause of my DW and its free to check.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

texasxj
01-31-2015, 05:41 AM
the alignment seems fine dosent pull or anything, i found a kit on line for $140 thar replaces everything so im going to do that regardless, im probally about to drop $1000 in it just to make sure everythings good, however i have a question, it already has a 3" lift on it, will a factory Track Bar, pitman arm and sway bar links still fit? or do i need to get aftermarket ones?

heshhash
01-31-2015, 08:47 AM
They will not. You can get an adjustable trackbar. You will have to research the swaybar links, but you should be able to just replace the bushings. Not sure on the steering linkage, someone else may know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
01-31-2015, 11:59 AM
Steering linkage will be fine

XJ Wheeler
01-31-2015, 10:42 PM
If you're gonna replace it anyway i personally would go with aftermarket. Disconnects for the sway bar. Adjustable track bar. So you can go bigger later it you desire. No need for a drop pitman arm and they are pretty resilient so its not likely to need replacement.

And with the alignment these jeeps have an odd type of steering called a y-link setup. The problem is when you lift it the linkage pulls the tires toward each other. This causes the tires to fight each other and roll on the bottom outside edges that contact the road. It won't pull because both tires are turned in but a certain speed (45 for me) it becomes too much and causes the "Wobble". Although mine was because of a forgetful shop and was pretty out of whack.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

denverd1
02-01-2015, 03:09 AM
My girl spreads her leg dirty broad

texasxj
02-01-2015, 06:58 PM
ok well to start i only have a $1000 budget to make her right so i found this kit, does it look like it will be enough to stop the death wobble without me buying more? im also getting a new steering gear box and power steering pump to

http://www.1aauto.com/jeep-cherokee-comanche-%28mj%29-suspension-kit/i/1asfk00492?f=551509&y=1996

XJ Wheeler
02-01-2015, 08:27 PM
ok well to start i only have a $1000 budget to make her right so i found this kit, does it look like it will be enough to stop the death wobble without me buying more? im also getting a new steering gear box and power steering pump to

http://www.1aauto.com/jeep-cherokee-comanche-%28mj%29-suspension-kit/i/1asfk00492?f=551509&y=1996

To be honest we can't know that because we don't know the problem. The thing with death wobble is it can be so many different things a kit may or may not do it for ya. There are common problems like the trackbar being loose or worn, tires out of balance, alignment, and some more but sometimes its the less likely things. Before spending money that may not fix it take steves advice and have someone steer it back and forth while watching under the front. I'd hate for you to waste money on a non-fix, especially when money is tight. I can relate and hopefully its something simple aka cheap.

texasxj
02-01-2015, 09:04 PM
well everythings lose lol all the bushings are gone, slacked bearings and what not it all needs to be replaced, but the wheels are balanced, if i can replaced it all for that price id do it. i spent the last 2 days fighting a o2 sensor so i havent got to mess with it

XJ Wheeler
02-01-2015, 10:23 PM
well everythings lose lol all the bushings are gone, slacked bearings and what not it all needs to be replaced, but the wheels are balanced, if i can replaced it all for that price id do it. i spent the last 2 days fighting a o2 sensor so i havent got to mess with it

If they need replacement anyway then yeah, go for it. I am rather surprised at that price, a deal for sure. Even just that track bar and sway bar links would normally cost that much. Good luck.

denverd1
02-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Nice price for that kit
Dropped pitman if you plan to go above 4". Track bar bracket for lifts as well. And couldn't hurt yous at 3"