PDA

View Full Version : Just a lil help with running issue?

texasxj
01-29-2015, 08:55 PM
Hey all, i just got my first XJ, or jeep for that matter so far loving it. Shes a 96 with the NP242 T case. I just looked around online to find a forum that it looked like i would like so here i am!

I just traded her for my 94 dodge dakota and i have a few questions bout her, so is some one would help me out that would be bad ass!

first, running issues: everything works grate, BUT when shes cold she dosent like to stay idling even more so in gear. i have to feather the gas like a car with a gummed up carb. also this morning when i was on the HYW at around 65 it started sputtering and trying to die like it was running out of gas, but once i let up a little it evened out and would climb back to speed, however it did not repeat this on my way home this afternoon. any ideas? to me it seems like a fuel issue of some kind. also the down stream O2 sensor is disconnected, the huy i got it from sait the wires got caught in the drive shaft but this shouldent effect running should it? seeing how that O2 should only be for emissions, but no dash lights are on.
it has a few other issues but nothing as debilitating as this one

second rust control: i have some holes but not enough to replace floor pans. any ideas for treatment? i was thinking of hitting all rust with rust reformer, applying a coat of bondo to fill in and fortify the area then BEDLINE THE SHIT OUT OF IT!!! lol any thoghts

if any one would like to help that would be nice!!

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/1505315_433725490111996_8504651887585494904_n.jpg? oh=2c414f8fa35bde5d9330ed682b637a7e&oe=5563C6B2

Cheromaniac
01-30-2015, 05:41 AM
Your running issue could be due to gummed up injectors and carbon around the intake valves. A simple remedy would be to add a bottle of fuel system treatment (STP is really good) to your next tank of gas, and repeat the treatments about every 5000 miles to keep the fuel system/injectors clean.
The function of the downstream O2 sensor is to monitor the function of the cat, so disconnecting it won't affect the running of the engine but might cause the CEL to come on.
If the holes in the floor pans aren't near any structural areas or near the mounting points for the front seats, just grind away as much rust as possible till you're down to solid metal and treat the rest with rust reformer. Then apply some fiberglass matting over the holes and coat them with resin to get a nice, solid finish. Be sure to do the same underneath the vehicle. Then you can paint over it with satin black stonechip to protect it from the elements.

Gravedigger
01-30-2015, 09:04 AM
I'm a big fan of seafoam.2 cans in the tank with a a full tank of gas and take a long drive.then 1 can per tank to follow for the next couple fill up.
Full on tune up may be in order.moisture in the dizzy maybe.

Try a new up stream o2 sensor, oil change and a full tune up...plugs, wires, rotor, cap and seafoam in the gas tank

Sure did help my jeep.

prerunner1982
01-30-2015, 10:44 AM
Wouldn't hurt to take the throttle body off and give it a good cleaning, Idle Air Control valve as well (mounted on side of throttle body)

prcjeep
01-30-2015, 03:30 PM
watch the wires that go to the downsteam O2 sensor. My wires got caught on the DS once and the bare wires shorted themselves out and blew fuse, killing the jeep and wouldnt restart. You may also have a faulty TPS(throttle position sensor)

slvmart
01-30-2015, 04:29 PM
x2 on the IAC and a drink of your favorite fuel injector cleaner, for your new gal. And it might be a good idea to change the fuel filter, if you don't know when it was done last.

texasxj
01-30-2015, 08:44 PM
thanxs guys ive got a new downstream o2 im putting in tomarrow and ima do a tune up.

i had another issue today driving home, ive known that i need to replace front end parts but today i was going around 65mph and the front end started shacking violently. the only thing i could compare it to would be wheel bearings going, but when i slowed down to bout 20mph as i was trying to stop it stopped. i checked everything over that i could on the side of the road and could not find anything. it hasnt done it since. ima jack it up tomarrow and check it better but any ideas as to the cause?

XJ Wheeler
01-30-2015, 10:18 PM
It does sound a bit like the tps like patrick (prcjeep) said. Can cause all kinds of power delivery problems when they start going screwy.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

heshhash
01-31-2015, 08:38 AM
That violent shaking is death wobble, and it is not fun. Check- ball joints, u-joints, control arm bushings, all steering links, track bar for any movement or play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heshhash
01-31-2015, 08:41 AM
I just pulled this out of mine last night. Dried out, cracked, and the inner sleeve is wallowed out over 1/8"... Can't wait to do driver side tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texasxj
02-01-2015, 07:05 PM
ya for the death wobble im ordering a full front suspension kit http://www.1aauto.com/jeep-cherokee-comanche-%28mj%29-suspension-kit/i/1asfk00492?f=551509&y=1996

but i put a new down stream o2 in and cleaned idle air control valve and found a vacuum leak and fixed it but still the same issue. should i replace the tps? or will i just be throwing parts?

also i checked it on a obd2 scanner and it only had 2 codes a (high voltage) and the obvious downstream o2 sensor

XJ Wheeler
02-01-2015, 10:37 PM
If you've got a multi-meter you can test the tps as they aren't cheap to replace if you don't in fact need one.

Pulled this from jeep forum.
"TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 – 2001 4.0L H.O. engines

1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (SEE Image). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test.
3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated."

texasxj
02-02-2015, 06:30 PM
ok so i put the tps in and its acting like its helping but still has a lil issue, but does anyone know why its using much more gas since i put the downstream o2 in?

denverd1
02-03-2015, 10:31 AM
fuel filter as preventative maintenance.

No idea on consumption. have you checked fuel pressure at the rail? pumps usually either work or they don't so I don't suspect its bad

4.3LXJ
02-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Did you ever replace the upstream O2 sensor?

texasxj
02-03-2015, 05:41 PM
not yet and ill be replacing the upstream this weekend with the front suspension

4.3LXJ
02-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Replacing the upstream will probably fix your milage issue