PDA

View Full Version : Sound system issue

dagod16
01-24-2015, 10:04 PM
So On my standard Jeep XJ 2001 stereo I have a knob that can rotate between which speaker is playing. n If I put the knob to one speaker and I don't get sound out of it what does that mean?

Is it the speaker or something else?

Brasscatz
01-25-2015, 01:58 AM
It's either the wiring to that speaker or the speaker itself

bluedragon436
01-25-2015, 04:01 AM
Or could even be the channel itself coming out of the head unit... Most people always assume it's either the speaker or wiring... and most of the time it usually is, but could also be the respective channel out of the unit to start with... Is it by chance a door speaker that isn't working?? I only ask cause I had a similar issue in my 98 where one door randomly wouldn't work, (I'd say try hitting the door panel roughly where the pull handle and under the switch panel meets, that worked on my 98 till I could find the issue).. in which case it's either a connection or a wire that is chaffed somewhere.. Getting ready to run all new wiring for all speaker locations on my 97 here shortly, as only one side works, so instead of pulling and troubleshooting, I'm just going to go ahead and run new wiring, especially while I have the headliner out redoing it..

slvmart
01-25-2015, 04:23 AM
Not unusual for wires between the chassis and the door to fail. I had a Passenger door problem with my speakers. So check the wiring, it may be a minor PITA to fix, but it's really not complicated. Make sure you solder and insulate the wire, don't just use a crimp connector.

Mudderoy
01-25-2015, 05:12 AM
I had a door speaker fail on my new 98 pretty quick. Less than 5 years if I remember right. Just replaced them both. I'd look it up to be sure, but I think you can fit a 6.5" speaker in there pretty easy.

bluedragon436
01-25-2015, 05:57 AM
I ran 6.5" speakers in the doors and in the sound bar in my 98... Planning on picking up similar setup to install in my 97 as well, as they are all the well worn out stockers... So long as they don't have huge baskets you can fit them in without any cutting

dagod16
01-25-2015, 07:08 AM
When I move that little knob down whic means the sound should only go to the back two speakers, I get a faint audio sound from both. But that knob in the center position works fine.

4.3LXJ
01-25-2015, 10:52 AM
Are you referring to the fader knob?

bluedragon436
01-25-2015, 10:55 AM
Are you referring to the fader knob?

That's what I'm thinking he's referring too... and in which case if it works fine in the center position, when all speakers should be one... then it would just seem as if it's the contacts for the knob that might just be gunked up or worn out...

nickyg
01-25-2015, 11:48 AM
The fact that you can any sound at all from your stereo means you have the wrong muffler...
Just kidding..
I don't care much for stock stereo and speakers. www.crutchfield.com is the place I go.
I have the Pioneer DEH-X4700BT and love it
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X4700BT/Pioneer-DEH-X4700BT.html?tp=5684

slvmart
01-25-2015, 02:33 PM
x2 on Crutchfield.

bluedragon436
01-25-2015, 02:56 PM
The fact that you can any sound at all from your stereo means you have the wrong muffler...
Just kidding..
I don't care much for stock stereo and speakers. www.crutchfield.com is the place I go.
I have the Pioneer DEH-X4700BT and love it
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X4700BT/Pioneer-DEH-X4700BT.html?tp=5684

I mainly made use of my radio in my 98 during the winter when the windows were rolled up and I couldn't fully enjoy the exhaust...

dagod16
01-25-2015, 10:12 PM
Yep they work fine when knob is in center but not when I move the knob to an indivirual speaker.

bluedragon436
01-25-2015, 11:06 PM
Yep they work fine when knob is in center but not when I move the knob to an indivirual speaker.

Then I would say it's just a matter of the contact on the knob either being worn out or just gunked up.. Minor annoyance if you are trying to fade sound a bit more towards the rear or the front then center.. but nothing worth replacing unless you find a replacement head unit in the JY or decide to go ahead and upgrade..

denverd1
01-26-2015, 12:43 PM
I ran 6.5" speakers in the doors and in the sound bar in my 98... Planning on picking up similar setup to install in my 97 as well, as they are all the well worn out stockers... So long as they don't have huge baskets you can fit them in without any cutting

If you have awesome speakers with big magnets and baskets, you can shim the surface of the door to increase backside clearance. I would do this instead of opt for a "shorter" speaker. or go for a shallow mount model.

I'm about to redo the sound system in the boat. Picking up 6 infiniti reference 6.5" components. RMS 100/peak 225 watts!! I'll see if I can stuff one in the door or if I need to shim the ring for better clearance. FYI Im runnign them off a 1200 watt amp in the boat and they really wake up if you put some power to them.

abebehrmann
01-26-2015, 02:03 PM
Doesn't sound like this is your problem since you say that sound is normal with the fader in the center position but maybe it just sounds normal when the other speakers are playing too.

Anyway, in my XJ I only have the two front speakers and about a year ago I noticed that my right speaker was only make a tiny little noise compared to the other one. Took off the door cover, cut the plug off and crimped on some new connectors to connect to the speaker. Works great again and has held up for over a year! I've been meaning to go in and make a more permanent fix as well as add another couple of speakers in the back, but other things have been taking precedence over the audio quality in my Jeep.

Doubt this will help you but maybe it will help someone else in the future.

bluedragon436
01-26-2015, 02:07 PM
If you have awesome speakers with big magnets and baskets, you can shim the surface of the door to increase backside clearance. I would do this instead of opt for a "shorter" speaker. or go for a shallow mount model.

I'm about to redo the sound system in the boat. Picking up 6 infiniti reference 6.5" components. RMS 100/peak 225 watts!! I'll see if I can stuff one in the door or if I need to shim the ring for better clearance. FYI Im runnign them off a 1200 watt amp in the boat and they really wake up if you put some power to them.

This is true.. I know you can shim them, but was thinking on the side of most folks don't know how to do that kind of stuff, and many don't want to deal with that.. that is the only reason I pointed out to run smaller basket/magnet speakers from the get go.. I've thought about picking up the Infiniti speakers for my Ram.. don't know if I'll go quite that nice of setup in my XJ... as it won't be huge for sound quality or anything when I'm driving the XJ... but will see what I'm able to pick up speaker wise for the XJ, as she is def in need of all new speakers..