PDA

View Full Version : Got a wake up call about my XJ brakes today..

beatupjeep
01-20-2015, 09:46 PM
So today I rented a uhaul van to move some stuff that was too big for my '89 Cherokee.

Looked at the odometer..4200 miles! Basically a brand new GMC van.

Weighs about 5200lbs empty. Brakes feel AWESOME. Total sense that I could stop way faster than I would probably ever want to.

So did my moving thing and then went back to pick up my jeep.

Drove out of the parking lot..oops theres traffic so need to stop and wait.

wow....does it even have brakes? I cant believe how bad the brakes are compared to the uhaul van. And they've been that way for years. Ive always known they were really bad but it just really became obvious.

Why are the Jeep brakes so bad? Is it just my Jeep?

Its a light vehicle, I dont see why it cant have awesome brakes. Big enough wheels?

How good can the brakes get and for how much?

Im sure this has been asked a million times but if anyone feels like discussing it maybe it will be interesting yet again

4.3LXJ
01-20-2015, 11:30 PM
Early XJ brakes aren't especially good. Slow stoppers compared to newer rigs

beatupjeep
01-20-2015, 11:34 PM
Early XJ brakes aren't especially good. Slow stoppers compared to newer rigs

Thanks for the response! I am kind of fascinated by why they are so bad.

Im 99% sure the brake lines are all ancient, so theres that.

Im not sure how well the system is bled. The brakes are functional, but who knows if there maybe is air in there.

The pads and rotors are maybe 5 years, 30k miles old.

Im not sure about the drums.

So maybe I should replace a bunch of stuff and then check it out.

Maybe also do a 0-60 braking test with a gps logger...kinda scary though without ABS so maybe not.

Mudderoy
01-20-2015, 11:45 PM
I noticed a braking performance upgrade when I went with the semi-metallic pads.

I need to do the drum to disc brake upgrade of the rear breaks.

It wouldn't hurt to replace ALL the brake fluid either. Stainless steel braided hoses also help.

XJ Wheeler
01-21-2015, 12:03 AM
Your info says you have an '89. First, what is the history on the brakes? Are they in good condition? XJs aren't ones to have been known to bee outstanding when it comes to brakes. Adequate is one word I would describe if pushed to do so. Now, being jeepers, adequate isn't exactly a word we get excited about. If your stock brakes are in good condition you do actually have a few options where upgrading is concerned.

(1) Swapping out your old, and most likely standard, pads and shoes. Going with a ceramic replacement is good. Personally I went with EBC performance pads. They don't offer a shoe though. Great quality, and good feel.

(2) Getting some performance rotors on there. Mostly these are only gonna make a noticeable difference if you're braking enough to heat them up. I.e. hills, towing.

(3) Swapping out the brake booster and master cylinder from a '95-'96 xj. These are dual diaphragm and will apply a lot more pressure. This is a great upgrade and is fairly easy to do. The only modification is drilling out the pedal slot, and grinding down the end of the shaft for the brake light switch. Although, the more common problem comes in when trying to disconnect the 20-30 year old brake lines from the master cylinder. Also, if you're getting the replacement items from the junkyard be sure to get the spacer that sets between the booster and firewall.

(4) Upgrading to disc brakes in the rear. This can be accomplished using a few different sources. The one I used was getting a set from a Zj ('94-'98 Grand Cherokee), also from a Kj (Liberty), and purchasing a new kit from a supplier (like Teraflex). Now, the Liberty setup is generally used on Xjs with the 8.25 rear axle but I haven't heard of anything wrong with using them on a dana 35. To do this swap you will have to do a fair bit of work. Replacing wheel studs, backing plate studs, removing the axleshafts (good time to replace those wheel bearings and seals), mount the brake hoses (Xjs didn't have them so there is no stock mount), and rework the ebrake setup. All in all it has been worth it, even just to get rid of those sucky drum brakes.

(5) Wj front knuckle swap. I can't comment personally on this one, but from research it requires a good bit of work and some welding. But you also get a better steering setup.

(6) Stainless brake hoses. Some say these help by not expanding as much, but I think its pretty neglible and the money could be used elsewhere with better results.

downsy
01-21-2015, 12:52 AM
Most UHaul and other rental rigs are overbuilt for their purpose because the corporate egg heads know these things are going to be used by mostly ignorant American masses.

What I've noticed on most of these rental vehicles (and being military and moving semi often I use them alot) is that the brakes, chassis ect seem way overkill for their expected use.

Take a look at Uhaul trailers. For how much they are supposed to hold when under weight they are built to survive a nuclear strike. That's because they have to be built to survive the lowest common denominator.

beatupjeep
01-21-2015, 12:56 AM
Your info says you have an '89. First, what is the history on the brakes? Are they in good condition? XJs aren't ones to have been known to bee outstanding when it comes to brakes. Adequate is one word I would describe if pushed to do so. Now, being jeepers, adequate isn't exactly a word we get excited about. If your stock brakes are in good condition you do actually have a few options where upgrading is concerned.

(1) Swapping out your old, and most likely standard, pads and shoes. Going with a ceramic replacement is good. Personally I went with EBC performance pads. They don't offer a shoe though. Great quality, and good feel.

(2) Getting some performance rotors on there. Mostly these are only gonna make a noticeable difference if you're braking enough to heat them up. I.e. hills, towing.

(3) Swapping out the brake booster and master cylinder from a '95-'96 xj. These are dual diaphragm and will apply a lot more pressure. This is a great upgrade and is fairly easy to do. The only modification is drilling out the pedal slot, and grinding down the end of the shaft for the brake light switch. Although, the more common problem comes in when trying to disconnect the 20-30 year old brake lines from the master cylinder. Also, if you're getting the replacement items from the junkyard be sure to get the spacer that sets between the booster and firewall.

(4) Upgrading to disc brakes in the rear. This can be accomplished using a few different sources. The one I used was getting a set from a Zj ('94-'98 Grand Cherokee), also from a Kj (Liberty), and purchasing a new kit from a supplier (like Teraflex). Now, the Liberty setup is generally used on Xjs with the 8.25 rear axle but I haven't heard of anything wrong with using them on a dana 35. To do this swap you will have to do a fair bit of work. Replacing wheel studs, backing plate studs, removing the axleshafts (good time to replace those wheel bearings and seals), mount the brake hoses (Xjs didn't have them so there is no stock mount), and rework the ebrake setup. All in all it has been worth it, even just to get rid of those sucky drum brakes.

(5) Wj front knuckle swap. I can't comment personally on this one, but from research it requires a good bit of work and some welding. But you also get a better steering setup.

(6) Stainless brake hoses. Some say these help by not expanding as much, but I think its pretty neglible and the money could be used elsewhere with better results.

wow thanks for the info!!

I think I will try 1 3 and 6 first and see if its good enough. If not then maybe 4 as well. I wonder what the 1980's reviews said about the Cherokee brakes?

bluedragon436
01-21-2015, 05:01 PM
I was def going to say I'd probably either check your rear brakes out, or if you don't mind spending a bit of money on it... go ahead and upgrade the rears to some disc brakes.. I'm going to be looking to pick up a a disc brake conversion setup from IRO (http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=D35DISC&Category_Code=PFX) since it's pricing is pretty good and I know all parts will be in good shape and not need to be swapped out with new parts.. I say make sure your current back brakes are in good shape if you aren't going to upgrade to discs.. because I replaced the front brakes on my 98 and that def helped with my braking power, but noticed it slowly faded away over a little bit of time (granted was driving almost 100miles a day for work).. so I pulled the back drums loose to check on them, and they def needed some love... so I replaced the shoes and drums and then redid the front (front parts were still under warranty).. and was very well pleased with that performance... thought about doing the same to my 97 I have now... but think I'll just go ahead and upgrade the rear to discs.. as I like full disc brake stopping power..

denverd1
01-23-2015, 02:22 AM
Old lyrics put a new song in your XJ.

86CherokeeChief
02-23-2015, 09:50 PM
I drive rental cars for work pretty frequently, and am thrown off every time I get back home. There's almost always that first slow in traffic, stop sign, child darting into the road where I end up in a full on panic wondering why I cant stop.

4.3LXJ
02-23-2015, 09:55 PM
The 86 Xj didn't have much for brakes. You can improve them with ZJ rear discs and late knuckles and calipers. Dual diaphragm ZJ master cylinder works well too

cpttuna
02-25-2015, 08:56 PM
I do not do my own brake work. I have a good mechanic and each jeep is checked at least once a year. Based upon several different jeep sites, I have purchased the replacement pads and rotors I want on my jeeps. I keep them on hand so the mechanic does not replace parts with what oreilly, autozone or NAPA has on hand that particular day. I also keep a written record of what is done. I do not trust my memory. I am impressed that my mechanic is impressed with the parts I provide him.