PDA

View Full Version : Rear Leaf Spring U-Bolt Question-Noob Question #!

junkyard zombie
01-19-2015, 07:04 PM
We are installing a RC 4.5 lift on a 97 Cherokee. We were working on installing the new leaf springs this past weekend. We did a loose fitting of the u-bolts around the axle and the axle spread the u-bolt out where it would not fit into the plate that goes on top of the spring. I don't really want to beat on it with a hammer and damage the threads, I was wondering if there is a tool that is used to pull the bolts back closer together. I was thinking about using a ratcheting tie down to try to pull them closer. Any advice from anyone who has had this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

autotech98
01-19-2015, 08:07 PM
What rear is in your jeep? i think the d35 and the 8.25 are different diameters on the axle tube if they sent you the wrong one....

4.3LXJ
01-19-2015, 08:09 PM
This happens all the time. Big pair of channel locks, use your had if your strong. Anything will work. And don't worry too much about the threads. A little scraping will not hurt the enough to matter. 55% of a thread has 75% of the strength. 90% of a thread is just as strong as 100%

junkyard zombie
01-19-2015, 08:19 PM
What rear is in your jeep? i think the d35 and the 8.25 are different diameters on the axle tube if they sent you the wrong one....
Thanks, I will double check, but the u-bolts they sent were basically the same size and an extra set that were about 2" longer.

junkyard zombie
01-19-2015, 08:24 PM
This happens all the time. Big pair of channel locks, use your had if your strong. Anything will work. And don't worry too much about the threads. A little scraping will not hurt the enough to matter. 55% of a thread has 75% of the strength. 90% of a thread is just as strong as 100%
Cool, thanks. I will look through my tools but I don't think I have a set that big. Looks like I will be making a trip to Harbor Freight before the next weekend. Thanks again.