PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a LED light bar

xjken99
01-19-2015, 01:07 PM
The wife bought me a 21" LED light bar for Christmas and I am trying to figure out how to mount it. Currently I have two Pep Boy Lights zip tied to the factory roof rack bar. They are pretty light weight but the light bar has a lot more weight. Been searching for light bars but they all seem to mount to the roof rain rails, a look I don't care for. Wondering if I could mount the bar to the factory roof rack crossbar. Has anyone done that? Are they strong enough to drill into and hold the light bar? Does anyone know of any kind of brackets that would attach to the crossbar that the lights could attach to?

NeverSmashaPaul
01-19-2015, 03:37 PM
Your description says you have a 99. If this is the case your factory roof rack should be plenty strong.

xjken99
01-19-2015, 04:07 PM
Go to know, thank you sir.

OrangeXJ
01-19-2015, 05:30 PM
I had 4 6' round KC lights that were preatty heavy mounted on mine had no problems. I just got some 2"x1/8 inch alumium flat bar and made mounting brackets.

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m470/GregKnowles/020.jpg (http://s335.photobucket.com/user/GregKnowles/media/020.jpg.html)

Philxj4L
01-20-2015, 08:21 AM
There too much flex on the roof bar. Your light will appear to vibrate/flicker every time you hit a bump or pothole. Remember, LEDs have a range of around 1000 meters, so the slightest movement of the roof bar will be amplified.
Get some flat strip steel, bend up 2 'L' brackets, with long enough 'feet' to allow 2 or 3 mount bolts. Use m10/m12 rivnuts to mount directly to the roof. You can use mastic or silicone seal to ensure no leaks.
Job done, secure, and stable light output. :)
This method allows you to fit the bar as close to the roofline as you want.

Mudderoy
01-20-2015, 08:44 AM
Cargo rack came in two lengths. One only went as far as the "B" pillar (maybe a little farther) and the other goes almost to the "A" pillar. Unless you have the long one I don't think you want to mount your light that far back.

You might want to give us a picture of the LED light bar, as they do come in more than one mounting options. Or tell us if it is bottom mount, or side mount.

Frankly for a 21" LED light bar I would put it low, and not on the roof.

The one in the middle "low" is a 20" LED light bar. The one on the roof is 44"

ZachXJ1993
01-22-2015, 07:25 AM
I put a 41" on the roof of my car but I used my ski rack crossbars. I used some galvanized strut clamps from the electrical trade to mount it. My setup isn't permanent in any way. I am a huge advocate of roof mounted bars. But I agree with Mudderoy, if you put the 20" in front of the grill you then you can save room for a bigger bar on the roof later.
-Zach

Brasscatz
01-22-2015, 08:39 AM
The most important part is that where ever you mount your LED lighting.... secure it. If you don't have a welder, stop by a shop (muffler, off-road, etc) and have them tack weld the mounting bolt/nut. I've known too many people that have had their LED lights stolen. They aren't cheap and with the growing popularity, they are next to impossible to track down.

xjken99
01-22-2015, 09:32 AM
Not the exact same light but, mine looks like the one pictured.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn148/xjken99/20inchLED_zps55171f2a.jpg (http://s303.photobucket.com/user/xjken99/media/20inchLED_zps55171f2a.jpg.html)

The roof rack side rails on the "99 only come to the b pillar but, the lights that I currently have up there still do a decent job. The front bumper mount is interesting, in that I could keep the current roof lights instead of replacing them. I am a little concerned if there is enough space for the bumper mount. Thanks everyone for pics and suggestions.

ZachXJ1993
01-22-2015, 09:37 AM
That bar mounts just like the 41" I put on my roof. Those mounts are pretty good and sturdy. Good choice on the bumper mount. Besides you can't have too many lights.
-Zach

ZachXJ1993
01-22-2015, 09:40 AM
Here is what I did on the roof.
-Zach

autotech98
01-22-2015, 10:16 AM
Nice...

XJ Wheeler
01-22-2015, 11:27 AM
The most important part is that where ever you mount your LED lighting.... secure it. If you don't have a welder, stop by a shop (muffler, off-road, etc) and have them tack weld the mounting bolt/nut. I've known too many people that have had their LED lights stolen. They aren't cheap and with the growing popularity, they are next to impossible to track down.

Good info, and to add to it. I suggest marking it permanently, something that can't be removed, and taking a pic the mark. That way you can identify it later in case you find it on craigslist or something.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.