PDA

View Full Version : Manual fan over electronic

Doriansrjeep93
01-18-2015, 11:54 AM
Ok so I want to know everyone's preference on if they like manual driven cooling fans or electronic. Im going to be dropping in a 3 core aluminum radiator and Im thinking about dropping in two electronic fans. It has only one manual fan and the shroud is gone, that's how i bought it so don't think i took it off, i way understand the need for one and am not happy about it. But any way, what way should i go?

4.3LXJ
01-18-2015, 12:58 PM
Dorian, the first thing to consider with electric fans is: Do they pull enough air? You need about 3000 cfm total to match the OEM fans. Most electrics do not match that, but it is possible to get fans that will do it and even surpass that.

That being said, I prefer electronic control. At leas on the primary fan. But I need to qualify that. My primary fan pulls 3800 CFM and has a shroud. My secondary fan will activate with the primary or I can switch it manually or it comes on with the AC. I like the convenience of lots of fan that comes on and off automatically. Mine are controlled by a simple idiot light type sensor I got from Painless wiring

nickyg
01-18-2015, 01:07 PM
I'm sure there's a lot smarter people who'll chime in. but I'll give my .02 worth.
I have the stock mechanical fan. and one draw back I have is when I'm sitting idle in the taco bell drive tru the fan is spinning slower due to low RPM. In the summer months the temp climbs up a bit
where an electric fan will spin the same speed regardless of RPM.

Doriansrjeep93
01-18-2015, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys. I know where to get some high flow fans I used to work at a place that made whole house fans. Powerful little sucker. But I think im going to go with electronic only because are summers are hot hot and winters are cold. Just need to now get the new radiator and boom.

NeverSmashaPaul
01-19-2015, 04:04 PM
I kept the mechanical, but put a pusher fan in front of the stock electric and have a switch to over ride them if I see my temps climb. With 4 electrics I couldn't keep her cool enough. Now I rarely have to turn on the e fans, and if I do the temps drop quickly.

Jeepster19
02-02-2015, 11:16 PM
I kept the mechanical, but put a pusher fan in front of the stock electric and have a switch to over ride them if I see my temps climb. With 4 electrics I couldn't keep her cool enough. Now I rarely have to turn on the e fans, and if I do the temps drop quickly.

Do you have pictures of your new setup?Sounds really good and I'm sure your a/c will work a whole lot better too!:xj-black:

NeverSmashaPaul
02-07-2015, 01:04 PM
Let me see if I can find pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk