PDA

View Full Version : Xj steering.

Smlxjne
01-15-2015, 12:09 PM
From research found the v8 zj tie rod steering upgrade. Had a clarifying question.

Do you replace just the tie rod or both tie rod and drag link? I replaced both and the zj drag link hits my factory front skid.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep the rubber side down

abebehrmann
01-15-2015, 12:39 PM
From research found the v8 zj tie rod steering upgrade. Had a clarifying question.

Do you replace just the tie rod or both tie rod and drag link? I replaced both and the zj drag link hits my factory front skid.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Just did this upgrade a few months ago. I replaced both when I did it but the drag link on the XJ is identical to the one on the V8 ZJ. Same part# and everything.

Edit: appears I didn't read the whole thing. Don't know why that would happen. You have any pics of it? I can take a pic of mine tonight to compare with.

4.3LXJ
01-15-2015, 12:48 PM
They are supposed to be the same. It is really only necessary to replace the tie rod for the upgrade. I realize it is easier probably to pull both sometimes, but it is the tie rod that is weak. The drag link is plenty strong enough

Smlxjne
01-15-2015, 09:24 PM
I pulled them from the junk yard and replaced the ends. I did compare to my old one and it didn't look bent....

It's mainly the bolt for the stabilizer. I don't have any pics. Out on the road for work.

**Edit** It only interferes at full droop. I have stock suspension.

I'll investigate and follow up. Just kinda feeling out if anyone else had any issues.

Smlxjne
01-15-2015, 09:26 PM
They are supposed to be the same. It is really only necessary to replace the tie rod for the upgrade. I realize it is easier probably to pull both sometimes, but it is the tie rod that is weak. The drag link is plenty strong enough

Agree. When I first saw the size difference in the tie rod I was kinda disappointed that jeep would chince out on it.