PDA

View Full Version : PS in-line filter

packmule1911
01-15-2015, 08:31 AM
I don't think that my XJ came with a factory PS filter installed, and it doesn't have one now, so this seems the right place to post about adding one.

Are power steering filters worthwhile?

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with them?

I assume if one's installed in-line, it would be on the low pressure line?

Thanks for the feedback.

4.3LXJ
01-15-2015, 10:26 AM
I have not seen anything yet that has one installed from the factory. I am not sure there are kits, but after googling I see there are some, mostly on tractors and stuff like that. I did see one inline filter, which as you said would go in the return line

drakan1908
01-15-2015, 10:33 AM
http://m.oreillyauto.com/mt/www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Steering+Filter/02839/C0203.oap?year=2001&make=Jeep&model=Cherokee&vi=1373666&keyword=power+steering+filter&un_jtt_redirect here is a universal filter

denverd1
01-15-2015, 10:35 AM
on a closed loop system like that, I don't really think they're that necessary. guess it couldn't hurt though

packmule1911
01-15-2015, 10:54 AM
guess it couldn't hurt though

That's what I was thinking. I need a new pump, and am going to try and evacuate as much of the current fluid as possible. Figured that putting in a magnetic filter while I was at it couldn't hurt.

packmule1911
01-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Since I need a new pump, and I saw a post here about using a WJ pump (direct bolt-on), I was wondering if there's any catch to using a WJ pump on an XJ. I don't want to change the steering box right now, but since I'm replacing a pump, if I can go with something better that's easy, why not?

What year WJ pump would I need to look for that will fit an '01 XJ? Many of them look to be the same thing.

Thanks!

4.3LXJ
01-15-2015, 12:50 PM
Since I need a new pump, and I saw a post here about using a WJ pump (direct bolt-on), I was wondering if there's any catch to using a WJ pump on an XJ. I don't want to change the steering box right now, but since I'm replacing a pump, if I can go with something better that's easy, why not?

What year WJ pump would I need to look for that will fit an '01 XJ? Many of them look to be the same thing.

Thanks!

I believe it is the 02 - 04 pump. They have a higher pressure. Of course, if you wanted to keep your old pump, in theory you could upgrade the pressure relief valve and attain the higher pressure

packmule1911
01-15-2015, 12:55 PM
Of course, if you wanted to keep your old pump, in theory you could upgrade the pressure relief valve and attain the higher pressure

Current pump is bad, and needs to be replaced anyway.

4.3LXJ
01-15-2015, 12:57 PM
You can also get a brand new super pump from AGR or PSC

packmule1911
01-15-2015, 01:08 PM
A bit too expensive right now.

denverd1
01-16-2015, 11:08 AM
I believe it is the 02 - 04 pump. They have a higher pressure. Of course, if you wanted to keep your old pump, in theory you could upgrade the pressure relief valve and attain the higher pressure

wait. so wouldn't this pump send enough pressure to the stock gear to keep it happy turning bigger tires for a while?

NW99XJ
01-16-2015, 11:49 AM
Just my professional opinion here...
But I would suggest focusing on keeping the PS Fluid cool, and less about keeping it clean.
It IS a sealed system, and its unlikely that any amount of contaminates would build up in the system enough to cause any issues.
The fluid however in an over-driven system, or in a system that sees a lot of counter force (think of steering against rocks while the tire is pinned in a crevice or something to that effect) .... will most likely get pretty hot, pretty quick. I have seen MANY well built rigs that use a cooler.. similar to either a tranny cooler, or something less restrictive like a large heatsink chamber, to bring the fluid temps down a bit.
(I've seen these things on many rigs before)
http://www.atozfabrication.com/store/image.php?type=P&id=16226
That being said... even with my Durango box, 33x12.50's, and playing in/on the rocks more than your average bear... my fluid has never smelt like it was burnt.
So this whole concept of cooling the PS fluid IS most likely just overkill.
(and there;s absolutely nothing wrong with that) :thumbsup:

drakan1908
01-16-2015, 12:10 PM
When I replaced my PS pump, Cardone recommended installing a filter just in case the old pump left contaminates in the system. That would be the only reason l could see to use a filter. Since my pump just started to make noise I opted to save the money.

4.3LXJ
01-16-2015, 12:43 PM
wait. so wouldn't this pump send enough pressure to the stock gear to keep it happy turning bigger tires for a while?

Yup, that is the idea. Something else on the wish list now :D

denverd1
01-16-2015, 01:08 PM
Yup, that is the idea. Something else on the wish list now :D

I feel like I've asked this, but wouldn't underdriving the stock one help?

4.3LXJ
01-16-2015, 01:12 PM
I feel like I've asked this, but wouldn't underdriving the stock one help?

No, not for our purposes. There is a pressure relief valve in the pump that controls maximum pressure. If you under drive, it will only get there slower. Under driving is something that is popular on the drag strip for an extra horsepower. Upping the pressure is where it is at in hydraulics. The other option is to increase the size of the hydraulic cylinder, which is covered by the Durango box

denverd1
01-16-2015, 01:14 PM
hmmm... the thinking I read is that a smaller pulley get more RPM than a larger one, therefore offering more flow anyway, not sure about a higher pressure. I understand underdriving water pumps, etc for HP stuff, but I thought this was a different application of the same theory

4.3LXJ
01-16-2015, 01:21 PM
Yeah, you are right. Under driving gives higher pump rpm and volume, but not higher pressure. Ultimately it is the pressure, pounds per square inch that gives the box more push on the drag link

denverd1
01-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Thank you sir.

So in researching hydro assist, it looks like folks drill and tap the steering gear and redirect flow to the ram. how does this all work?

BTW you should write a book for wheelers. you're a pro Mr. Steve.

4.3LXJ
01-16-2015, 01:45 PM
Flattery will get you …..

Yes, you can drill and tap your own steering box or buy them that way. The hydro assist and the ram in the box both use the oil and pressure to move the steering. But be advised, both will can exceed the volume capacity of the stock pump. It is advisable to have a high volume pump for these applications. I have one already, which also has the higher pressure

denverd1
01-16-2015, 02:12 PM
Flattery will get you …..

Yes, you can drill and tap your own steering box or buy them that way. The hydro assist and the ram in the box both use the oil and pressure to move the steering. But be advised, both will can exceed the volume capacity of the stock pump. It is advisable to have a high volume pump for these applications. I have one already, which also has the higher pressure

I'm guessing the TJ pump wouldn't put out enough juice...

all it takes is time and money!!